Trans ID/Date

I assume the transmission in my '38 Plymouth P-6 is correct/original but how can I be sure? 

Cast number on passenger side is 679887. Cast number on driver's side is 4-7. Is this one some type of date code?

I don't see any stamped numbers unless I missed them. Should there be any stamped numbers?

Thanks, Greg

There should be something like T86-1 cast into the side of it or 1T86-1 if the brake is on it. This box fits a number of Chrysler Co. vehicles from 1935 to 1939.

The case number (the number you give) should be 651357 or 651358 without brake and 651371 with brake.

It appears you have a later case... 679887 is out of a 1938 De Soto S5 Exc. 7 pass. 1T86-1 should be cast into it so it has the brake on it but no overdrive.

EDIT: the case numbers above are for 1936 Plymouth. Sorry. See post below for correct number.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Whoops. I had 1936 in my head. The numbers above are for 1936. Sorry for misleading you. I have edited the post above to show this error.

The 1938 P-6 should have a casing number of 668068. Only three parts inside would be different from the 1935 box. The De Soto box has 6 out of the main 10 parts different from 1935.

Thanks for the update. Interestingly, there is a case listed on eBay right now with this same number. It has a clear 1938 date code and they've listed it as a '38 Dodge case.

OK, my case is hot tanked and sparkling clean. Only exterior cast numbers are:

On passenger side and

4-7

on driver's side.

Inside case, oddly enough, shows a cast number as well 12B

And then I found stamped numbers (which I didn't expect) on the rear case flange. A large P5 and the smaller 41338B which certainly looks like a serial number. This number corresponds to no other number on my car. But I didn't expect it would.

See images.

20170622_180628_resized.jpg

20170622_180613_resized.jpg

20170622_180700_resized.jpg

20170622_180647_resized (1).jpg

I am working from The Hollander, 1952. So is it correct? We can't know unless someone has a low mileage known unmolested car you can look at.

Interesting the model is not cast into the case. I have read Chryco. developed gearboxes for itself in concert with Warner and maybe this is the result.

Is the '37 a P-5? If so, the Hollander shows the case with the brake as the same as '36, with "Car Mfgs. # " of 668068.

I don't think I need to locate a low mileage unmolested car. I think I just to to find someone who has a book that covers the 1938 DPCD model year.

I'm not familiar with "the Hollander" is it a shop manual author similar to Mitchell or Chilton here in the US?

"Is the '37 a P-5? If so, the Hollander shows the case with the brake as the same as '36, with "Car Mfgs. # " of 668068."

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

The Hollander is an interchange guide. You can see the web site at http://hollanderinterchange.net/

I wondered if the P-5 stamped in the top of the box could refer to a Ply P-5 - I am not familiar with models of this era. It appears not?

I have Chilton information for 1927-33 only. It is pretty basic compared to The Hollander.

I also have an Interchange Guide by the Automotive Publishing Co. of about 1942. It shows the 1938 Chrysler and DeSoto interchange separately to the 1938 Plymouth and Dodge, which means the DeSoto and Plymouth may not, according to this guide.

Thank you Chrycoman. That is just the info I was looking for. B)

I found a service manual that listed the '38 Plymouth trans as a P5 as well.

Best, Greg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Looks like its part # 679888 which is the part # for a 1938 P5,P6,D8 &D9 transmission case. Casting #'s are typically 1 digit off the part # on a lot of mechanical parts. I have a copy of the 1938 parts book dated Nov 1 ,1938. It's a Canadian book...# WM-3561. The 4-7 is a date code...possibly 4th quarter 1937...maybe 4th month 1937 .