'Oh' ring predicament.

slosteve

'65 Riv power steering pump. I removed the high pressure fitting on it to make sure it was clear and there is an 'o' ring that fits in a groove right behind it. The book says to replace it and as mine is a bit stiff that is what I'm trying to do. Can't find one of the correct size. Went to my 'best'  parts store in town and they have a larger & smaller one. Can anyone tell me the correct size for this thing?

Steve

Steve,

Do you have a hydraulic repair shop in town? Typically they will have a full selection of most sizes. If you have a Fastenal store check with them also. I'm sure its nothing special. 

If none of the above tell me the OD as close as you can measure and the approximate thickness of the ring you took out. 

Is this the oring you are talking about?

PS pump3.JPG

Edited by JZRIV
Add pic (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A picture is worth a thousand words, Jason. The o ring in the photos below is what I've been looking for in vain. I found it in the groove just inside the hole (where the screwdriver tip is). This is a rebuilt pump. Now I know that I need a different one. Thanks.

Steve

IMG_9248.thumb.JPG.162bc0f476f532d8dda4259e118cd671.JPGIMG_9249.thumb.JPG.b3a876b8bb1f9f57ebae9c27b3849c6d.JPG

I have had good luck getting "O" rings at a bearing company they also handle hydraulics.  The place I deal with is quite helpful and the price is reasonable...you can't buy 1 the smaller ones come in a bag of 10 but then I have spares when I drop one.

Steve,

That ring is only meant to be removed when the pump is removed from the reservoir. I believe that seal is actually a quad ring (square oring). 

Since you have the pump out on the bench you should disassemble and install a seal kit. When you buy the kit you'll get that seal you are looking for. 

I did a tech article on rebuilding a pump in Riview vol 26 No 5.

PS Pump10a.jpg

PS Pump18.JPG

• Like 1

More pictures, more knowledge. My pressure fitting did not have any o ring on it like the large circumference one on yours. So my first thought was that they substituted the skinny one in place of it. Now I know that I need two different animals. Thank you again, Jason