First Generation Dash Pad

Loren@65GS.com

You're correct, their package tray leaves a lot to be desired.  This is the first time I've seen this product.  Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered.  

Have you checked to see what Just Dashes would charge to redo yours? At least you'd know it would fit.  63s are differentthan 64s and 65s.  Does this product differentiate between the two?

Ed

Ed wrote: "Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered."

I asked Just Dashes in Van Nuys CA for an estimate some time ago and they were in the neighborhood of $700, but that included the foam core. I'm sure there are locals around who can do it for quite a bit less. My temporary fix was the grained plastic dash overlay also offered by OPGI, but IIRC I found it for less by going straight to the source. Yes, this is a new item from OPGI that straddles the difference. I too would be interested in some initial reviews before parting with the required $$.

11 hours ago, JanZverina said:

Ed wrote: "Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered."

I asked Just Dashes in Van Nuys CA for an estimate some time ago and they were in the neighborhood of $700, but that included the foam core. I'm sure there are locals around who can do it for quite a bit less. My temporary fix was the grained plastic dash overlay also offered by OPGI, but IIRC I found it for less by going straight to the source. Yes, this is a new item from OPGI that straddles the difference. I too would be interested in some initial reviews before parting with the required $$.

Having some years of upholstery experience, to recover an existing old pad correctly would require a great deal of labor and time. It can be done, but I'm thinking it is going to be a two or three day process .The condition of the one we have in Roxy's Riviera is rough , to say the least, with deep cracks.  

The original vinyl will need to be removed completely. Then assess the foam condition.  Keep in mind, if the base foam isn't smooth, the finished product won't look much better, kind of like chrome plating or paint.  Every imperfection in the base will show in the finished product. Most likely the foam will need to be buffed down to remove splits.  Then build back up, carefully shaping with layers of IG3 foam,  A final layer of thin foam before installing the vinyl.  The vinyl used for the dash pads is different then what most everyone is use to seeing.  It is more ridged, doesn't have a fabric backing and is applied after softening the whole piece with heat.  So an upholstery final would be the most likely candidate for a one off project. It can be made to look very good, but still won't really come out looking identical to an original.

So to do something like this correctly, a shop is going to have some serious time and materials cost.

Loren@65GS.com

Edited by hupplifer (see edit history)

I went with the Dashtop option on my 63. It looks and performs great. Nothing against JustDashes...they just rebuilt an entire dashpad for a 77 Pontiac Can Am I am restoring and their work is phenomenal. Its expensive but worth it in most cases. For my 63 though, the Dashtop option is really solid. When I first got it, I thought I'd install it for now and later have the thing done by JustDashes at triple the cost. Now, I drive down the road, glance at my Dashtop, marvel at how good it looks and contemplate how I'll send the money I saved. PRL

• Like 1

Guest redriv63

took my dashtop out of my 63 and brought it to local shop in my area and they recovered it with new foam for 150.00.excellent job.just dashes was 895.00 plus shipping this was about 6 years ago and still looks perfect.

21 hours ago, petelempert said:

I went with the Dashtop option on my 63. It looks and performs great. Nothing against JustDashes...they just rebuilt an entire dashpad for a 77 Pontiac Can Am I am restoring and their work is phenomenal. Its expensive but worth it in most cases. For my 63 though, the Dashtop option is really solid. When I first got it, I thought I'd install it for now and later have the thing done by JustDashes at triple the cost. Now, I drive down the road, glance at my Dashtop, marvel at how good it looks and contemplate how I'll send the money I saved. PRL

Pete, since are going to SEND the money rather than SPEND it, you can go ahead and send it to me!

My dash pad was in good shape, but it did not match the newly installed upholstery. The upholsterer stained the package tray to match as well as the dash pad to match the new leather option for a 63 Riv. At first I was reluctant to use a stain thinking the stain would fade. I keep the car garaged 24/7 unlessI drive the car about 700 miles a year. Here is a picture of the dash stained.

DB84EEA9-1D8F-4616-B92C-B7ADAD3D4D7F.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/2/2017 at 10:36 PM, redriv63 said:

took my dashtop out of my 63 and brought it to local shop in my area and they recovered it with new foam for 150.00.excellent job.just dashes was 895.00 plus shipping this was about 6 years ago and still looks perfect.

I love it when folks get a good deal by using their head and thinking things out.

Great!

