bluriv

bluriv

To keep your speedometer as close to the actual speed of the car, 225/75R15 tires are what you want.  It really depends on what "look" you're going for.  The 1965 Riviera originally came with 8.45 x 15 tires, but they're the same size as the 63 / 64s 7.60 X 15;  the tire manufactures just changed the way tires were designated.  That size was used through 1969.  In 1970 Buick and all other car manufacturers went to the letter series tires - L78, G60, etc. Then in 1973 the letter series radials were introduced - LR78, HR70, etc.  It wasn't until 1980 that the p-metric sized radials were introduced, using the 215/75R15 type designation.  The only way to get "original" style tires is to get them through Covers, Universal, or one of the other classic tire companies. BUT, even there you're out of luck. No one reproduces 8.45x15 tires.  

As I said earlier, it depends on what you're wanting in a tire.  For originality, you'll probably want either the 225/75R15 or a 225/70R15.  Read what others say by searching the archives.

There's a conversion chart for going from your original size to the P-metric sizes for each year Riviera on the ROA's website.

Just do a lot of research on your own to be completely satisfied.

Ed

PS - I had 235/70 tires on one of my 1st generation Rivieras once and there was tire against frame rub with that big of a tire.  I even got some tire rub, at extreme lock, with the 225/70 tires on another one.  For best ride, etc. my preference is the 225/75R15.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK BluRiv:  I'm with Mike S. on this one.  225 70 15 is perfect.  I recently purchased a set of Venesian Classics whitewalls for $325 on line.  I mounted them and Costco balanced all; 4 of  them for $22.  I also was able to scrounge up a set of 6" 65-70 Buick steel rims. A half inch wider rim and a wee bit wider tire gives me a wee bit lower with a wee bit more tread on the ground.  I hope this works better.  Mitch

BluRiv

FYI - The tires that Mike says are "original" on his '68 are not the original size; his '68 originally came with 8.45 X 15 bias ply tires.  What he's running are the P-metric equivalent (or close) to that original size.

Open this link to see what the ROA has pains takingly put together over the past 30+ years to see what the equivalent sizes are for different year Rivieras.  

https://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/dimensions.html