63 Riviera original wheel cover rust repair

Turbinator

Gents, I removed the wheelcover on my 63 Riviera only to find the wheelcover badly rusted. I was surprised the wheelcover was still on the wheel.

I went ahead and found another wheelcover replacement and made the purchase. In the meantime I thought I would take the rusted wheelcover to a metal fabricator to fix the wheel cover. The fabricator said he could not because the heat would discolor the chrome on the wheelcover.

I ended up cleaning all the rusted metal off and wirebrushed the circumference of the wheelcover clean. I used JB weld that I applied in thin coats several times to fill the holes. Also,  I used JB weld to secure the remaining loose metal to the body of the wheelcover. JB weld works because the paste can be applied between two pieces of metal and the paste dries to join the metal together. 

Hopefully this can help save some original Riviera wheelcovers.

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Edited by Red Riviera Bob
Get more pics to show (see edit history)

OK Bob:  That wheel cover is toast. They are mated with a big press and  to restore this wheel cover is a big a fool's errand as  one could imagine.  Parts for one with a good base.  I know because I have  dismantled and put together several hundred...if not more.  If you want to put it on a dead car just to tidy it up try JB Weld.   Mitch

Those wheel covers are quite common. Over the past 40 years I have seen most guys toss them and put styled steel wheels on ALMOST EVERY Riviera. Check out what the seller of the black on black GS wrote that he did 15 years ago.

"Oh, I see you have the obligatory chrome wheels on your Riviera. Wanna sell the spoke wheel covers?"

I have a bunch. PM me your address and I will send you a stripped disk to put your parts on.

Bernie

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Those wheel covers are quite common. Over the past 40 years I have seen most guys toss them and put styled steel wheels on ALMOST EVERY Riviera. Check out what the seller of the black on black GS wrote that he did 15 years ago.

"Oh, I see you have the obligatory chrome wheels on your Riviera. Wanna sell the spoke wheel covers?"

I have a bunch. PM me your address and I will send you a stripped disk to put your parts on.

Bernie

Bernie, thank you for your great offer. I'm happy to pay shipping and what you need for the part. I appreciate you seeing the patch job for what it is. I'm new to the car collector / classic car world. It never occurred to me you could rebuild a "hubcap"?. I came up in the country with depression era parents and grandparents. ( we would save good used lumber take the nails and straighten them.)

Maybe some fellows have a tight budget and could use a tip like I offered. Too much is thrown away. I own 60 plus year old Gravely two wheel tractors to do chores around the property, like grind stumps, bush hog, cultivate, snow blow, etc. A new Gravely two wheel walk behind is $6740.00 with no attachments.

ill figure out how to PM you and give you information to get me the stripped disk.

Many Thanks,

Red Riviera Bob

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I came up in the country with depression era parents and grandparents. ( we would save good used lumber take the nails and straighten them.)

Cast off those shackles of depression era. Most of them died with a bundle in the bank wearing homemade underwear.

And the wood butchers are still the worst. I rebuilt the columns and T&G floor of the front porch of my 1853 house. I bought 5- 10 foot 2X10's to support the roof during the project. I think I paid 8 bucks apiece for them. What the carpenter did to avoid making a cut in those boards was on the verge of obsessive compulsive. I kept telling him it was worth $40 to keep the roof from falling, deaf ears. They were in the way for a few years and I finally threw them away, if he knew!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the gated community type. It just looks that way because I won't go out in the cold to plow the driveway with the Allis Chalmers B. That big drift is as good as any gate.

Bernie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Cast off those shackles of depression era. Most of them died with a bundle in the bank wearing homemade underwear.

And the wood butchers are still the worst. I rebuilt the columns and T&G floor of the front porch of my 1853 house. I bought 5- 10 foot 2X10's to support the roof during the project. I think I paid 8 bucks apiece for them. What the carpenter did to avoid making a cut in those boards was on the verge of obsessive compulsive. I kept telling him it was worth $40 to keep the roof from falling, deaf ears. They were in the way for a few years and I finally threw them away, if he knew!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the gated community type. It just looks that way because I won't go out in the cold to plow the driveway with the Allis Chalmers B. That big drift is as good as any gate.

Bernie

Bernie, You would probably believe it if I told you what Dad left behind when he passed. He died in the same small cinder block house he built when I was 3-4 yrs old. He had four rental units he owned and rented for over 50 years. Trust me, I spend like I want, but not like modern day Americans. It is amazing how people save up money and walk around in bib overalls and drive 20 year old works trucks. My father in law had a heck of a time getting someone to talk to him when he went to buy a boat ( some call it a yacht ) because of his very modest ways and appearance. I'm spending money on this 63 Riviera to have it as a real nice Sunday & holiday driver. My wife is taking smelling salts! I told my wife there are no luggage carriers on the hearse! ( can't; take it with you). Thank you.

