Sign in to follow this  
alsancle

Dupont

Time to start a thread to discuss DuPont.   When you think about this marque invariably you are talking about the Model G straight eight of 1928-1930 production.   Although almost all the components were sourced from other manufacturers, it is not fair to call this an assembled car as quite a bit of engineering and fine tuning went in to all the components.  All were coachbuilt with bodies from Waterhouse, Merrimack and a few others.  I urge everyone to get a copy of Stan Smith's book which lists every chassis # built for the Model G.

There were 3 model H cars built on left over Stearns Knight chassis's.  Of those, one survives (although another was still around in the late 40s).  The sport phaeton on the H chassis is one of the best looking Classic era cars ever built.

The closest I have came to one of these was a club sedan that Mark Hyman was selling as a restoration project.  He only had it a short time before it was sold.  I think this is the car post restoration.

29-DuPont-Model-G_Merrimac-DV-11-PBC-04.

This is the lone known surviving model H.

140414815.45aF9iCc.DSC_0639sc640.JPG

I was looking at the Waterhouse Model G on Wednesday in St Louis. Decent older restoration. I tried to buy a speedster right after I got out of college. Made  my best offer with money I still hadn't managed to accumulate, I was still 35k short back in 1991. I have managed to save up the rest of the money as of today. Now I'm short about 800k. Twenty six years later and they are still going up in value..........where's my T?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I promised Al if he started a thread I would add an original photo and Stan Smith's research on such -  I will have to do some homework about where is is in the library.

By the way, the H dual cowl (white and Black) - why have I never seen an original photo of this as a new car - not like it would ever go unnoticed in the 30's ?

Somewhere buried in my car stuff, I have info and literature of them building the last cars in Springfield Massachusetts. Does anyone else have anything on them in Springfield? Interesting to think that DuPont and Rolls Royce were in the same town making cars at the same time. 

The factory letters I have say Springfield. I think the printed literature does also, but it's been 25 years since I have looked at the stuff.

E. Paul Dupont had bought Indian motors around 1931 and they moved the entire engineering staff from Delaware to Springfield.  It would be interesting to see what you have.  Maybe my Stutz picture will be in the lot.

So who remembers the car that started it all for J.B. Nethercutt?  Found on a used car lot in the 1950s, it was J.B.'s first restoration and an early Pebble BOS.

53eb02c44d350ef80db4fa0e6e962442.jpg

• Like 1

In 2011, I  had the pleasure of closely inspecting that lone surviving model H in its owner's garage.  It is perhaps the most stunning car I have ever seen.  it really takes your breath away.

I had the luck to see and hear a Dupont running around the basement garage at the Peterson Auto Museum in Los Angeles a few years back. It looked and sounded great!

Speaking of the Nethercutt Dupont,  here it is when my wife and I visited the collection last year.  You need to all ahead for a reservation but the tour is free and fantastic.

image.thumb.jpeg.decf38f7a2d06861ea0bbc3ce75337be.jpeg

If the one that´s at The Nethercutt is not a Classic Car, I don´t know what is. Here are a couple more.

Image result for dupont indy car                               Image result for dupont indy car

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

And, I would still love to see a photo of this car as new.

I'll check Stan Smith's book, but I think the earliest picture I have ever seen is the 1950s.

OK.  I was wrong.   In deference to Stan, I don't want to scan his book but there is a picture of H-1002 (The sport Phaeton) on page 92 pictured at the NY Auto Show.   In the appendix is notes the double rear spare treatment and the fact it was at the Show.

Something I didn't realize was that the body was framed by Dupont and finished by J. Marshall of the Merrimac body company (which I think was defunct at that point).   I had always seen the car attributed to Merrimac.

The picture I was thinking of was taken in 1958 and is on a following page.

Anybody reading this thread should buy Stan's Smith's book!!!!!

Have you seen this photograph?

According to the note on the back, the older gentleman standing in front of the DuPont is Mr. DuPont himself. The photo was taken by Chapin Waldor at a very early car meet somewhere in the greater Boston area, probably around 1947. The Bugatti is pretty good too!

59c88d28744e5_BugtattiDuPont.thumb.jpg.e6816fd89f217a331a8dea9b1e44284f.jpg

• Like 1