Sign in to follow this  
GaryBudd

29' DeSoto clutch problem

GaryBudd    1

I noticed no resistance on the clutch pedal while working on some wiring under dash.Through the inspection hole for transmission I can see the lever from the pedal,it moves freely  but doesn't touch clutch assembly.Looks to be frozen to fly wheel.This car has not been driven in over 40 years.Any ideas on how to free the clutch disk up?

richasco    13

I would bet that the throw out bearing is stuck. The throw out bearing rides on the transmission front bearing retainer. This bearing retainer is made of diecast "pot" metal. The metallurgy wasn't quite right at that time and most castings swell and then crack apart. The end of the bearing retainer has probably swelled and the last time the clutch pedal was used, the bearing was forced into the swollen part and got stuck. If you get under the car and remove the clutch access panel from the lower front of the trans you should be able to see the bearing still up against the pressure plate. You may be able to free the bearing by careful use of a pry bar. Just be cautious because the bearing could snap back due to spring pressure from the pressure plate. Most likely you will need a replacement front bearing retainer. There are later ones that are steel. If you search for my posts, you will find a few threads about this very problem. Good luck.

GaryBudd    1

richasco,

Thank you for the info.I did check today and you are correct,the throwout is frozen.I started trying to move it a bit at a time.

richasco    13

Nuts, thats too bad. Try a small, careful application of penetrating oil, that may help free it up. You might as well start looking for a replacement front bearing retainer. The transmission is a Warner T-1C, the C is for Chrysler. Warner T-1 series transmissions were used by other car manufacturers. There are variations in the front bearing retainers, but the main differences are the length and material. I was able to find a replacement that just needed to be trimmed to the same length. It bolted right on and the throwout bearing slid perfectly.

While looking for a replacement I found a complete copy of the Warner T-1 made by the Acme Gear Company. I elected to use and original Warner bearing retainer, however the Acme part is an exact copy. Good luck on your search.

Also, if you need to remove the transmission, I found it easiest to work from the top. Just remove the seat and floor boards and you will have lots of access. A small floor jack makes quick work of lowering the transmission(it's not very heavy).

• Like 1