97 Riviera Speedometer

Guest killaswa6

Guest killaswa6

Hey everyone, Im a new Buick Riviera owner....Ive always loved this car and I picked one up not too long ago with only 120 on it....Not bad for a 97. There are a few things I need to fix and Im trying to diagnose some of the issues so Please chime in with any help or thoughts that may help....

Currently im dealing with a problem with my speedometer and also fuel gauge....I figured id list them both jus in case they may be related (instrument cluster) or something....

My gas tank works until it reaches about half a tank then it starts being erratic. Sometimes going on E then moving back up to half a tank. or a little more.

My speedometer works until it reaches 60 mph, it wont go over that...Itll maxes out at 60....its accurate while descending on driving slower speeds....

Not sure if this is 2 seperate problems and im tight on cash so I figured Id ask and see if anyone can help me out.....

Thanks again for any help

Dean

The gas gauge problem is a bad sending unit in the gas tank. Practically all 1995 -2004 GM cars had bad sending units installed

in them. I've seen that problem thousands of times in my shop. The speedometer problem is very unusual, but if it reads perfectly until it gets to 60 I would bet it is a problem in the instrument cluster.

As Winston states above, the last generation Riv's are famous for sending units failing.  The good news is there is an access panel in the trunk so you won't have to drop the tank to replace it.  I bought my unit for my old 97 from Rock Auto several years ago.  Not sure if they still have them in stock but if they do, you can't beat their prices and quick turn around.  Not sure what your issue is with the speedometer but you can expect a few electrical gremlins as the cars get older.

Mechanically, the 3800 V6 is very reliable and durable and will go 200,000+ miles if it has been properly maintained.  The weakness with the Series II which your car has, is the intake manifold gasket will fail.  Chances are yours has already been replaced.  Good luck and please keep us posted.