• Like 1

Those wheel covers were doomed right from the design and manufacturing stage - combining unprotected steel parts with stainless in the wheel covers did not ensure any long term reliability ! Might last a little longer in the southern , or mid west areas, but in the snow belt where they use road salt to melt winter ice, it was only a matter of time and exposure to achieve the results you have shown via your pictures. As 60FlatTop stated - " That wheel cover is toast" !

The easiest fix is to replace the rusted out ones with better condition, good used covers, or switch to chrome road wheels which are not period correct.

They were not designed to last forever, just like us, and most of the consumer products we use today ! 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Or if you really want to jazz up the appearance, find a set of the cast aluminum bolt on wheel covers that were offered for the 63 and 64.  If you have the correct wheels on your car, they should already be pre-drilled to accomodate these covers.

It will be there Thursday. I am pretty sure that set came from a guy who swapped out for styled steel wheels in the 1970's. I have picked up a bunch of them over the years. They look nice on the car.

I have never picked up or had the desire to put the chrome factory wheels on my car. And all the other guys were tossing their wheelcovers so I made out well. The chrome wheels became as ubiquitous as hidden headlights on Hondas.

After you fix up the wire wheelcovers and get out in public, you won't believe how many people will come up and ask "Why don't you put some of those Buick rallye wheels on it?" I have heard it for decades.

I did try this violation once.

wheels0006.JPG.73593d7877a2e885b3ce83dcccf0fc61.JPG

But those were wheel covers, lots, lots easier to find four straight ones. I have a few of those around, too.

Bernie

7 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Those wheel covers were doomed right from the design and manufacturing stage - combining unprotected steel parts with stainless in the wheel covers did not ensure any long term reliability ! Might last a little longer in the southern , or mid west areas, but in the snow belt where they use road salt to melt winter ice, it was only a matter of time and exposure to achieve the results you have shown via your pictures. As 60FlatTop stated - " That wheel cover is toast" !

The easiest fix is to replace the rusted out ones with better condition, good used covers, or switch to chrome road wheels which are not period correct.

They were not designed to last forever, just like us, and most of the consumer products we use today ! 

Sir, you really have it all correct. A good used cover is the way to go and throw away the junk. I put it up knowing I'd get some good feedback for putting a "patch job" on an automobile restoration website. I was thinking there might be, just might be a fellow who doesn't have an extra $100 or so right now for a hubcap. Maybe the patch job could help someone. You are right going "half baked" is not my style, but when I have a chance to save something of value for not much effort it is hard for me to throw an item away. And you are right about consumer products today not made to hold up for a period of time. I'm probably one of the last to remember Sears had a lifetime guarantee on shovels. When I wore a Sears shovel out or broke the handle I'd take it to Sears and they would give me another shovel. I use Gravely walk behind garden tractors that are 60 years old and still run and work! Thank you for your comments.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It will be there Thursday. I am pretty sure that set came from a guy who swapped out for styled steel wheels in the 1970's. I have picked up a bunch of them over the years. They look nice on the car.

I have never picked up or had the desire to put the chrome factory wheels on my car. And all the other guys were tossing their wheelcovers so I made out well. The chrome wheels became as ubiquitous as hidden headlights on Hondas.

After you fix up the wire wheelcovers and get out in public, you won't believe how many people will come up and ask "Why don't you put some of those Buick rallye wheels on it?" I have heard it for decades.

I did try this violation once.

wheels0006.JPG.73593d7877a2e885b3ce83dcccf0fc61.JPG

But those were wheel covers, lots, lots easier to find four straight ones. I have a few of those around, too.

Bernie

Bernie, a mans chariot is his to decorate and ride like he wants. Personally, I'm keeping my one and only 63 Riviera as stock as possible. Now I might put on simple steel chrome wheels like what is on the car now, except chrome. Then find a 3 prong spinner to put on as the center cap ornament. Sort of like an extra pair of shoes for my car. Im not a person who wants to compete in car shows. I'll go to car shows, but I don't want anyone picking over or criticizing what I do or don't do. Then when I get tired of the chrome wheels all I do is knock of the spinner and put the original wheel covers back on. I appreciate you sending the package. Now, I. might have to ask some help on how the thing goes back together. Don't laugh, I'm just not mechanical- but I do get 'er done.

I don't a

Have any pictures of the car but if anyone does they might post them.  The car to which I'm referring is John Andreasen's 1963.  It has painted steel slotted rally wheels* on it with caps and beauty rings.  Sounds simple but it's quite eye catching.

