'63 Riviera gear selector plate

Loren@65GS.com

The plastic selector plate was in rough condition. The letters were almost completely gone and it had a lot of fine scratches on the top side.  I figured I couldn't make it any worse.

First off, I cleaned it, then polished it to remove the scratches.  Roxy made a stencil for the letters and after many attempts got it figured out. Now the pattern is saved to the computer should it be needed in the future.

I applied the stencil to the victim at hand.  Painted the letters with a color that is really close , if not right on. Hard to tell if there is a difference. I allowed the letter color to dry and then added the divider marks. Color for these isn't perfect, but not too bad.

I think it turned out well.

Loren@65GS.com

SAM_1383.JPG

SAM_1384.JPG

SAM_1385.JPG

• Like 2

Great work, cool solution! ??

I had the same problem with the shifter plate of my 65...

Here is the solution I worked out:

I first designed the plate in adobe InDesign with the apropriate font and made several tests by printing the layout on a filmlayer. To have it more glossy, I printed side flipped, so the back of the film is side up. After that, I glued the film on a precutted transluside (milky) plexiglass plate and sprayed the whole thing with a transparent epoxy color spray. Came out not bad neether!

But at the end, I found the refurbished original was better to reinstall... but for someone who's plate is completely cracked and not restorable, this way of doing should be not bad neether ???

If somebody is in need of a new 65 shifter plate and want to do it the way I did, take the attached PDF. Size fits 1:1 and it is vectorised in lineart (no pixels, only vectors ?)

good luck!

Shift indicator.pdf