'25 Studebaker Special Six Help!

Guest 25StudeSpecial6

Guest 25StudeSpecial6

Hello Studebaker enthusiasts! I recently acquired a Special Six with a body and interior in relatively good shape, good enough that it's a real debate whether or not to leave it as is to show how the workers make the car 92 years ago ( a nice survivor ). The engine ( however )... Yikes! The story is that the engine was pulled in 1952 for a rebuild.  It was partially disassembled, and then took a dirt nap for 60 years.  Most of the parts and pieces are there, but ultimately it would be nice if I could find rather than fabricate some components.  Generator, distributor bevel gear and vertical assembly, clutch fork, and a few other parts.  Any engines out there? Big Six or Special Six? I'm slowly learning, but I take it the Big and Special engines are virtually the same except bore.  Also the '25/'26 years would probably work with the clutch housing integral to the transmission versus the earlier separated design. When I first saw it, embarissingly, I thought it was a Packard radiator and hood until on second glance all the little details were wrong--- and suddenly I realized it was a unique Stude.  I love the look of the Special Six more than the radiator and hood of the Big Six.  Does anyone know the story behind the tombstone radiator design and straight lines on the hood unlike the Big Six or Standard Six?  Any and all help is appreciated! Many thanks! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

congrats your car is awesome i actually tried to buy that good score, is the engine complete are all the parts there? i think i recently read while researching my 27 they called the radiator design "gothic"

Guest 25StudeSpecial6

It's missing the generator, the distributor assembly is real rough ( some bevel gear teeth are cracked or missing ), the clutch fork and throw out bearing assembly is missing ( this would be the most challenging to fabricate from scratch without seeing one in person ). There are some other little pieces that are missing too.  I would have rather found a car with an engine that's seized but all parts there.  This one is like a mouse nest flavored steel puzzle for ages 16+.  In the next couple weeks I will mount the engine block in a stand and do a mock up assembly to see how complete it truly is.  

I stock brass distributor bevel gears at $80.00 postpaid.

These are to replace the pot metal original gears 

I also have a vertical generator for a big six.

I will try to get the numbers on this one.

I am old and slow , so please have patience.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

Put "studebaker in the subject line otherwise it will go to "trash"