Auburn 1928 6-76

Guest CEZAR01

Guest CEZAR01

Hello.

I'm new here, so if I'm wrong with something, excuse me.

I just work hard to restore an Auburn model 6-76, 3 months ago was in a bad shape, now looks more appropiate, but I face some problems.

I don't have any idea how the wooden parts are coming into place.

No photos. 

looks like that at the begining.

Now is sandblasted and covered with primer.

BUT. ...always is a but. I am stuck. Don't have any idea how the floor is. For doors we have an carpenter and he did a good job.

I need photos if someone has. PLEASE.

If is possible, I can give you an fcb adress to send photos- is much more faster. At work I only work, and don't have time to computer.

I have another question- if someone can tell how expensive is a clutch sun  and a distributor..

with best regards..

Fotografie6455.jpg

Fotografie6850.jpg

IMG_20170512_152931.jpg

IMG_20170615_153917.jpg

4 hours ago, CEZAR01 said:

I need photos if someone has. PLEASE.

Hi, WELCOME to YOU! my friend!

I am somewhat too busy right this moment, but we all can try for sure.

4 hours ago, CEZAR01 said:

I just work hard to restore

^^yes, I do know how Hard it can be, but the AACA will help you, but we need a bit more "talk"

are you in South America? if yes, which area do you think your Auburn was when new?  And, Is that body shape not normal factory body type?  could it be Custom made in South America when the chassis was new?

I will tell more when I find the time,  soon. 

Guest CEZAR01

Hello.. yes, I'm from south... of another continent.;) -I'm in Europe.

Here, Retro car authority said that they DON"T have a car like that in the country. Is the ONLY one. Maybe in Europe could be another one?? who knows..?

The body shape looks is original. Unchanged. I don't find any serial number for chasis. I look all over- where should  be-, but...  

Engine is WS.. 6 in line, original, cilinders looks nice inside.

Wheels are from another movie.. headlights also...I know...

But we have the frame for cover roof!:P

But now, the main concern is the floor- how looks like.

And the price of parts I asked...

If you need more photos..say.

if I send via facebook messenger- is better for you?

Fotografie6511.jpg

Edited by CEZAR01 (see edit history)

Hi- welcome to the forum, and glad to see another old car being brought back to life, regardless of continent!

Please continue posting pictures of progress, we all love to see that, as sometimes our own progress on projects is well short of our personal expectations!

Am glad to hear you've booted the boot, what  a great project...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CEZAR01 said:

Hello.. yes, I'm from south... of another continent.;) -I'm in Europe.

Thank YOU...  Because you said what I needed,      >>> IF you were >South America, then it Could be a S.A. Custom body.  They did that a lot in S.A,.

Knowing you are Europe, now I WOULD know your car is not a S.A. custom body.  Mostly those were >  made in  either Argentina or  Brazil!  (BIG Cities! that make a lot of metal things besides cars)

The body shape looks is original. Unchanged.

^^^^ Yes! I needed that Answer, too,> Thanks for that info

But now, the main concern is the floor- how looks like.

I work on many cars that are missing all floor wood completely.  If These cars have no others to compare to...  It is simple thinking, to find out what the floor parts need to fit on, OR fit around shifter, OR hold body skin edges with nails.  But, not simple is partly clamping all panels and doors  on, to get the patterns right.  I will add a picture of my ROUGH car, needing most rear body wood, now.  Part of front wood is fixable.

DSCN0878.thumb.JPG.9b7bd60e48ff398fa7d46d412574b468.JPG

Next pic:  shows how I strapped the side door onto back body panel, and also cowl panel in front of door.  The door needs to be clamped perfectly, and each gap must be perfect,  NOT almost perfect.  THEN I can get some but NOT all measurements.  Many things are needed next.

20170601_165650.thumb.jpg.bc9af58b8e1c813c5a203ca8485ca750.jpg

YOUR body TYPE is very, very, easy, > compared to my two door, because yours is like a simple wooden crate shape, not all rounded like mine!

If you get stuck and never find the pictures of what it looked like., you must consider trying to make your own wood patterns.

It is too many hours to type how to know how to make measurements needed, make the patterns on wood boards, and have all doors and body panels to fit correctly.

If you cannot find those pics for months, and NEED to try your own wood, maybe I can write a plan.