Red Riviera Bob

I bought my package tray from Clark's Corvair. It was pricey, but really nice. I also like the fact that there are no screw holes pre-drilled in it.  Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the 3 big silver screws across a black package tray.

You will have to drill out the holes for your rear speaker cover between the seats. Hint: do this before you install it. Um...yeah, lesson learned.

Good luck!

-Adrian-

• 11 months later...

I'm going to try a Dashtop after reading reviews etc.  I figure if i don't like it i can always go with the more expensive dash pad later.  My question is should I order a color or paint my self?  My interior is saddle.  The dash is a dark greenish brown almost old army green.   If i ordered a color anyone have an idea which color?  I see some greens and a saddle listed but those little tiles are not very helpful.  Any one have experience with these colors?

Dash.jpg

On 5/14/2018 at 7:18 AM, flh73 said:

I'm going to try a Dashtop after reading reviews etc.  I figure if i don't like it i can always go with the more expensive dash pad later.  My question is should I order a color or paint my self?  My interior is saddle.  The dash is a dark greenish brown almost old army green.   If i ordered a color anyone have an idea which color?  I see some greens and a saddle listed but those little tiles are not very helpful.  Any one have experience with these colors?

Dash.jpg

Gary, is there something wrong with your dash pad other than that little crack by the speaker hole? If that's all that's wrong you can have

that crack repaired where you wouldn't see it and keep your old pad, or buy a vinyl repair kit from Eastwood and do it yourself.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

I came across this on the OPGI web site.  Anyone have experience with this item?  I understand the rear package tray seems to leave something to be desired.

Loren@65GS.com

https://www.opgi.com/riviera/BR04108/

I ordered one of the dash pads from OPGI on February 14, 2018.  Haven't received it yet and now been told possible delivery of mid July.  They didn't wait to get payment though.

Loren 

I was mistaken.  The guy I referred to above covered his dash with a cap.  About $150.  I think they're made by txdashcovers. The cap is an ABS molded skin that fits over your dash.  It's molded with the correct grain.   

I worked for a company that installed the Coverlay brand of dash caps, and they worked and looked good.  Perhaps not what you want if you're going for a concourse restoration, but perfect for a driver.

I used the one from opgi, was pricey and took 9 months to get it!!!!! It was a good product, not the best, but good. There were a few blemishes on it and had to drill all the holes for screws, brackets, etc. 

I ordered my "Dashtop" from CARiD at $154 free shipping.  Decided to paint myself to try and match it best.   Probably use SEM paint from paint supply house. It said will ship in 3-5 days we'll see.

14 minutes ago, flh73 said:

I ordered my "Dashtop" from CARiD at $154 free shipping.  Decided to paint myself to try and match it best.   Probably use SEM paint from paint supply house. It said will ship in 3-5 days we'll see.

Be sure to keep us updated.  

On 5/17/2018 at 7:23 AM, PWB said:

I just got a quote from Just Dashes on a ‘73 Monte.

about 1g for basic service. Another 150 for cracked speaker area and about 200 for paint match. (Black is standard)

On 5/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, flh73 said:

On 5/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

I ordered one of the dash pads from OPGI on February 14, 2018.  Haven't received it yet and now been told possible delivery of mid July.  They didn't wait to get payment though.

Loren 

Loren, is it possible to have your dash covered by an upholsterer in your area? One of the shops in my area said he would cover my dash with matching color in leather 

ted Riviera bob

On 5/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, RivNut said:

I found a picture of Kaber's 63 Riviera with the ABS dash cap installed. His has been dyed to match the rest of the interior.

2013-10-27105708_zps61c49e5c.jpg.2c21e5048b2836f93acf6c389fdbcd20.jpg

Ed, how about having a dash recover with matching vinyl or leather?

Red Riviera Bob

I did that once on my 63 says number of years ago.  There's nothing wrong with it.  Leather wouldn't be correct and would be really expensive.  The problem with vinyl is that you have to use something that's fairly thin so it fits but being thin means it's not going to be very durable.  If it's glued down, it will "crack" as the original dash beneath it cracks. It will also show the original work underneath it.   If you're going for a driver, I'd go with the cap; if youre going for something you want to resell for $50K, then you'd better go with Just Dashes.

It shipped and arrived in less than two weeks.  I like the look and grain is really close.  Once painted should do really good.  Now onto fit. Tried test fitting, side to side looks good but I’ve been unable to get it to clear the windshield. It seem simply too tight. I may have to remove dash to complete the install. I don’t really mind if this is my only option.  I thought I read some simply slipped on without taking it out. 

