Help Troubleshoot 4 Note Horns

Riviera63

Hi,

I got my main wiring harness fixed up for the 4 note horns and installed. When I hit the horns I only get the stock horns. I have tested the hood mounted horns individually by jumping them to the battery and they work fine. When tested individually or as a pair hooked up with the main wiring harness all I get is a fainting clicking when I depress the horn bar. Any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Try unhooking the two clam she'll horns and see if the harness will carry enough juice to activate the long horns.  Can you draw and post a schematic of the way you wired the Horns?  

Ed,

You have solved the problem indirectly for me by having me go to a diagram. I was going to scan the page from the chassis manual that shows the wiring for the horns and put it in the thread when I replied to you. I looked at the diagram again and then went back out to the car to take a look. Operator error seems to be the problem. For some reason I plugged the brown wire from the horn relay into the wiring harness instead of the blue wire. Why? I don't know. Switched the wires around and everything is as it should be. The horns sound fantastic. I can't wait to try them out on someone. It should not take very long to find my first victim with the way people drive. Thanks.

Bill

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

If you want to victimize someone, park next to a railroad crossing and hit your horn when someone is about to cross the tracks!

Winston,

That's hilarious! I will keep that in mind.

Bill

When they were younger, my kids called the horns on my 63 the "World's of Fun" train horn.  It was about as loud as the train on the steam engine that runs around the park.  My younger daughter drove the car to school one semester. When she'd pull up behind a couple of "jerks" walking down the center of the aisle in the parking lot she could sneak up behind them and "toot" the horns - ass hole and elbows flying along side dropped books and scattered papers. She'd have tears in her eyes from laughing so hard.  Ah! The good ol' days.

Ed

• Like 1