Guest CEZAR01

Ok, a drawing will be best, please tell how come the wooden material, from back to front or from left to right?

I can"t imagine.

I will give pictures with what we done to the door panels to say if is ok 

Lat edit..

For me this is the first car soooo old, before I restore some vw beetle and buses T2A and B, so I don"t have experience in this area...And also, here, I don"t believe are many people with experience with soo old cars. Was a challenge to me and my son(is in that picture) to start...

38 minutes ago, CEZAR01 said:

For me this is the first car soooo old, before I restore some vw beetle and buses T2A and B, so I don"t have experience in this area...And also, here, I don"t believe are many people with experience with soo old cars. Was a challenge to me and my son(is in that picture) to start...

Cezar,,,, you must never allow any past experiences or non experience to be a reason to doubt you can learn, or prove you do not NEED to learn!!

Ok, listen Cezar;  I went to VW Aircooled dealership career in January of 1970.  I was always VW mechanic most of the years to 1980.

But, as A hobby, I was working on old vintage USA cars since I was 13 years old...around 1964? 

I have smaller hands as width, and very agile fingers, thin arms, so I can chage a 1963 VW bug generator in far lees that VW time chart.  I can do it in 35 minutes easy, IF it is not a car left in salt water for 10 years!  But, if I was fat, fat arms, short fingers...I would have had a short time with VW !!  You need always, to remember... You use what Cezar HAS, like missing wood, but maybe GOOD chassis, and Ok motor, and then you clear your head (forget all past negative reasons on WHY you can't make wood!)

Then if clear head, you now stand back and really look a long, slow time,  at what "is" no BIG problem for > "Cesar and local help<,

...and THEN, if you see the wood REALLY Still seems impossible, but all else "we" can find a way to fix.??    Then the wood is too much problem for you to do NOW, but you MAY later, find local help that can easily DO wood!....why should Cezar not be working normal speed with friends RIGHT NOW on everything except wood?

If you get sad because the wood seems so much harder that you can ever conquer, You must know, at some point of clear mind always, you shoiuld never give up on the rest of car.......now you stay happy, even though no wood helper yet. 

All I can say, is, >stay working normal speed, take time to think out each part of the whole car, then do all that and this keeps you busy/happy, and if you finish everything perfect besides the wood, then stand back AGAIN, to look a long time, and now you see that "Oh, all is done to perfection, so I MUST try the wood if still no helper".  The wood problem seems not so challenging if you always stayed happy while doing all the rest!

If you try to tackle the wood in the middle of the whole project, that is bad,, You will waste valuable time while strugging and trying to learn, RATHER that not struggle at all, by finishing all else before thinking TOO hard ion the wood!

Wood is very easy on that body type.  That long box style is the best style to learn on,  Trust me.    Reason: Most pieces you cut to fit really are sort of easy shapes and mostly flat, mostly straight!  Mine is a pile of curved pieces, not easy to make patterns, and very hard to install...compared to a long box!!

DSCN0856.thumb.JPG.0183b5b93a08847e3ad7a414b69e50c5.JPGDSCN0867.thumb.JPG.5e51feddcdf13c60930af55c1826660d.JPGDSCN0861.thumb.JPG.e785d2c7e3f855d394899fef6ccf57f1.JPG

^^^^ See  ^^^ some wood was cut to rough sizes by person who gave up on this car,,,then he passed away.   Some wood parts shown, are not trimmed for correct length, some I cannot yet know why yhe guy cut angles or if the wood X even was for that car???   I will start in a back corner first, because I did find some brackets that give a way to start someplace,.  then, if that seems ok after those wood parts, now I do not feel so lost!  Cezar...it took a lot of testing or mostly looking to find the first place...but I always looked only at rest time!!  Never during normal working hours,...that way it did become more clear as I was still clear headed, look by other look later that day. 

Guest CEZAR01
8 hours ago, F&J said:

Cezar,,,, you must never allow any past experiences or non experience to be a reason to doubt you can learn, or prove you do not NEED to learn!!

Who said I doubt? I always look for a challenge, BUT instead doing something wrong I rather prefere to ask someone who knows better.

You use what Cezar HAS, like missing wood, but maybe GOOD chassis, and Ok motor, and then you clear your head (forget all past negative reasons on WHY you can't make wood!)

