lancemb

My 1957 75R - Big Gray

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Something old, and something new!  Nice mix Lance!

Thanks!  These shiny bits keep me motivated to keep moving forward with the rest of it!  Plus, these small tasks are something I can do when I only have an hour or two.  If I don't have at least a half day to work in the garage, it's not really worth the time consumed getting dirty and taking the extra shower, getting out and putting tools away, and sweeping up.

• Like 2

Man, some of these front end pieces were the hardest bolts yet to get out!  

I don't know how I'll get the new spring in.  The fork from the spring compressor wouldn't even fit between the coils on the old one, so I had a heck of a time getting it out.  

Neat to see the big area of nice original paint color!20171105_214216.thumb.jpg.8721b3f058b0b3848e36b694a54bdbd9.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Neat to see the big area of nice original paint color!20171105_214216.thumb.jpg.8721b3f058b0b3848e36b694a54bdbd9.jpg

And as I noted on my all too short a visit, the car is really solid given it's 66,000 miles and will be beautiful when she is done! B)

Sadly for me, I think you will have yours done the way you are going before I get my Limited done...  

• Like 2

When I did the springs on the limited with no front end weight, I made a spring compressor and used a combo of that and some orange ratchet straps from home depot.  It was scary.  I hate front springs 

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

Threaded rod in the shock location?

Well that's basically how the spring compressor works.  The issue is, unless the new coils have fewer twists than the original, the fork at the bottom, which has ridges to keep itself in place, will be too thick to remove from the spring once the spring is in place.  If I can find one that's lower profile it would work fine.  Wish I still had the ones from my dad's shop but I can't find any like them anymore!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Smartin said:

When I did the springs on the limited with no front end weight, I made a spring compressor and used a combo of that and some orange ratchet straps from home depot.  It was scary.  I hate front springs 

Scary indeed...I nearly left the old ones since they weren't broken and am now regretting I didn't, but I'm past the point of no return!  I used ratchet straps to keep it from flinging apart when I disassembled it but have no desire to attempt the reverse.