1928 dictator engine and other help

I am after an engine to suit a 1928 dictator. It has the 6 cylinder GE. The car is restored but the engine I have is beyond repair. I did buy a 1930 dictator engine from this sight a couple of years ago but it doesn't fit. I would also like some information on how the Shock absorbers are mounted on the rear and what do people use as the strap between the shock and the axle. I am also after small interior stuff like curtain mounts, interior light  switch, cigar lighter. Any help would be appreciated

Sorry it took me so long. I wanted to clean this up a bit so I could take pictures. It doubles back at the spring shackle end and there is some sort of wedge that secures it. It is a very heavy woven strap of what I believe is cotton. 

20170606_211511.jpg

20170606_211518.jpg

20170606_211524.jpg

• 2 months later...

I found these pictures of a 28 Dictator GE engine at Volocars.com and added ones from mine. The appears nearly identical to my 29/30 Dictator GL. the water pump, distributor, generator and drive to them are the same. The spark plug wire routing is different as is the carburator mounting. This one appears angled and mine the air horn points straight back. When I look at the specs, though they are rated at nearly identical horsepower, the 28 says it used a 242ci displacement while the GL shows only 221ci. This is accounted for by a 3/8" shorter stoke in the GL. Unless the transmission mounts differently I would imagine this might open up more possible engines you could use. 

1928 Studebaker Dictator

No automatic alt text available.

185007_5783_p56_l.jpg

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by keninman
clairification (see edit history)

The engine number I have is GE 11172. I have noticed the front  engine mounts are different between the 2 engines. I do have an engine from what I was told was a 1930 dictator with engine number s13775. It has quite a few similarities but definitely wont fit in my car. 

There were ongoing changes with these. We had four engines of a similar era - all GEs - but when my son had them apart he found many internal differences. They should all have a casting date on the blocks. Somewhere along the way there was a change to the drive line spline size. When he changed the gearbox he also had to change the driveshaft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 8:21 AM, rbk said:

I will look.

Please have patience

Robert Kapteyn

Is the last engine in your post #12 the engine you want to replace?

right above the distributor is the casting number on the block.

It appears to start wth 167???.

Can you confirm?

The GE engines in 1928 were the first ones of the Light six / Standard six /Dictator engines to use a mechanical fuel pump.

Damien:

You say that the 1930 engine with serial number S13775 doesn't fit your car.  But, what is it about that engine that causes the problem?  Does the transmission not fit the bell housing?  Are the motor mounts in the wrong place?  This should be a problem that can be solved easier than shipping another engine to Australia.

7 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Damien:

You say that the 1930 engine with serial number S13775 doesn't fit your car.  But, what is it about that engine that causes the problem?  Does the transmission not fit the bell housing?  Are the motor mounts in the wrong place?  This should be a problem that can be solved easier than shipping another engine to Australia.

There are quite a few differences. Both the problems you list and others. I was really keen to fit this block because it is such a good one but there are to many differences and I am also a stickler for keeping things as original as I can.

59c80590a4e39_Lightsixengine.thumb.png.76c2c9daa6c8f687501de059855525f8.png

59c80590a4e39_Lightsixengine.thumb.png.76c2c9daa6c8f687501de059855525f8.png

Let us know if you located an engine.

If you give me the casting number (not the engine number) cast in the block right

above the distributor  , I can look for a block.

The number yo gave G 12.22 is a casting date,

I am looking for a part number cast in the block.

Usually a 6 digit number such as 167889 or other.

I have some unidentified loose blocks.

Robert Kapteyn

casting number.png

The casting date you gave is for 1922 as far as I can tell.

Are you sure ?

Do you have pictures of your engine?

Light six engine.png

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Hi Hadhec

Where are you located, send me an email.

I will keep my eyes open for an engine.

I recently found two EU engines for a friend, just by word of mouth.

Sometimes you have keep repeating the ad in Rotating Spokes until the right person sees it.

John Grant

Email, jgr13216@bigpond.net.au

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

5a470de05f5f3_ScreenShot2017-12-29at9_50_52PM.png.25b93238687a6496739d2c18a7521e9d.png

I found an engine block with this casting number.

Does this match yours?

It does have a crack on the opening but I thinks this could be salvaged.

I also have two used cranks , oil pan, brakes transmission gears and shifter.

I am having health problems , so please have patience.

I talked to our machine shop to have the block cleaned and checked.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

815 212 2389 text or voice.

5a471068448d3_ScreenShot2017-12-29at9_51_53PM.png.9e3b21fb17ad965793d89b37c5bdbd53.png 

• 4 weeks later...