Then if clear head, you now stand back and really look a long, slow time,  at what "is" no BIG problem for > "Cesar and local help<,

...and THEN, if you see the wood REALLY Still seems impossible, but all else "we" can find a way to fix.??    Then the wood is too much problem for you to do NOW, but you MAY later, find local help that can easily DO wood!....why should Cezar not be working normal speed with friends RIGHT NOW on everything except wood?

If you get sad because the wood seems so much harder that you can ever conquer, You must know, at some point of clear mind always, you shoiuld never give up on the rest of car.......now you stay happy, even though no wood helper yet. 

Well. the car is not mine, I'm only ,,restore team leader'',  and the owner want  me to do what he said- right now he wanted to put togheter all ,,lego'' parts- doors, firewall, back of the car, to see the shape. I do what HE said to do.

For that I need to get an idea how the wood came in position.

Really, noone had a picture with a floor? ANY picture, to give me an idea?

For now, engine and other thing are not important, we focus only to body.

Guest CEZAR01

Owner put us to reassamble parts, that come like that

So, we need an idea about how come the floor. To fix that parts.

IMG_20170626_093000.jpg

IMG_20170626_093020.jpg

IMG_20170626_093117.jpg

IMG_20170626_093123.jpg

You're missing all the wood sills and wood framework that holds the body together, apparently.  There are wooden sills that follow the frame, and are bolted to frame, which form the foundation for the entire body.

Surely someone has pictures of a similar car being restored, even another make would give an idea of how these were constructed.  It's major work but there's a lot of wood in that body that needs to be fabricated. 

Great project and best of luck in finishing it!

Guest BillP

Here is a replica of the 1929 Cabin Speedster. It may be of no help, but maybe something you can use. These two cars are in the  La Porte County Historical Society Museum in LaPorte Indiana 46350, Phone 219-324-6767. You could probably ask them to send some more photos.

1929-auburn-cabin-speedster-07620.jpg

3358764908_d6ef95d6eb_b.jpg

Wooden frame substructure for the 1929 Auburn Cabin Speedster.JPG

Edited by BillP (see edit history)

Guest CEZAR01
On 29.06.2017 at 8:53 AM, PFindlay said:

Hello Cezar, I have a 1927 Auburn 6-66.  I will try to take some pictures of the floor for you.

Peter

I can"t wait, I lost my sleep...

Lat edit.

BillP, thank you for pictures, looks similar but don"t help for now. 

For calling them- we are a ,,bit" outside from US...

Hello Cesar,

Here are some pictures of my 32' Olds wood framework. It shows the main body sills and the door pillars that support the door hinges on one end and the door latches on the other. These pictures will give you an idea of what others have been telling you that you will need to build the floor and door support structure.

image8.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Guest CEZAR01

:)

GREAT PICTURES, THKS!

I show to the wooden master, we try to use them (pictures :D I mean, not the master..) like a guide.

Cesar

I have two such projects waiting for attention and have being collecting photos. None of these are mine!

Some pictures of a 31 Auburn cabriolet under construction and a 1925 Buick touring with the skin off  which would be closer to yours.( neither are  mine) . As you can see , it gets complicated!

I think that the touring is less complicated than the cabriolet but have done neither so my opinion is uninformed.

There is a 28 Auburn open car for sale on Hemmings. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?0=0&adtypeFacet=Vehicles for Sale&sort=sort_time_desc&page_size=15&makeFacet=Auburn. 

Maybe give the owner a call and see if he will help you. He is in my car club but a different chapter so I'm not acquainted with him. We are generally a friendly, helpful bunch!

What you really need are the diagonals and widths ( top, middle and bottom) at each opening across the car  ( front and back of each door opening so 4 openings)  to get the lines of the car set up right.

Brad

2545 wood frame bcc aus.jpg

1931AuburnCabFrame2.jpg

1931AuburnCabFrame1.jpg

31aubcabwoodrightrear.jpg

31cabframe3.jpg

1931AuburnCabFrame4.jpg

Edited by bradsan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest BillP

It occurred to me that this may very well be the last time these cars will have their wood replaced. They will reside in warm, dry places and never be subject to rot and decay, the wood will last indefinitely. As I continued to ponder, I remembered this horrifying scene: (trivia questions, what movie, and bonus, ID the two cars).

MV5BMGFkZDM0NjctMmQ5MS00YjE4LTg1NzItZTllMjY3YzUzMjFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,962_AL_.jpg