Red Riviera Bob

63 Riviera original wheel cover rust repair

On 6/14/2017 at 6:30 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Red Riviera Bob,

Great idea to try to repair what you already have. With some parts you may never find another one.

Friend of mine restored a 38 and 39 Pontiac, 27 Dodge and a 61 Tempest. He would always try to repair what he could while others would "sit and wait till the perfect part comes along". He got his cars done while others were still waiting among their bits.

And when he found a much better replacement at a swapmeet, usually at a bargain price, he would clean that up and it would go on the car. And then sell the one he had repaired, usually covering the cost of both.

" Do one thing every day" was his motto, and it certainly works.

just my two bobs worth.😀😀😀

Rodney, I appreciate your observation of how your friend made things work until something else came along to make it better. I'm a child of the 1933 United Stated Depression Era Grandparents and parents. I could go on for two weeks giving incredible examples of making "do" with what you have available. Please know I'm not cheap or take short cuts to save pennies when it is not necessary. I want things built to last, be strong, and reliable. If my hubcap patch job falls off that is ok because I have a spare ready to put on the car, so far the patch job is holding just fine. Having to have things perfect is a curse. You always want to do your best.

Thanks again, Cheers!

Bob,

One of the guys on this forum nailed it in a post once when he said " don't let PERFECT get in the way of GOOD"

As much as we often strive for perfection, sometimes we have to be satisfied with less.

And like you, hate to see waste which is why I try to repair what I can and replace what I have to😀

On 6/16/2017 at 0:51 PM, steelman said:

You mean these?

42576.jpg

Steelman, those wheel covers are the top shelf! Have any idea where 4 of these could be purchased? Cool factor is very high in my book.

Red Riviera Bob

On 6/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, Pat Curran said:

Or if you really want to jazz up the appearance, find a set of the cast aluminum bolt on wheel covers that were offered for the 63 and 64.  If you have the correct wheels on your car, they should already be pre-drilled to accomodate these covers.

Pat, I bought some wheel covers on the internet that I liked. I'm not certain they bolt on, but they are Buick 63 or 64 OEM product. If I can figure out to send a pic of them I will so you can verify. BTW, it's crazy the JB weld is holding my wheel cover on just fine. I hate to throw stuff away and I was raised to reutilize materials. ( my grandfather had me straightening nails I pulled from recycled barn planks ).

RRB

Pat Curran    57

The one pictured is correct for a 63.  The 64's were painted black between the turbine vanes and had the "R" medallion in the spinner.  Love these covers!

RivNut    1,014
On 7/18/2017 at 5:39 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Steelman, those wheel covers are the top shelf! Have any idea where 4 of these could be purchased? Cool factor is very high in my book.

Red Riviera Bob

Lots of maintenance required for these.  The cast aluminum is easy to break, and if does bend instead of breaking, it will break when you try to bend it back. You also need to find a tire store that will let you "coach" the tire jockey on removal.  Most stores won't let customers back in the shop.  IF you have a 63, you'll also want to coach the tire jockey on removing left hand threads.

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Lots of maintenance required for these.  The cast aluminum is easy to break, and if does bend instead of breaking, it will break when you try to bend it back. You also need to find a tire store that will let you "coach" the tire jockey on removal.  Most stores won't let customers back in the shop.  IF you have a 63, you'll also want to coach the tire jockey on removing left hand threads.

Ed, I'm  sure my wheels have the 4 holes necessary to bolt the covers on. You are saying I need left handed bolts for two of the wheel covers OR 2 of the wheels have left handed lugs?

RRB

RivNut    1,014

The lug nuts on the left side of a 63 Riviera have left hand threads, front and rear.  If you look, you'll see a large  L  stamped into the end of those wheel studs.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, RivNut said:

The lug nuts on the left side of a 63 Riviera have left hand threads, front and rear.  If you look, you'll see a large  L  stamped into the end of those wheel studs.

Thank you for the heads up on this item. I have a younger brother after a beer or two wrings off all kind of lugs, bolts, etc.

On 6/14/2017 at 0:12 PM, Scott Mckenzie said:

Keep us posted as to how this fix works out .In many instances,desperation is the key to innovation .

