88 tale of frustration.

KDirk

Since I have been absent from the happenings here for a couple of weeks, thought I'd post about what has been eating my free time (and any extra money in my wallet). My early build 88 was popping recurring O2 sensor codes, and analysis revealed a bad ECM. Swapped that out and while test driving it to check for successful repair found it was running way too hot, where on the previous drive it had been fine.

Got home and checked, found main (behind radiator) fan not operating. Tried spinning by hand, felt "wrong", like it was binding.  Came to discover the engine torque strut was distorted badly at the engine side and whole engine was leaning forward toward the radiator about 1" more than it should be, placing pressure on the shroud around the fan binding it up. It had burned out the fan motor and the ballast resistor as well as melted the low speed fan relay. Just swell.

So, got out a spare fan and began checking reason for the engine tilt. First I thought it was just the torque strut, but quickly realized the motor mounts  were failing. Went to O'Reilly to get mounts, had to special order from regional warehouse (now I'm getting really irritated). Finally get mounts a couple of days later and only one of the three is correct. Go back and get told they don't have anything else to offer. Knowing 88's had different engine mounts I start researching online. Find the left rear (tranny mount) is part A2691 in MRC brand, order a couple as they are cheap enough and know I'll be doing this again.

Every thing I find shows Anchor/powertorque brand (and other suppliers as well) front mount is number 2943. Except it isn't on 88's; or at least the early build 88 I'm working on. That part is for 89-91 and not only sits taller but has the upper mounting studs in the wrong positions for an 88. After going to three parts stores, determine there is no suitable aftermarket front mount.  Start turning over rocks and find a NOS GM front mount  for a whopping  $200 (versus under $50 for the Anchor 2943). It is on its way now but the car is now on jackstands for 8 days and counting.  Meanwhile, I did the two rears. I gotta say, this is one of the worst repairs I've done yet on a Reatta.  I had to invent new cuss words and even look at my old German dictionary to come up with ways to express my displeasure at this arrangement.  Quite simply, it sucks. Thats the rated G version.

Since I had to partially detach the cradle to get adequate clearance to remove and install the rear transmission mounts,  I did cradle bushings as well. Then I did front ABS  leads (both were reading open, more on that in another post,  suffice it to say here that in salvaged both leads so didn't have to use any of my spares).

During this time, I  completed several other repairs.

replaced both power window motors,  changed oil and coolant, degreased the engine top and bottom, changed oil pressure sensor and replaced some rigid vacuum tubing. This has been a lot of late nights and my shoulders are killing me. I'll have more to say when I actually get it drivable again. 

KD

• Like 3

Well now we know where you have been. I was wondering what was going on and here it was one of your Reattas wanting to take you out behind the barn for a "whipping". Glad you got it figured out and that you had most of the parts on hand. That is quite the story about motor mounts and something to remember for anyone else with an early Reatta that may develop a mount failure. This is a reminder that parts availability are really drying up and that no matter how hard one tries, you can't have everything you need.  

• Like 1

Kevin,

I believe I came across the same motor mount problem that you're experiencing, if you're talking the front mount.  It turns out that the front mounts for both my '91 Reatta and my '92 Riviera installed from the factory were #2836...a front mount for the same era Cadillac.  Bought one each from RockAuto for around $20 each and they fit perfectly.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I'm still researching the mount issue. In pictures online (not that I trust these by any means) it appears the Anchor/powertorque and DEA brand front mount #2943 only fits 89-91 due to being a bit taller and the upper mounting studs being arranged in a horizonatally straight line across from each other. The 88 uses a mount that is very slightly shorter and has the upper studs arranged at an approximately 45° angle, with the left being down lower and the right being up higher on the top face of the mount. Now, the Westar brand with the same number (EM-2943, also EM-2943S for a solid rubber non-hydraulic version) appears from the stock photo to be the 88 design rather than identical to the Anchor/PTQ/DEA 2943 which is based upon the 89-91 design near as I can tell.

No one locally stocks the Westar part but I'm going to call them this week and see if I can get confirmation that theirs has the 88 stud arrangement. If so, I'll order one to keep on hand for my other 88. Actually, I need to look at my other later build 88 to see if it uses the same mount as the early one. That may be another running change, and if so makes things more interesting still.  Anyway, if the Westar part fits the application I'm dealing with now then at leaat 88 owners have an alternative to trying to find a GM original part.

I did run across some old discussion on an Oldsmobile forum regarding the front engine mount for 91/92 Toronado and Trofeo, and 2943 by Anchor didn't for that either.  

There was one post in that thread indicated a front mount as used on a 1992 Seville with the 4.9l V8 could be modded to work as a substitute,  but they provided neither a part number not details on what modifications needed to be done. No pictures either (had to be registered and signed in to see attachments) so not much help to my present situation.

