Rear end identification

paul55

Can anyone identify this rear end? It has been narrowed for use in a garden tractor. The tractor was built prior to 1966. The backing plates appear to have been rotated 180 degrees as the brake wheel cylinders are on the bottom. It has FoMoCo stamped on the face of the brake drum. Could this be from an early 1960's Falcon?

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

2 hours ago, roysboystoys said:

Might be tough to bleed the brakes?

Not really tough, but yes needing to bleed at line fitting.

VW early bugs around 1955, did have upside down brakes like that, BUT the wheel cylinder was made with the fitting on bottom, and bleeder at top of the low mounted cylinder.  It almost looks wrong to most USA car guys including me (the first time I saw one)

The differential is right side up as the input shaft is offset towards the ground. When the rear end was narrowed the tubes were rotated 180 degrees to position mounting pad on top of axle. This allowed mounting pad to be welded directly to frame and resulted in upside down backing plates. Does this seem right?

2 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Could be.

It would seem to that it would be easier to just weld new mount pads on.

It is not uncommon for a ear end to mount under the spring.

What spring? I don't see any.

It is on a homemade tractor. The rear end is narrowed to fit the tractor application. The mounting pattern for the backing plate is non symmetrical so I cannot correct problem by shifting backing plates from side to side and rotating 180 degrees. The axle tubes would need to be re-cut, rotated and re-welded.

IMG_1824.JPG