1940 Oldsmobile wipers

billorn

I'm helping an older friend in our local club with his 1940 Olds 2-door. It leaks around the wiper towers when it rains. Ya ya, I know, dont drive it in the rain. Definitely not the cowl vent. Water comes in pretty hard on his shoes and pants when it rains and it looks like the gasket under the chrome wiper fixture on the outside of the car is shot. Not the wiper arm but the chrome potmetal housing the arm attaches to. Anyway can anyone give me a tip on getting this wiper off the car or at least lossening it enough that we can slide the gasket under it? Its buried up in the dash with the defroster vent and the wiper motor and wires and stuff. What holds it in? Maybe I could do it if I could figure out how it fits together. Anybodys thoughts and solutions have my friend's thanks!

Nobody knows what holds those wipers on the cowl? I even tried using mirrors and a flashlight and I cant quite see what holds it all together. A diagram or something would be helpful. I bet its the same for other cars, I just dont have any experience with prewar cars like this. I'll try posting down in the Olds forum thanks for the suggestion.

Here is a partial listing of people here (or hear at one time) that have (or had) a 1940 Oldsmobile  They were found by using the search term "1940 Olds" in the search box found at the upper right corner of the web page.  You can search them in the membe r database and send them a PM for help.  Good luck! -

hackers 

Erndog 

drcheco66 

GOOBER 

AC Fuhrman 

pitman

Phillip Cole 

Tool J720 what is it?
Phillip Cole replied to GaWajn's topic in General Discussion
Found it: The Old Cars Project has a 1940 Olds  Manual that shows a picture with J720 making the adjustment. Looks like a plain Allen wrench to me...

steveam 

classicone64

I have a '38 Buick and I expect that the Olds wiper towers are similar.

To replace the gasket the entire tower will have to be removed and that is a PITA. The single bolt holding the tower in is behind the defroster duct and that will have to be removed to get at the bolt.

In nthe upper right corner you can see the tower and the clamp that holds it. You can just barely see the bolt that holds it.

They can very stuck to the body after the bolt and clamp is removed.

I hope this helps

DSCN2446.JPG