63-65 OEM Battery and Starter Cable Lengths?

first64riv

Hey,

I'm going to make my own cables and the negative post cable I've got here is labeled Delco 1E16.  Is this original?  16"?  AC Delco lists the replacement at 23" and 30".  What is the original length?  It may be the original cable because I had an original spark plug in the #1 cylinder.  The other seven were replaced...go figure.

I have the same questions for the positive terminal and the starter cable.  I have no reference for the positive because the previous owner replaced it with audio power cable.  I'm not ready to pull the starter cable yet because I don't have any loom to wrap the new cable with.

Any replies are appreciated!

Chris

Chris-

From the 1963 Buick Master Chassis Parts Book*, the original GM part numbers for the 1963 Riviera models are:

Battery Positive to Terminal Block (on inner fender):    2982505

Terminal Block to Starter:       2982509

Battery Ground Cable        2982507

I have a 1964 parts cross reference book that quotes the following lengths for the above:

2982505      34 inches

2982509      32 inches

2982507      23 inches

The cross reference book is NOT a GM document, it is from an aftermarket supplier.  

It also lists GM part numbers for the cables for 1964:

Battery Positive to Terminal Block (on inner fender):    2982505  (same part number as 1963)

Terminal Block to Starter:       2983866            32 inches  (same length as 1963, but different part number)

Battery Ground Cable        2983775             22 inches (1 inch shorter than 1963)

I hope this helps.

GM has a date coding system.  Google it and you will find how to read your cables.

* I sell this on CD for $10 plus postage.

Jim,

That absolutely helps.  Those measurements just seem so dang long.  A 16" cable is perfect from the PS pump to the ground post.  I guess I'll have to dig up, and by dig up I mean Google, images of the original cable routing.  I'll check my 64 manual tonight too.

Thank you for the information!

Chris

Keep in mind that the ground post on the Riviera goes on the fender side of the battery compartment, and the positive post goes over by the radiator. Many people install the battery backwards.  If installed on the fender side, the positive post can short out against the underside of the hood, sometimes with messy results.

And there is also a picture in the 1963 Service Bulletins*  (I assume carried forward into 1964 -- if so, would be in the '64 shop manual) of routing the positive battery cable between the battery hold down rod and the battery itself.  That makes the cable run a bit longer.

* I sell this on CD, for 1963 and 1964, for $10 ea. plus postage, $12 for 1965 (2 CD set)

So...here's "the rest of the story..."

The 1E16 is definitely not the OEM length. I was a little upset that I didn't look through the service manual prior to making up the cable.  My battery negative post is closest to the fender side but the stud it's tied to on the PS bracket is the wrong side.  It was done that way because it didn't reach the correct stud.  Well, stupidly, I made the cable 17".  I should have made it 6" longer, which I could have.  I ended up ordering another cable and ring terminals.

Rivnut - I've read your stories.  I've got a nifty terminal that shows the voltage of the battery and it has a plastic cover on it.  I bought it because of the plastic protector so I wouldn't short the positive to the hood.

That is all.

Chris

Edited by first64riv
Because I write like a first grader at times. (see edit history)