Rebuild Garford horn

verng

If it is a motor driven horn, and the problem is the motor, try an electrical motor shop. They can rewind the armature and coils and supply brushes. If it is a vibrator horn open it up and clean the points, if that doesn't wake it up try the electric shop also.There are some specialty shops for restoring antique horns but you could try close to home first.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Well I took the horn off to inspect it. I wasn't sure what to look for but the more I studied it I figured out how it worked. The motor would turn but there was no sound. I finally figured out someone had taken the horn apart and didn't assemble it right. The little nipple on the flat disc that makes the noise wasn't running on the gear that moves it up and down. The reassembled it and adjusted the space between it and now it works great. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone  One project done!

Just remember to blow it every once in a while or the armature may stick when you need it.  I hadn't blown my Klaxon for several years and one day I needed it and it was on strike, wouldn't blow.  Now I let it know I appreciate it by sounding it a couple of times a year.