1963 Riviera at Schmitt- thoughts???

kreed

Looks like a clean example overall but a few liberties were taken that could be corrected if you wanted a 100% correct car.  This company usually shoots for the moon with prices but if there was room for negotiation then it would be worth checking out.

I think this is the first time I ever saw Schmitt cars photographed inside, at least in my memory. I guess I like the natural light better. Their cars have always looked great.

As to the Buick, anyone who buys that car today and has it 35 or 40 years from now is going to be real happy. 

Pick the wrong question:

1. Do I have room for it?

2. Do I have the cash?

3. Can I get it for less?

4. Are they open Monday?

Bernie                                                                                        

To answer Bernie's questions :

1. No, never enough

2.If the price was right

3. A must

4. Yes. And today so going to look- doesn't cost anything 

Pat  -can you give some specifics other than those mentioned above . Need some "negotiating " points if it looks decent otherwise . Also going to look at the blue 63 that Fast Lane Cars has in St Charles at $22,500 just so I will have a comparison on quality points 

Thanks 

Ken

2 hours ago, kreed said:

3. A must

"I can come down $7,000 if you really need it for less. I have a good set of black, used seats I will put in for the difference." And I can knock off another hundred if I swap the battery out for an Interstate."

When a price reduction is a "must" I always think of the guy who couldn't go to Big Tony's summer picnic because he paid asking price for an item that year.

Over 20 years ago I tried out a $4800 car I really liked on a Saturday, brought it back, and tried to chisel them down six hundred bucks. I spent Saturday night, all day Sunday, and all day Monday agitated and in angst about not sealing the deal. When I stopped Monday, on the way home from work, it was sold. That hasn't happened since and won't.

When I sell a car I always ask $200 more than I will take. I haven't figured out if the "must" reduce price is cultural, ethnically motivated, or genetic. Observations lead to all three, BUT if you go beyond my $200 courtesy I expect something in return. I have actually handed back payment to some who paid asking price and just said "Thanks, you are a good guy to deal with."

Reminds me, once a guy had me repair his non-running canal boat. I charged him the first hour up front and added $75 because he was standing next to me while I worked. I fixed it in about 20 minutes (after getting there), and handed back the 75 bucks. I said "You're OK, not as annoying to have watching me as I expected."

I do know a lot about taking and getting money. A lot of engineering companies think Net 30 means payment in 100 days. I don't drive over their bridges.

People's quirks with money are always entertaining

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kreed said:

Good pickup Ed - missed that . Anything obvious in the engine compartment that does look right? Never have ridden in a Dynaflow tranny . How do you like yours? Thanks Ken

I did the "blue dot thing" to one of my early acquisitions (I bought a 63 for $200 with a 63 w/ 65 engine and trans poorly done.)  It turned out okay once I was able to come up with a '65 shirter to replace the Pontiac cable shifter.  Dyed the interior so it was all one color an put a Maaco paint job on it.  I was a nice 20 footer for someone to have fun in.

The Dynaflow will remind you of Ford's recent attempt of equipping some of there cars with a CVT - Constant Velocity Transmission.  If you've ever driven a Ford Five Hundred or a Mercury Montego from around '05 or '06, you'll know how it feels.  Here's how Ford describes it.  -

The Basics of the Ford CVT Transmission

The CFT 30 is designed so the engine will always operate at optimum efficiency. Power flows continuously throughout acceleration and there are no discrete gears.

Same with the dynaflow.  Put it in drive and go from 0 to 120 and never feel a gear change.  If you don't mind the poor gas mileage, it's probably the nicest transmission for your Saturday night "cruise in."  No matter how fast you're going, the engine is always at its most efficient point - no upshifts or downshifts.    It's very inefficient because of all of the fluid couplings, no real gears to speak of.  Well tuned and driven properly, you can eek some mileage out of them, though.

Ed

• Like 1

Hi Kreed.  In addition to the items that have already been mentioned above, the headlight housings should have a frost finish to them.  Just the outer rings should be chrome.  There is chrome under the frost so chances are it was buffed off.  Same with the cowl vents.  They should be body color and just the outer edge should be chrome.  Buick painted over the chrome and you see numerous ones out there that look like this.  Neither of these are a big deal if factory correctness is not important to you.  The trunk material is not correct.  It should be a tan weave.  The spare tire cover looks like it is MIA.  The door jamb switches probably need to be rebuilt.  If you look at the photos, some shots show the courtesy lights illuminated and in others they are not.  This is a very common problem and there is an ROA member that rebuilds them.  These switches were junk from the factory but the rebuild with better materials fixes the issues.  The seat covers look a little baggy in a few areas but all said and done, the car looks really good in the photos.  The wood veneer looks really good as well. 

The car looks straight and presents well in the photos.  The asking price is top dollar for sure.  The thing is if you bought one that needs some restoration you would be into it for close to what they are asking for this one by the time you are done.  It all depends on what level you want to be at.  It looks like a nice ride and I wouldn't mind having it in my garage.  Keep us posted!

15 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The thing is if you bought one that needs some restoration you would be into it for close to what they are asking for this one by the time you are done.

Just came home with a quart of white PPG lacquer and a gallon of thinner for $175.96 for a little touch up on the Electra. And we don't even know how good my paintwork will be!

That Riviera might be a better value than it appears.