Anyhow onto pictures. F013BE49-1238-4836-A520-0DD6E1951295.jpeg.687057f2dddd9c41b0837543d47da0d9.jpegFEB3BE5C-54A9-4EF8-B250-82DA792A48EE.jpeg.0ec4d5f1eb09d7c1994d127e27af5f53.jpeg72DCFFCE-2540-4F7F-A342-360CAD69FDD0.jpeg.a5089943eef5586448f392bd2a0ecae2.jpeg

C7132CE6-B92F-42E1-87E8-49CEBD79B8EC.jpeg

If youre referring to installing a cap, all you should need to do is remove the four screws under the face of the dash then slide it toward you.  That should give you room to fit it, then push it forward and screw it back in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Dashtop is installed and painted.  A problem came up when in the sun.  It wants to pucker through the middle when heated.  This is not a good look.  I follow the direction to NOT glue the center and only glue the edge.  when cool it sits flat with no issues and a good look.  I guess I'll call Palco help line Monday to see whats up. 

I think you are going to find that it will be necessary to glue it down in the area where it wants to

pucker with 3M weatherstrip cement. One thing good about the dash cap is that it has the pinpoint grain which is correct.

The dash pads OPGI is selling have incorrect madrid grain like the seat upholstery. One thing that amuses me about the OPGI

catalog is that they sprinkle pictures of the interiors of correctly restored cars with very immaculate correct interiors that don't

have any of the crappy interior parts they sell installed in them. In the steering wheel section they show a picture of a 65

model interior with an immaculate correct factory wood steering wheel to go on the page where they are hawking their aftermarket

Chevrolet style wood steering wheels, and they show a gorgeous original dash pad next to the incorrect grain repros they are hawking. Hilarious!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:51 PM, flh73 said:

It shipped and arrived in less than two weeks.  I like the look and grain is really close.  Once painted should do really good.  Now onto fit. Tried test fitting, side to side looks good but I’ve been unable to get it to clear the windshield. It seem simply too tight. I may have to remove dash to complete the install. I don’t really mind if this is my only option.  I thought I read some simply slipped on without taking it out. 

Anyhow onto pictures. F013BE49-1238-4836-A520-0DD6E1951295.jpeg.687057f2dddd9c41b0837543d47da0d9.jpegFEB3BE5C-54A9-4EF8-B250-82DA792A48EE.jpeg.0ec4d5f1eb09d7c1994d127e27af5f53.jpeg72DCFFCE-2540-4F7F-A342-360CAD69FDD0.jpeg.a5089943eef5586448f392bd2a0ecae2.jpeg

C7132CE6-B92F-42E1-87E8-49CEBD79B8EC.jpeg

Is the last close up photo of the vent the final look?  

No, the dash was pulled (quite easy four screws as Ed explained).  Cleaned dash. lightly sanded and cleaned again.  The cover fit properly off the car with some minor adjustments.  The issue is fitting the cover while the dash is still installed.  With the slope and how tight the windshield fits to the dash this is not possible.  once the cover is fitted off the car and glued it slid back into place and fit properly.  Pictures coming of final install. 

3 hours ago, flh73 said:

No, the dash was pulled (quite easy four screws as Ed explained).  Cleaned dash. lightly sanded and cleaned again.  The cover fit properly off the car with some minor adjustments.  The issue is fitting the cover while the dash is still installed.  With the slope and how tight the windshield fits to the dash this is not possible.  once the cover is fitted off the car and glued it slid back into place and fit properly.  Pictures coming of final install. 

Gary,

I have a question about one of the cars you have listed in your signature.   Buick did not produce a Riviera in 1994.   ????

Ed,

I know accuracy is important. When I originally made my profile I thought it was a 94 but you corrected me so it must have been a 95. Can’t remeber all cars especially the ones I don’t work on that much. So I’ve tried to go and change this error in my profile, unfortunately I’ve been unsuccessful. 

Adding finished dashtop pictures.  Came out nice. At first I thought it’s was to glossy but once installed I like it. 01771BDE-CD13-40E6-9CD8-32E7D5581B61.thumb.jpeg.8f9f759ee1a3b884ac70e2317cf2a49b.jpeg

3A6292B1-24B9-4285-8276-6F9C584A5B86.jpeg

• Like 2