Did 30's Era Plymouths Come With....

...jacks and lug wrenches from the factory, or was this something the buyer had to purchase post-sale?

If they did come with jack and lug wrench, anybody have a picture of what they're supposed to look like?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I believe that they did come with a basic tool set that included the jack and lug wrench. My'36 Dodge has brackets and straps in the front seal cushion well to secure the tools although I have never seen a photo of a complete set or of the correct jacks.

That looks like a nice little tool kit. Thanks for posting the image. 

I'm starting to hunt for a period correct jack for my '38 P6 coupe. I just wanted to make sure I found something that looked close to whatever the original jack may have looked like.

The spare wheel is mounted vertically in the luggage compartment. The trunk is spacious, while moisture and dust cannot penetrate.

Suitcases and bags of all sizes can easily be stored without a lying spare wheel occupying too much of the useful space.

The Dodge Luxury Toolbox contains all tools necessary for normal repairs. In addition, all tools have been stored in this handy bag.

The front seat is adjustable by an easy-to-apply knob. At the same time as sliding forward, the seat goes up to give the driver more view and better legroom.

Translation by Google, edited by me in the interest of clarity.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Some early luxury cars came with complete tool kits so the chauffeur could do his normal servicing. By the 30s you got a jack and wheel wrench, the wheel wrench doubling as a jack handle in newer cars.

Owners usually cabbaged the jack when selling the car and threw it under the work bench in the back of the garage where it was never used. They turn up at swap meets if you know what yours is supposed to look like.

Have never seen a tool kit like the Dodge illustration, but even VWs came with a little tool kit up into the 60s and 70s. I think this is a nicety the European buyer expected as standard equipment. Probably the Dutch importer supplied a locally sourced tool kit after complaints from customers and potential customers. The tools have a European look especially the Monkey wrench.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, again, John, I appreciate your help with these photos. These are just a couple of pictures of someone's '36 Dodge tool tray. Obviously the hydraulic jack and the fire extinguisher are modern items, but maybe the jack and other items were correct. I expect that a '38 Ply would be nearly identical. If you look closely, you'll see the jack, the jack handle, the jack itself, the tire iron and the crank all neatly stowed in place. What might have come in the tool bag is anyone's guess.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Yes, great pics, thanks.

So for the '38 model year, which didn't have this handy tray area under the seat, I suppose everything was bagged or boxed in the trunk?

It occurs to me that the tool bag may have been for the jack and, maybe, the tire iron instead of tools. I've often seen the jack and a coupe of tools in a vinyl bag on much newer vehicles. I'm sure it wouldn't cut down on the rattles much, but it could keep things from rolling around.

• 2 months later...