Ed

*Think 80's era Chevy truck rally wheels.

On 6/3/2017 at 8:39 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Bob:  That wheel cover is toast. They are mated with a big press and  to restore this wheel cover is a big a fool's errand as  one could imagine.  Parts for one with a good base.  I know because I have  dismantled and put together several hundred...if not more.  If you want to put it on a dead car just to tidy it up try JB Weld.   Mitch

Mitch, I'm  going to include a pic or two of the dead car I put my patched wheel cover on. In many cases a person cannot make something work with what he has available.  I felt the liquid metal could be a solution in view I knew of no other way to do the job.

The patched wheel cover is on the car now and I'll see if it lasts for a measurable or significant amount of time. 

'I checked out some of the work you do in restoration and it is certainly first rate work. 

Red Riviera Bob

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

Red Riviera Bob,

Great idea to try to repair what you already have. With some parts you may never find another one.

Friend of mine restored a 38 and 39 Pontiac, 27 Dodge and a 61 Tempest. He would always try to repair what he could while others would "sit and wait till the perfect part comes along". He got his cars done while others were still waiting among their bits.

And when he found a much better replacement at a swapmeet, usually at a bargain price, he would clean that up and it would go on the car. And then sell the one he had repaired, usually covering the cost of both.

" Do one thing every day" was his motto, and it certainly works.

just my two bobs worth.???

• Like 2

On 6/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, Pat Curran said:

Or if you really want to jazz up the appearance, find a set of the cast aluminum bolt on wheel covers that were offered for the 63 and 64.  If you have the correct wheels on your car, they should already be pre-drilled to accomodate these covers.

Pat, do you have any direction of where I might find these cast aluminum bolt on wheel covers? You have piqued my interest in what they look like. I believe, although I can be wrong I have the original wheels on the car. When I bought the car I found it sound and solid. The car was original and no one had done a thing to the car. In the mean time I catch up deferred maintenance as well as preventive maintenance. The alternator output harness had to be rebuilt because it had shorted out against the condenser. Instead of wrapping tape around the short I had it rebuilt or replaced. Any case if you can tell where to find pics of the aluminum bolt on wheel covers I'd be grateful.

Red Riviera Bob

Bob,

The cast aluminum wheel cover pictured is correct for 1963.  This cover is natural aluminum between the turbine fins and the center cap has the silver trip shield on it.  If it were from a 64, it would have black paint between the fins and the Riviera R in the center cap,  If you find a set of 64s, you can remove the paint and find a set of 63 base wheel covers.  The center caps in the knock-offs and base wheel covers are interchangeable.  The studs on the back, for bolting the cover to your stock wheels, are different lengths for 5.5" wide wheels and 6" wide wheels. But some all-thread and some spacers can be used to make them work on either width wheel.

Ed

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 0:12 PM, Scott Mckenzie said:

Keep us posted as to how this fix works out .In many instances,desperation is the key to innovation .

Scott, the driving force was to see if the patch would hold and do the job. So far the patch job has held the thing together with no problems. Please know if the patch work were visible and took away from the car I'd jettison the idea of patching a hubcap in a second.

Saving money is like making tax free money. Another way to say it is cost avoidance is a good habit when balanced with supposed good cents.

Thank you for your positive input and comments. 

On 6/14/2017 at 6:30 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Red Riviera Bob,

Great idea to try to repair what you already have. With some parts you may never find another one.

Friend of mine restored a 38 and 39 Pontiac, 27 Dodge and a 61 Tempest. He would always try to repair what he could while others would "sit and wait till the perfect part comes along". He got his cars done while others were still waiting among their bits.

And when he found a much better replacement at a swapmeet, usually at a bargain price, he would clean that up and it would go on the car. And then sell the one he had repaired, usually covering the cost of both.

" Do one thing every day" was his motto, and it certainly works.

just my two bobs worth.???

Rodney, I appreciate your observation of how your friend made things work until something else came along to make it better. I'm a child of the 1933 United Stated Depression Era Grandparents and parents. I could go on for two weeks giving incredible examples of making "do" with what you have available. Please know I'm not cheap or take short cuts to save pennies when it is not necessary. I want things built to last, be strong, and reliable. If my hubcap patch job falls off that is ok because I have a spare ready to put on the car, so far the patch job is holding just fine. Having to have things perfect is a curse. You always want to do your best.

Thanks again, Cheers!

Bob,

One of the guys on this forum nailed it in a post once when he said " don't let PERFECT get in the way of GOOD"

As much as we often strive for perfection, sometimes we have to be satisfied with less.

And like you, hate to see waste which is why I try to repair what I can and replace what I have to?

• 5 weeks later...

