1948 Deloqui

Guest Snicklefritz

Guest Snicklefritz

Has anyone ever heard of a car named Deloqui? I saw one today in Charleston, WV. There were only six built and were produced in Greenbrier County, WV. They were designed by the same man as the Tucker. They were built on a Ford platform with flathead V8 power and the body is fiberglass. I would appreciate any information. I'll try to post a pic. 

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

There was a gentleman who had a plant in Greenbrier County, WV just west of White Sulphur Springs.  Going only on memory I am going to say his name was De Olliqui.  He married my neighbor's daughter.  I used to work for her parents and remember the gentleman driving a grey "Square Bird" Thunderbird.  This was about 1959-60.  His plant was called RePlac.  They produced plastic panels in all different colors and he built a few roadsters.  I don't know what kind of power plants he used.  His small factory was covered with some of the panels he produced.  There is no longer a listing for his wife or any of his children in the local phone book.  His wife was expecting a child about 1959 and spent a lot of time with her parents.  When she came home from the hospital with the baby her mother drove her and the baby out to the edge of the hay field and called me over to see the baby.  I was about 20 years old.

• Like 3

Miriam de Olloqui

Miriam Belling de Olloqui, known as "Mimsie" to her friends, and "Gigi" to her children and grandchildren, peacefully passed away at home surrounded by her family with Wilson, Posey's cat, resting on her lap on Wednesday, April 27, 2016.

Mimsie was the eldest of four children of the late Vice Admiral Patrick N.L. Bellinger and Miriam Benoist.

She was married to Valentine de Ventades de Olloqui Jr. and raised her children in Lewisburg, WV.

Mimsie was active in the community in a number of organizations. Over the years, she has been involved with Garden Club, St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, Carnegie Hall, and North House, to name a few. She particularly enjoyed the feeling of family and community in Lewisburg. Evenings at Carnegie Hall, the Greenbrier valley Theatre, concerts on the lawn, and T.O.O.T. were among her many favorites.

She is survived by her sister, Patricia Bellinger Kauffmann; her children, Mimi Turner, Elena Bowers, Jane "Posey" de Olloqui, Valentine "Davey" de Olloqui, and Alan de Olloqui; and her grandchildren, Ricky Bowers, Samantha de Olloqui, Patrick Bowers, and David de Olloqui.

Friends and relatives are welcome to join Mimsie's family to celebrate her life at St. Catherine's, 407 Walnut Street, Ronceverte, WV 24970, on Friday, April 29, 2016, at 11 AM.

A reception immediately following will be held at The General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Greenbrier Valley Theatre (GVT), Carnegie Hall, Greenbrier Humane Society, or Daily Living with Father Chapin (www.mydailyliving.com) would be appreciated.

Online condolences may be made by visiting www.WallaceandWallaceFH.com.

Wallace & Wallace Funeral Home in Lewisburg is in charge of arrangements.

Obituary originally published in the April 28, 2016, edition of The West Virginia Daily News

Both John and Carl's stories mesh, so it appears that there was actually a gentleman named de Olloqui who lived in the Lewisburg - Greenbriar area of West Virginia and who apparently dabbled with building custom cars.  I would think that contacting the family of the recently-deceased Miriam de Olloqui would bear fruit in your quest to obtain information on your mystery car.  Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Grog

Guest Snicklefritz

Yes, the man who owns it said that it was produced by " the man who practically invented fiberglass " in 1948. Six cars were made before the facility burned down. A call to an elderly resident of the area verified that cars were produced there and, as you say, no info is available on the internet although one of the other cars exists in Florida. Most of the pieces are still with the car, except for the bumper and back seat. Quite a mystery. Thanks for the response. 

I am continually amazed at the knowledge that members of this forum have, and the information they can dig up.  I think that john2dameron's memory was the key to unlocking this automotive mystery.  Based on his clue, others did excellent detective/research work.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capngrog said:

I am continually amazed at the knowledge that members of this forum have, and the information they can dig up.  I think that john2dameron's memory was the key to unlocking this automotive mystery.  Based on his clue, others did excellent detective/research work.

Cheers,

Grog

I don't know how I missed that. I just remember seeing a body like that in one of my books.

