How can I find out the number of RHD built?

Guest Premiumjane

Guest Premiumjane

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many RHD Buick Roadmaster Straight Eights were build in 1938?

Many thanks

Many times, such RHD vehicles were "conversions" from LHD vehicles.  NOT factory-produced, which is probably why no figures might exist.

NOW, what might exist is the number of Roadmasters shipped to ultimate locations/markets where RHD was the Rule of the Road.  Those cars would, naturally, need conversions to RHD by some entity in that area.  IF they were to remain in those areas for the long term, possibly, or the drivers adjusted to "driving on the wrong side of the road" with LHD vehicles. 

Many years ago, some people from a RHD country attended one of our (other brand) car shows.  They converted their coveted 1960s era cars to RHD themselves.  What they did was make a mold of the original instrument panel it self, then reverse it and make a RHD panel to accept all of the factory gauges and such.  A mirror image of sorts.  Plus adapting the steering and other manual controls for driving the vehicle.  All fabricated "on site".  The pictures they had were outstanding and obviously involved many hours of work.

In some cases, as 1955-6 Chevrolets, the basic designs of the instrument panels had mirror images of the lh side on the rh side.  Not sure if it was to help with the RHD conversion process or not.

In those earlier times, Buick was the "export brand" for General Motors.  General Motors also had assembly plants in Europe in some years, but I suspect they built LHD vehicles in them.  A first-gen Camaro used to be on the car show circuit.  It was built to order in Antwerp for a military emlistee customer, then shipped to the USA when his tour of duty was over.  Looks like a normal USA-built Camaro, other than the kph speedometer (kilometers rather than miles) and a few other "export" items.  And, of course, the VIN tags which denote where the vehicle was built.

Hope this might help,

NTX5467

I happened to run across a Riview that was an extra that I had for some reason.  Before tossing it, I looked through it some and found an article with the title "Right-hand Conversion."  In the article, the owner of the car talks about the car being imported in 1974 and taken to Chapel Engineering in Melbourne for the conversion.  From what this would tell me, cars were imported then converted.

If that car was in Australia from new it would most likely be a Fisher body and come RHD from the factory.  Most Buicks here up to about 1952/ 53 were imported RHD chassis and running gear from the US / Canadian factories.  The local body builder Holden would have made most of the sheet metal for the body here.  They would have been just about all Special models.  Super and Roadmaster cars were imported, there may have been some local content in them.  After the early 1950s Buicks were privately imported and underwent the LHD > RHD conversion locally  ---- and Chapel Engineering was one of them, a well known company.    A very good conversion by them I believe.

A lot of cars were " backyard "  converted and not very good.  Because now we have relaxed rules in regard to LHD vehicles on our roads, most " new " Buicks imported into our country ( pre 1980s ) are kept LHD.  The cost of conversion and engineering, red tape etc. is cost prohibitive.

Edited by Rooster (see edit history)

On 6/14/2017 at 2:57 AM, Premiumjane said:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many RHD Buick Roadmaster Straight Eights were build in 1938?

What county are you in?

On 6/17/2017 at 11:35 PM, NTX5467 said:

Many times, such RHD vehicles were "conversions" from LHD vehicles.  NOT factory-produced, which is probably why no figures might exist.

As post above by Rooster, pre WW11 a lot of  RHD Buicks were factory produced/sold. Would have been for the RHD countries like UK, India, Australia, New Zealand & South Africa. Some locally assembled (Aust & ??)  and others fully imported

In Australia for 1939 some series 90 were built by Martin & King (Melb) on imported running chassis. India still has a number of larger series RHD Buicks

But series 80 Roadmaster would have been sold in low numbers in all countries. 

Guest Premiumjane

Thanks for the info.  My Roadmaster was first registered in South African and I guess was made for the market there. It was imported to the UK back in the 80s.

Buick

I believe that UK market Buicks in the 1930s were built at the McLaughlin plant in Canada and shipped in CKD form. This avoided import duties because, of course, Canada was British Empire at the time. I speculate that it would have made sense for all RHD Buicks to have been built there wherever their final destination. So it might be worth you researching the McLaughlin Plant output.

Hope this helps.

Adam.. 

Edited by Alfa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Dave Corbin, the person who could give you a definitive answer is no longer with us. As Rooster stated the Buick Factory produced numbers of complete RHD vehicles destined for export to RHD countries up until the early 50's. They also supplied RHD stripped chassis for local body builders to complete assembly and supply a locally built body.

Cars built ( completely ) in the USA for export were identified by an X after the model number. Unfortunately the total number of X models include both LHD and RHD destined for export.

An example of this was Dave Corbin's  answer regarding my 1936 66CX Convertible Coupe

Dave had daily build sheets which identified RHD and LHD numbers and could advise that of a total run of 49 1936 66CX Convertible Coupes built at Buick for export 9 of them were RHD and destined for Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Singapore or maybe even Japan ( and any other RHD country? ).

The 1936 Book of Parts ( and Buick Master Parts Books ) list the individual RHD components which includes many items you wouldn't normally think were different. It's very annoying when you buy something simple from the USA like a speedo drive cable and find its 12" too short!!

I have supplied the various model production numbers for 1938 as found in the excellent Dunham and Gustin book THE BUICK A COMPLETE HISTORY.

You haven't advised what body style your Roadmaster is  but if it is a model 81X four door sedan a total of 199 were produced and a smaller number ( maybe only 25% would be RHD )

As you say the car originally came from South Africa it would certainly be Buick USA built ( no local body produced in South Africa for Buick )

Also, would be interesting to see the body tag attached to the cowl. This will give more information.   

img-170620144753-001.jpg

img-170620144657-001.jpg

img-170620145101-001.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Alfa said:

I believe that UK market Buicks in the 1930s were built at the McLaughlin plant in Canada and shipped in CKD form. This avoided import duties because, of course, Canada was British Empire at the time. I speculate that it would make sense for all RHD Buicks to be built the wherever there final destination. So it might be worth you researching the McLaughlin Plant output.

No.  Not always

The  NZ pre war Buicks are Fisher body on USA chassis. As are the Buick's I saw when I lived in South Africa.

I am only aware of 1 1937 (or 38?) McLaughlin Buick in NZ

McLaughlin Buick are tagged McLaughlin. Some like 1938 & 1939 (and other years?) McLaughlin have 6 wheels studs vs 5 for USA Fisher, so easy to identify.

For 1939 McLaughlin Buick interior is different to 1939 USA Buick, so easy to identify.

Engine serial numbers ex Canada of this era often start with a W (Walkerville, Ontario)

At least 1 1939 46C sold new in UK that is now in NZ is USA Buick Fisher and not McLaughlin. I have photos of the data plate. Fisher body #3

Argentina was RHD until about WW2. There are some RHD ex Argentina cars in Australia (Fords & Chevs)

There is a book "Buick's across the Pond and beyond" [published in Australia] on non USA Buicks

As above, a photo of the firewall data plate, chassis number & engine number would be interesting

From the photo link above and pasted below is a 81X. Good looking car

1938 UK-RSA buick.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick
added image (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Thriller said:

If I recall, Dave's USA research was donated to the Buick Heritage Alliance. 

Hadn't heard that.

If Dave's records are with the Buick Heritage Alliance they also require someone who can interrogate/analize the information as Dave could - would be really invaluable information.

Maybe if Sean Smith ( Sean1997 on this Forum ) had access he could give definitive answers to questions such as this.

Anyone know for sure if they are there and if they can be accessed?  

• Like 1