Need information on a 1959 Dodge Custom Royal

Hello. I was just wanting to ask how rare these cars were in 1959 i stumbled across a 4 door model day in someones yard and it looked as complete as can be. I doubt it runs, and im not sure what engine it has in it, but it looked like a nice old car. 

I asked the gentleman how much hed want for the car, and he said asking price is $1,200. Is it worth it?

They were a good car in their day and quite popular. Although not as popular as Ford or Chev.If it looks good that is half the battle, they used to rust out very fast. So if you find one that is rust free you are lucky. It might well be worth $1200 then again it might not. What kind of shape is it in, does it run, does it need much work?

Whatever you buy the car for, and I wouldn't give more than a few hundred for it, by the time you got it out of the woods and then tried to get it roadworthy  I believe you'd be "under water" as far as the value of the car if you wanted to sell it and how much you have invested in it.

If your intention is to buy it and fix/drive it you'd better have deep pockets. Not knowing the condition of the engine, too, would be a major concern. An engine rebuild could run into the $1000.00's. Then there's brakes (power, too), tires, gas tank, rust repair, interior, etc, etc, etc......

I would be especially concerned with the condition of the floors/trunk area as the car appears to have sunken into the dirt and the floors are resting on the dirt - not good.

I don't want to discourage you about the car but if you can find something that is at least running and roadworthy for a few grand or so then you are way ahead of the game. Sometimes it is less painful laying out the money up front for a nicer car, even though it doesn't feel that way, then to buy a "project" which will devour $$$$ faster than you can earn it .

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Whatever you buy the car for, and I wouldn't give more than a few hundred for it, by the time you got it out of the woods and then tried to get it roadworthy  I believe you'd be "under water" as far as the value of the car if you wanted to sell it and how much you have invested in it.

If your intention is to buy it and fix/drive it you'd better have deep pockets. Not knowing the condition of the engine, too, would be a major concern. An engine rebuild could run into the $1000.00's. Then there's brakes (power, too), tires, gas tank, rust repair, interior, etc, etc, etc......

I would be especially concerned with the condition of the floors/trunk area as the car appears to have sunken into the dirt and the floors are resting on the dirt - not good.

I don't want to discourage you about the car but if you can find something that is at least running and roadworthy for a few grand or so then you are way ahead of the game. Sometimes it is less painful laying out the money up front for a nicer car, even though it doesn't feel that way, then to buy a "project" which will devour $$$$ faster than you can earn it .

Just my opinion.

I hear ya. Im trying to get more information on it before i settle on anything. I know how they can go! I have a 1957 Buick thats more of a harder find too. I know what i am in for as far as engine rebuilds and floor pans. Those arent a big headsche for me. The main thing is the shape of the body (fenders, hood, quarters, etc.) And the frame. And yes, it has been sitting a looong time. Which scares me.

8 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Its a unibody. Get under there and look.....

I actually did not know that for 1959! Thanks for that information. Yeah, im just Trying to get all the information i can on this car as i can. I know about the GMs but not this as well. So sorry if i come off as a "newbie."

I don't remember exactly how a 59 is underneath, but what I would expect to find is a front stub frame, bolted on basically under the front floorboard. It probably goes back just far enough to support the back end of the torsion bars.

Edited by Bloo
oops (see edit history)

Oh, and I wasn't trying to give you crap for not knowing theres no frame, not at all.  :) I just meant you better get under there and look close because if theres serious rust, it could be structural. The members that give the unibody its strength are thinner steel than a typical frame.

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

Oh, and I wasn't trying to give you crap for not knowing theres no frame, not at all.  :) I just meant you better get under there and look close because if theres serious rust, it could be structural. The members that give the unibody its strength are thinner steel than a typical frame.

Oh its all good! I just feel dumb that i know almost nothing about these old dodge cars. Ive never messed with a unibody on a classic like that before. I know they are thinner than just a standard frame, so i wonder how the thing would hold up after sitting for a while. Do they tend to rust out moreso? 

I'm not sure. If it were out here in WA, I doubt it would have serious structural rust. Here, I would expect holes in the rear quarters and probably the floors.

In the Midwest, I have heard stories of late 50's mopars rusting shockingly fast. A good close inspection is needed.

That is a rough condition parts car. Worth a few hundred at most, if you happen to need parts off it. Otherwise scrap iron.

1959 was the last year for full frame Dodge, along with Plymouth DeSoto and Chrysler. 1960 was the first year for unibody construction, and it was applied to all Chrysler built cars except for Imperial which kept the separate chassis until 1966.

Recommend you buy the best condition lowest mile car you can find or can afford. There are plenty of good fifties and sixties cars for $10,000 and less, sometimes way less, especially 4 door sedans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

That is a rough condition parts car. Worth a few hundred at most, if you happen to need parts off it. Otherwise scrap iron.

1959 was the last year for full frame Dodge, along with Plymouth DeSoto and Chrysler. 1960 was the first year for unibody construction, and it was applied to all Chrysler built cars except for Imperial which kept the separate chassis until 1966.

Recommend you buy the best condition lowest mile car you can find or can afford. There are plenty of good fifties and sixties cars for $10,000 and less, sometimes way less, especially 4 door sedans.

I hear what youre saying. Im not jumpin right on it, trying to do my research. So this car is a full frame car, not a unibody?

There is not much difference between a unibody and full frame car. In fact the unibody may well be stronger, I know the Chrysler built cars are. Both will rust out badly if given the chance. If you can find one from a dry climate, or one that has been babied and stored inside, is the way to avoid the rust bug. Any car that has been lying on the wet ground as long as that one has, is probably rotted out.

You might want to check this thread out. It's a unibody Chrysler, but....https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1960-chrysler-new-yorker-rustoration.1061117/page-4#post-12087999

If you could get some photos of the underneath areas that you can cram a camera into, that would help determine how bad it really is. Maybe get that trunk open and have a look. I would grab it if it only has a few holes in it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yeah, ill definitely check it out. This car is a 59 though, and i think its a full frame car

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

You might want to check this thread out. It's a unibody Chrysler, but....https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1960-chrysler-new-yorker-rustoration.1061117/page-4#post-12087999

If you could get some photos of the underneath areas that you can cram a camera into, that would help determine how bad it really is. Maybe get that trunk open and have a look. I would grab it if it only has a few holes in it.