Bernie

Yesterday  we went first to look at a blue 63 at Fast Lane in St Charles , MO . They have had it advertised about 3 months -originally price at $25K, now $22,500. Reasonably nice paint job (7/10) but many problems with gaps on doors and hood . Engine bay not professionally detailed at all- lots of "rattle can" restoration if you know what I mean.  No A/C  and and cheap after market gauges under dash . Underside had lots surface rust and front end suspension needed considerable work but I did not have them put it on a lift. Interior was acceptable . Chrome / bright work was 5/10. Did not look in trunk  or start it as I had seen enough. Apparently a "low mileage ", numbers matching car  and data plate confirmed correct color and interior but I wasn't interested at that point so cannot confirm options . This car needs about  $ 15 -20 K  and several hours labor IMO to get it to a point that  would satisfy most of you . 

We then went to look at the 63 at Schmitt's - night and day difference ! Actually better than I anticipated which doesn't usually happen . Apparently a two owner car ( unconfirmed so who knows or cares ) , 87 K miles . Numbers matching JT code 401 . Correct color AA and 788 interior -needs a few little things to be completely correct as mentioned in several posts above - all doable at relative low cost or not at all . Jim , I will get a picture of the data plate but it a fairly heavily optioned car -all power windows, vents and trunk release and probable a couple more . Everything electrical works including cruise control and the AC , even the clock!  Long story short and some haggling we made a deal- not what I call a steal by any means but it's ready to drive and enjoy today . Now just nee a garage to put it in! 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Congratulations!

Is the paint as good as it looks?

Did you get a free cold bottle of water and calendar after you purchased? (Like at new car dealerships today? :rolleyes:)

Nothing makes chrome stand out more than black paint. Fabulous car. Enjoy.

53 minutes ago, PWB said:

Congratulations!

Is the paint as good as it looks?

Did you get a free cold bottle of water and calendar after you purchased? (Like at new car dealerships today? :rolleyes:)

Nothing makes chrome stand out more than black paint. Fabulous car. Enjoy.

The paint is very nice and as you know black paint is very unforgiving if poorly done . . And yes we had all the free water we could handle . No calendars though ?

On 5/28/2017 at 7:04 PM, kreed said:

We then went to look at the 63 at Schmitt's...  Long story short and some haggling we made a deal... 

Kreed, can you give some indication of how far down

in price they went?  I've often thought it futile to deal with

dealers and don't bother, because of avaricious asking prices.

Maybe give a % discount, or respond by P. M. if you 

don't want to give $ on the forum.  (And this dealer often has

artificial "was" and "is" asking prices, so please be sure to

tell which price they came down from.)  This may help others.  Thanks!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hi John - this is the third car I have bought from John Sherman, manager,  at Schmitt in the last 5 years ( first Riviera ). I have missed two very nice Rivieras that they had because I hesitated and decided to  " think it over" for a day or two - they both sold within 24 hours . I found always found them to represent their cars very well. I actually bought one sight unseen (69 Vette-427) and when it arrived it was much better than expected and has been problem free since purchase. We love it!

That being said, they know the market well and hold pretty close to their asking price within 10-15 % but dependent too on how long they have had the car obviously . They will always ask " where do you want to be" so I naturally hit them low to see how proud they are of the car and we go from there.

i had been looking for a 63 Riviera for a couple years and this particular car was the right color and options so went to see it in person . I have previously learned valuable lessons that it's usually cheaper to buy someone else's restoration than do your own( at least in my hands)-assuming it was done correctly.

They obviously are in business to make a profit - how much they make is not my business. My decision consists of four things : is it a good car for the price?, can I afford it? , am I going to regret not buying it tomorrow ( or vice versa)?, can I have fun with it? 

i have bought several cars a over the last ten years . I have more regrets about the ones I didn't buy but also have a couple I wish I hadn't bought ? - works both ways . I do not buy my cars as investment but something to enjoy and maybe get "some "of my money back if I ever decide to sell. Good luck with your hunt .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind comments - a few minor things to tweek to get it where I want it but should be a fun car .

10 hours ago, JZRIV said:

The buying spree continues! Congratulations Ken! Looks like an excellent car. I can imagine how proud the original owner must have been the day that black beauty was driven off the lot. 

Jason - this is THE LAST one I am EVER buying - I am done !  And so is my retirement account ! ? This Riviera thing is definitely an addiction - much worse IMO than anything my Camaro and Mustang friends have contracted . There is NO cure other than running out of ????

Edited by kreed (see edit history)

4 hours ago, kreed said:

Jason - this is THE LAST one I am EVER buying - I am done !  And so is my retirement account ! ? This Riviera thing is definitely an addiction - much worse IMO than anything my Camaro and Mustang friends have contracted . There is NO cure other than running out of ????

HaHa I didn't know you were a comedian too Ken! :P I've watched many folks try to kick the smoking habit too. It ain't easy! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JZRIV said:

HaHa I didn't know you were a comedian too Ken! :P I've watched many folks try to kick the smoking habit too. It ain't easy! 

As far as I know, there's no 'Riviera patch'...  :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Was pleasantly surprised on Friday when John Sherman , general manager at Danile Schmitt Co. called  me and told me that the previous owner had forgot to give him the original window sticker when they bought gather car in June . He sent it to me and I  thought folks might be interested in seeing it . Wa glad to see it was a California car for part of its life - last owner was a Michigander  but so far have not found any rust .  The car was originally a vinyl /cloth seat but now has leather . It has so far not disappointed- few little details to correct - nothing major . 

KReed

ROA 14549image.thumb.jpeg.e15acd3d0048a3181f9b010b7ad96449.jpeg

• Like 1