Duesenberg Spelling

hddennis

There is probably a simple explanation for this but I'll ask anyway. While researching another Duesenberg photo online I ran across this photo and noticed the spelling on the drivers suit. It depicts Joe Boyer in France in 1921. What is up with his suits spelling?

Howard Dennis

1921-duesenberg-grand-prix-historic-1.jpg

I think the name was imposed on the photo by the photographer, who made the mistake.   It is a wonderful photo.   So seldom can we see the people we have often read about so close and so clearly.    What a pity this could not have been showed to Jerry Gebby, who raced his own T-head Mercer, and tried to persuade Eddie Pullen to make a set of Rudge Whitworth wire wheels available to him.  Jerry was also a most accomplished shutterbug, and his workis perpetuated in his many contributions on early racing in Antique Automobile and Auburn Cord Duesenberg Newsletter.  Fred Roe was custodian of his photo collection until his passing, and It is probably in the ACD Museum, I guess.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:13 PM, keiser31 said:

I don't think the name was superimposed by the photographer. Looks to me like it was on the suit.

Agreed.  The letters clearly follow the waves and wrinkles of his jacket.

There were misspellings as much in 1921 as there are today;

but I agree with Keiser in posting #2, that part of the letter is

likely being hid by the angle of the photo and the flap of the cloth.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ivan Saxton said:

I think the name was imposed on the photo by the photographer, who made the mistake.   It is a wonderful photo.   So seldom can we see the people we have often read about so close and so clearly.    What a pity this could not have been showed to Jerry Gebby, who raced his own T-head Mercer, and tried to persuade Eddie Pullen to make a set of Rudge Whitworth wire wheels available to him.  Jerry was also a most accomplished shutterbug, and his work is perpetuated in his many contributions on early racing in Antique Automobile and Auburn Cord Duesenberg Newsletter.  Fred Roe was custodian of his photo collection until his passing, and It is probably in the ACD Museum, I guess.

Gebby also had a Duesenberg, 2596, J572, a 1935 supercharged convertible coupe by Bohman and Schwartz that he competed with, hill climbs I seem to recall.  His skills included the ability to convert its rod bearings from babbit to inserts.