That was quite a personal, detailed long ago recollection including the man's name, his company (RePlac), his daughter and so many details. Doubt very much I could do that. I'd have probably said I vaguely remember some fellow, can't recall his name, who had a fiberglass company, named some such that slips my mind....

• Like 3

Guest BillP
5 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

That was quite a personal, detailed long ago recollection including the man's name, his company (RePlac), his daughter and so many details. Doubt very much I could do that. I'd have probably said I vaguely remember some fellow, can't recall his name, who had a fiberglass company, named some such that slips my mind....

What were we talking about?

Guest Snicklefritz

Very good memory for John. He must be in his mid to late seventies. Another local man, named Tom Morgan verified the facts also and he is in his mid eighties. Anyway, we never suspected cars were produced in southern WV. 

Guest Snicklefritz

Greg, I suspect the owner wants more than I can afford. I would like to see it restored. Perhaps we can find someone willing and able to make it happen through this forum. 

There are those of us that restore model T Ford speedsters, both the factory kit bodies, and the home-made bodied cars, as faithfully as we can to how they were "back in their day". True vintage customs are as much a part of our automotive history as any Packard or Pierce Arrow.  While I personally have little interest in such newer vehicles, I think cars like this also deserve preservation and restoration.   

I hope this unusual car can get the attention it also deserves. Restored to present itself as it should have been when new.

An original Champion Body boat-tail roadster I restored some years ago.

(I hope I remember how to post a photo?)

Wish I still had it.

594f5aa489e04_scan0005(3).jpg.b04240b11756fe6424fecc730092b8aa.jpg

Just looking at the picture that the OP put up it may be that this car is one of the 49 to 51 model the documents mention. 

The wheels on the car are certainly not 41 to 48 Ford and unless they are later model F100 they will not fit the 5 on 5 1/2 inch bolt pattern that the pre 48 Ford had.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Yes, the Bellinger family was the family I was speaking of.  Admiral Bellinger was retired from the U.S.Navy and was one of the people that pioneered the use of airplanes by the Navy in World War I.  I worked part time for the family beginning about 1958 and probably continued to work for them some into 1963.  Sometime after Admiral Bellinger passed on his widow moved to Lewisburg.  At that time all four of the Bellinger children were still living.

A well-used roadster showed up in a salvage yard west of White Sulphur Springs a year or two ago.  By the time someone related to me that it was built in White Sulphur Springs it had moved on or I would have taken some photos of it.  It may be the same car that has surfaced in Charleston.

I also had the pleasure of meeting a Mr. William Tritt about October of 2000.  Mr. Tritt was the former owner of Glaspar and was credited with being the first person to build fiberglass bodies for cars.  I think they had their beginnings building fiberglass boats.  This happened about 1950.  Mr. Tritt had retired from his business in California and relocated to Monroe County, West Virginia to be near his relatives who had moved there earlier. 

As for the person who suggested I must be in my late seventies, yes, I will be 78 in November but I have loved cars since I was three years old and still love them.  That is why my house is full of automotive literature and die cast model cars and my computer is full of automobile photos.   

• Like 2

Guest Snicklefritz
On 6/23/2017 at 11:02 PM, john2dameron said:

There was a gentleman who had a plant in Greenbrier County, WV just west of White Sulphur Springs.  Going only on memory I am going to say his name was De Olliqui.  He married my neighbor's daughter.  I used to work for her parents and remember the gentleman driving a grey "Square Bird" Thunderbird.  This was about 1959-60.  His plant was called RePlac.  They produced plastic panels in all different colors and he built a few roadsters.  I don't know what kind of power plants he used.  His small factory was covered with some of the panels he produced.  There is no longer a listing for his wife or any of his children in the local phone book.  His wife was expecting a child about 1959 and spent a lot of time with her parents.  When she came home from the hospital with the baby her mother drove her and the baby out to the edge of the hay field and called me over to see the baby.  I was about 20 years old.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

Guest Snicklefritz

Hi, everyone! I appreciate all the interest and activity about the de Olloqui car. I talked to the owner today and he told me he would sell it for $7500. Is anyone interested. I told him I would ask. Thanks for looking. 

Guest Snicklefritz

The ownersays he has the other parts except the front bumper and back seat. Hi, everyone! I appreciate all the interest and activity about the de Olloqui car. I talked to the owner today and he told me he would sell it for $7500. Is anyone interested. I told him I would ask. Thanks for looking.