Scott, you know as craftsman there are many ways to fix something. Well, I could go on for two weeks some of the " fixes" I've seen backwoodsmen come up with. The saw mill I saw made from a school bus body, Ford Falcon engine, and lawn mower transmission would be a start of a good story. The yield from the saw mill fixed the roof on the home I lived in as infant.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

lrlforfun    49

OK Red Riv Bob: I was thinking, could spot welds work to refasten and/or reinforce the tooth ring to the stainless cap itself?  I know nothing about welding.  Mitch

Mitch, Initially, I took the rusted out wheelcover to the welder/fabricator I use for my power equipment repair.

The welder said when he puts heat on the wheelcover the shiny metal (the side we see ) would discolor. It could very have been he did not want the job b/c for him to braze would cost more than the item is worth, There are numerous gases used and heat temp you can use to join metal, but cost of labor can be a deciding factor. Brazing and soldering is a lower heat with softer metal. Heliarc ( electrode stick welding is cheap and fast), MIG, and then TIG are the welding methods the journeyman use.

The wheelcover I patched actually was still clinging to the wheel very well. When I went to clean the wheelcover I noticed how bad it was. I ordered a replacement wheelcover from eBay at $100.00. I had some time on my hands and was hopeful I might salvage the cover with a half baked solution. I've had luck with POR 15 saving rusted stuff on my power equipment. I thought I'd try the liquid metal.

im new to the collector car world and parts repair.i was not aware the wheelcover parts are reproduced. Today I'm driving to Philadelphia to see Gene who says he has some cast aluminum  bolt on wheelcovers. My wheels have the 4 holes already drilled so I can bolt on the cast aluminum wheel covers. The condition of the wheels have to right and the price he wants has to be some what reasonable. He wants $600. For 4 wheelcovers.

Fortunately, I have learned to walk away if the price far outweighs the utility or satisfaction level needed to make the purchase.

i looked at some of the items you reproduce and they are first Class work. 

Red Riviera Bob

RivNut    1,014

The studs in the covers are two different lengths.  One length is for 5.5" wheels, one length is for 6" wheels. Make sure you know the length of the studs on the covers you're looking at, AND the width of your wheels.  If you try to cross match them, you'll  be in trouble.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

The studs in the covers are two different lengths.  One length is for 5.5" wheels, one length is for 6" wheels. Make sure you know the length of the studs on the covers you're looking at, AND the width of your wheels.  If you try to cross match them, you'll  be in trouble.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed, thanks for the heads up. Before Imleft Philadelphia today I called Gene and he clarified my needs, etc. IM IN GOOD SHAPE. I thought the wheel covers looked pretty good to me. The spinners were in super shape. Gene has a LOT of stuff.

rhanks again

RRB

On 6/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, Pat Curran said:

Or if you really want to jazz up the appearance, find a set of the cast aluminum bolt on wheel covers that were offered for the 63 and 64.  If you have the correct wheels on your car, they should already be pre-drilled to accomodate these covers.

Pat, went to Philly last weekend and bought a complete set of cas aluminum from Gene. They need to be cleaned up, but overall were in acceptable condition.

The sandblasting cleaned them up real good. A wire cup is the only thing that will bring them up for 220 sandpaper work. They will look good. Thank you for the idea.

RRB

RivNut    1,014

220 will leave scratches. Start by cleaning them well with an SOS pad.  Then go over the areas that you to to have some luster with 400 wet/dry paper then work your way to 800 then finish with some 1200.  After that, you'll want to go over everything with a good finishing glaze. You've got some real work ahead of you to get that welded in piece to blend in.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:51 PM, steelman said:

You mean these?

42576.jpg

Steelman, thank you for the picture of how it is suppose to be. I bought 4 cast aluminum with spinners  like yours. I've got my work cut out for me because the wheels have to be cleaned and polished. I'm glad I came back to your pic because I need A frame of reference regarding what section of the wheel gets buffed out and the other stays natural aluminum.

i sandblasted mine, but I've been told it should have been glass beaded. Nonetheless, they are getting cleaned and will look just fine.

rhank you

Red Riviera Bob

RivNut    1,014

Okay, Red, you're almost there.  One more thing you need and you'll be set.

fbdb002b3009b18123ff331c2043d980---pallets-wooden-pallets.jpg.a19c179bce130abf86e7d547ae606efb.jpg

• Like 1