Pat, I bought some wheel covers on the internet that I liked. I'm not certain they bolt on, but they are Buick 63 or 64 OEM product. If I can figure out to send a pic of them I will so you can verify. BTW, it's crazy the JB weld is holding my wheel cover on just fine. I hate to throw stuff away and I was raised to reutilize materials. ( my grandfather had me straightening nails I pulled from recycled barn planks ).

RRB

On 7/18/2017 at 5:39 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Steelman, those wheel covers are the top shelf! Have any idea where 4 of these could be purchased? Cool factor is very high in my book.

Red Riviera Bob

Lots of maintenance required for these.  The cast aluminum is easy to break, and if does bend instead of breaking, it will break when you try to bend it back. You also need to find a tire store that will let you "coach" the tire jockey on removal.  Most stores won't let customers back in the shop.  IF you have a 63, you'll also want to coach the tire jockey on removing left hand threads.

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Lots of maintenance required for these.  The cast aluminum is easy to break, and if does bend instead of breaking, it will break when you try to bend it back. You also need to find a tire store that will let you "coach" the tire jockey on removal.  Most stores won't let customers back in the shop.  IF you have a 63, you'll also want to coach the tire jockey on removing left hand threads.

Ed, I'm  sure my wheels have the 4 holes necessary to bolt the covers on. You are saying I need left handed bolts for two of the wheel covers OR 2 of the wheels have left handed lugs?

RRB

On 8/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, RivNut said:

The lug nuts on the left side of a 63 Riviera have left hand threads, front and rear.  If you look, you'll see a large  L  stamped into the end of those wheel studs.

Thank you for the heads up on this item. I have a younger brother after a beer or two wrings off all kind of lugs, bolts, etc.

On 6/14/2017 at 0:12 PM, Scott Mckenzie said:

Keep us posted as to how this fix works out .In many instances,desperation is the key to innovation .

Scott, you know as craftsman there are many ways to fix something. Well, I could go on for two weeks some of the " fixes" I've seen backwoodsmen come up with. The saw mill I saw made from a school bus body, Ford Falcon engine, and lawn mower transmission would be a start of a good story. The yield from the saw mill fixed the roof on the home I lived in as infant.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

Mitch, Initially, I took the rusted out wheelcover to the welder/fabricator I use for my power equipment repair.

The welder said when he puts heat on the wheelcover the shiny metal (the side we see ) would discolor. It could very have been he did not want the job b/c for him to braze would cost more than the item is worth, There are numerous gases used and heat temp you can use to join metal, but cost of labor can be a deciding factor. Brazing and soldering is a lower heat with softer metal. Heliarc ( electrode stick welding is cheap and fast), MIG, and then TIG are the welding methods the journeyman use.

The wheelcover I patched actually was still clinging to the wheel very well. When I went to clean the wheelcover I noticed how bad it was. I ordered a replacement wheelcover from eBay at $100.00. I had some time on my hands and was hopeful I might salvage the cover with a half baked solution. I've had luck with POR 15 saving rusted stuff on my power equipment. I thought I'd try the liquid metal.

im new to the collector car world and parts repair.i was not aware the wheelcover parts are reproduced. Today I'm driving to Philadelphia to see Gene who says he has some cast aluminum  bolt on wheelcovers. My wheels have the 4 holes already drilled so I can bolt on the cast aluminum wheel covers. The condition of the wheels have to right and the price he wants has to be some what reasonable. He wants $600. For 4 wheelcovers.

Fortunately, I have learned to walk away if the price far outweighs the utility or satisfaction level needed to make the purchase.

i looked at some of the items you reproduce and they are first Class work. 

Red Riviera Bob

The studs in the covers are two different lengths.  One length is for 5.5" wheels, one length is for 6" wheels. Make sure you know the length of the studs on the covers you're looking at, AND the width of your wheels.  If you try to cross match them, you'll  be in trouble.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

The studs in the covers are two different lengths.  One length is for 5.5" wheels, one length is for 6" wheels. Make sure you know the length of the studs on the covers you're looking at, AND the width of your wheels.  If you try to cross match them, you'll  be in trouble.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed, thanks for the heads up. Before Imleft Philadelphia today I called Gene and he clarified my needs, etc. IM IN GOOD SHAPE. I thought the wheel covers looked pretty good to me. The spinners were in super shape. Gene has a LOT of stuff.

rhanks again

RRB

Pat, went to Philly last weekend and bought a complete set of cas aluminum from Gene. They need to be cleaned up, but overall were in acceptable condition.

The sandblasting cleaned them up real good. A wire cup is the only thing that will bring them up for 220 sandpaper work. They will look good. Thank you for the idea.

RRB