Torn roof

My 1930 Chrysler sedan has a small tear in the vinyl (I assume) top.  It is about an inch in length.  (I know how it got there, and that is another subject.)  I have consulted two auto top firms, and they are only willing to replace the entire top, and that at a prohibitive cost, as far as I am concerned.  I have surveyed the internet, and found numerous suggestions for repairs to the top.  They range from roof tar to kits for repairing vinyl and leather.  My car is a driver; not a "trailer queen", and I am willing to use and display the car with a visible repair.  Actually, I know very few able to examine the roof at ground level.  

Once again, I turn to the experience of this wonderful resource for suggestions.  Have any of you shared my problem, and, if so, how did you deal with it?  I appreciate any suggestions.

Jcl

You will have to remove any coating on the roof. Any texture on the existing surface will inhibit glue working unless it has gap filling properties. If you can't press down on the patch the glue will not be as effective as if you had a good reaction surface underneath.

In my experience you will have best success if you find out what the existing roof material is and look for a product that will work on that material as well as your patch. Also, use a bigger rather than a smaller patch. Just like painting, success will depend on the preparation.

Do your research. Good luck.

One idea comes to mind. Find out what the antique aircraft guys use for patches on their fabric covered 'planes. Then treat the entire top with a coat of Surflex , which makes a very attractive top dressing. Someone had posted recently on the forum about using some rubberized compound for top dressing. I suppose a quick easy temporary(?) oval patch could be cut out of Gorilla tape after cleaning the top area with industrial grade ethyl or methyl alcohol , which is also the best solvent for flushing hydraulic brake systems. Again , it is easy to apply  Surflex to the entire top , which would then look very good. I use Surflex on my mid '20s Cadillacs. Please show us the results. If I live long enough , I will have to take a lesson from you.  Thanks in advance  ,   -  Carl

another idea...Sometimes the patch can be slid UNDER the tear, then glue added after, with a tiny brush.. Then maybe duct tape the whole thing tightly flat, but with a small piece of wax paper right over the "glued joint" until the glue sets up solid. 

Any larger auto supply store has a kit you can buy, comes with colors and an epoxy mix.  You put a small backing piece under the tear, mix the material, apply to tear, and using a textured pad and a small supplied heating iron, you cure the material.

I'm always dubious of these kits, but with a little time, you can make a decent repair.  In one case, I repaired a Lincoln armrest, and it was virtually impossible to see the repair.  You should be able to do a serviceable repair on an insert top, particularly if the rip is that small....