'68 Riviera front side marker housings

NC1968Riviera

I am looking to hopefully purchase a '68 Riviera in the near future. In doing my research I have noticed several 1968 Riviera's with either the large front fender side markers or a small marker, like the' 69. Did the '68 Riviera come with two different size front fender side markers during that model year?

I have just found the answer to my own question above. The large side markers are "Cornering Lights". Cars without these "Cornering Lights" had the standard small side markers. I wonder how many of the 49,284 built that year had "Cornering Light" option?

The larger lamps are cornering lamps which were an option on the '68 and '69 models. With the headlights or parking lamps on, the brighter cornering lamps come on when the turn signal switch is activated, the housing also has a mandatory side marker lamp. The smaller rectangular lamps on '68 and '69 cars were mandatory side marker lamps only, and light up when the parking or headlamp switch is in the ON position.

Well, you could always add these cornering lamps, however that would require cutting into metal...

In 68, according to the Riviera Owners Association website, "14,019 purchasers, or 28.5% of production," had cornering lamps.

In 69??? "Cornering lights, option K2, were available and were chosen by 13,309 owners. This is only 25.1% of all Rivieras."

NCCprice, you may have already done so, however I highly suggest you join the Riviera Owners Association if you have such an interest:

http://rivowners.org/assoc.html

5 hours ago, NCCaprice said:

I may join ROA after I purchase a Riviera.

You probably would benefit from joining before you buy your car as there are a lot of valuable information in ROA that you can get access to for a small fee.

just my humble opinion...

• Like 1

Totally agree with Gabriel and Jan.

The ROA website is a wealth of information at your fingertips that you won't find anywhere else in one place.

You can see that from the responses you already have on just the cornering lights!

Knowing what you are looking for and what was available BEFORE you purchase will be repaid over and over again. Otherwise you end up jumping into the first one that "looks nice in that colour".

just my two bobs worth.

8 hours ago, NCCaprice said:

I took the advice to join ROA. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Sounds Great Mike!

We have a get together in Archdale, NC in September, you are welcome to join us with or with-out a Riviera! It would be great if you are successful with your purchase and are able to bring one, but not a requirement.

• Like 1