What I don't know is if there was a mid-production change on 88's regarding motor mounts. If there was, then the discrepancy in the supplier parts databases makes some kind of sense. If not, and all 88's use the same mount setup as my early build, then the database is just wrong (as with the intermediate parking brake cable having the wrong number referenced). The latter would not surprise me. 

• Like 1

You sparked my curiosity and I looked at my GM parts book (dated 93)  I also checked the mounting bracket and they also changed, the solution may be to get a newer (more readily available) mount and find the associated bracket.

However the other unknowns ....did the cradle change and did the mounting holes on the block change,  for your entertainment here is what the book show for the front mount (toward the radiator) I am also showing Riviera as they were in the same parts book.

YEAR      MOUNT #       BKT #     

1986 = 17986962.......1635946

1987 = 17998659.......1646476

1988 = 17998659.......1646476

1989 = 17998659.......1646476

1990 = 17998659.......1646476  NOTE CONVERTIBLE  MOUNT = 17997213 BKT = ?

1991 = 17998659.......17997294  NOTE CONVERTIBLE  MOUNT = 17998660 BKT =? 

1992 = 22112653.......22112606

1993 = 22113021.......22112606

Note that the convertible mount is listed as a different part number but appear to use the same bracket.

There is nothing in the parts book indicating there was a part number during the 1988 build.

If anyone has the front mount and bracket off any year, post some good pictures....I will try and make a sketch/drawing and we will add dimensions...this may tell us what changed or were the changes just cost reductions.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Barney, I looked at the 92 edition parts manual and noted the same. I didn't pursure those numbers as I assumed I'd be purchasing aftermarket parts as the GM parts are all discontinued. As it happens, I ended up buying a NOS front mount anyway.

Now, the one I took out came in two versions by color code  (as GM often does with suspension components). This one is purple (has a splotch of purple paint on one end). The other version was white. There are the words  purple and white  each followed by a part number stamped in the rubber on one side. These are barely legible at this point, but will get them both and post them later when I have it in front of me again.

I did not remove the bracket, as it appears the A/C compressor has to come out to dismantle the bracket from the block and I'm not touching an intact working A/C system if I can help it. Point being I will not be able to get a good picture or measurements on it in car. Will see if I can at least get a picture that shows the mounting holes to the front mount. I'm going to pursue the Westar brand mount  further and see if it will fit. By the only available picture, it looks like it will but I'm not trusting that, and want to see it live in person.

I have an 89 front cradle I intend to have media blasted and repainted, sans brackets,  and would consider swapping it over if I was pulling the engine as it seems the mounts are easier to find for the 89-91, save for the driveline vibration absorber. There is a Stabilus/Mercedes part still available as a sub for that however. I probably will have to pull this engine eventually as while it has only 70,000 miles on it,  the freeze plugs are looking a bit crusty and will need replacement in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

Ok, a quick update on motor mounts. I purchased a GM OEM front mount that fits (not cheap) and in the meantime ordered another aftermarket front mount #2943, this one by Uni-select under the Auto Xtra brand. This one fits as intended, leaving me to wonder if the Anchor part I received previously was mis-packaged. Anchor' s website has a 3D photo that shows the mount  I needed as 2943, and is identical to the Uni-select provided one I got today. So, who knows what the screw up was and maybe inwas premature in my concern that 88 owners will have a problem finding the correct front mount.

I will say the aftermarket front mount, while visually and dimensionally identical to the OEM part,  is not as substantial as it clearly doesn't  weigh as much. It is hydraulic, not solid, as I can hear "slosh" when shaking it. I will probably  install this one and save the GM part for the next go around. I plan on getting some pictures and posting a separate thread on motor mounts for an 88, as there seems to be some confusion still on which parts are correct for the 1988 models.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm currently pulling my transmission on my '88 to fix a problem inside. Anyway I thought I would jump in here with my experience. I bought the lower mounts (all three of them) because I'm under the car pulling out all kinds of stuff anyway. I bought them from Rock Auto. My front (engine) mount is DEA/MRC # A2943. My left transmission mount is DEA # A2671. It looks like there is another configuration with a cage that bolts there on the left side. That configuration uses left mount #2779 instead.  My right Transmission mount is DEA # A2691. I have also written to the people at Rock Auto and asked them to add the right transmission mount (A2691) to the listing under '88 Reatta.

I cannot say for certain regarding the front (engine) mount. I have not yet started trying to assemble it together but I held it in close proximity to the one in the car and it "looks" right.

When I ran the GM part number for the right transmission mount at GM parts direct (1646517) they show it as also used on Reatta 89 - 90, Cadillac Allante 89 -92 , El Dorado 89 - 90, Seville 89 - 90 and  on Oldsmobile Toronado  89 - 90.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 1