1936 Desoto

wangwilko

Hi, does someone have a layout plan for the brake lines for 1936 S1 Desoto. I am have part of old system but it was bent when removed from car many years ago and I am trying to replace with a new system and am not sure where it goes on the chassis or where it goes through the chassis and where t-joiners go. photos or a plan would be great. I also would like to know about the shackle that attaches to the rear leaf spring and chassis, does it only use the metal bushing screwed into the leaf spring eye or should there be a bushing. I was thinking it would wear metal on metal, but maybe the internal thread and shackle do the moving which can be lubricated. I would appreciate any help or assistance. Thanks Peter (Australia)

You may be able to gleen a bit from the lubrication picture in the shop manual? Mine have a picture from above of the chassis and you can see some of the brake lines.

I don't know what kind of bushes your DeSoto had, but it sounds like what my Studebaker has. A bush with an internal thread pushes into the spring eye. A bolt with the same thread goes through the hanger and threads through the bush. There is a grease nipple in the bolt head and a hole in the bolt midway along to let grease out into the thread. So it is a lubricated threaded bush.

A photo of your setup would be good.

Just looked in the Mackay Silentruba catalogue from 1955. It seems to say the 1934-48 6 & 8 cyl. De Soto had rear spring front shackles consisting of a steel outer sleeve, steel inner sleeve, with a rubber bush vulcanised between them.

The rear spring front was DeS part no. 306458 and it was Mackay part number S1. S1 was 1-9/32" OD, 5/8" bolt hole, 2-5/16" long inner sleeve, 2" long outer sleeve.

When these are installed, the bolt is tightened with the car on the ground. Then the hanger is crushed against the inner sleeve so that sleeve cannot rotate. The rotation of the spring eye is then taken in the rubber.

Clearly the other shackles do not involve rubber because Mackay do not mention them.

9 hours ago, wangwilko said:

. I also would like to know about the shackle that attaches to the rear leaf spring and chassis, does it only use the metal bushing screwed into the leaf spring eye or should there be a bushing. I was thinking it would wear metal on metal, but maybe the internal thread and shackle do the moving which can be lubricated. I would appreciate any help or assistance. Thanks Peter (Australia)

These bushes are metal to metal, and fit either end of the spring hanger. One piece threads into the eye of the spring another threads over it, the same goes for the hanger/chassis end, grease nipples are in the bush ends; when assembled the two bush pieces turn inside each other as the hangers pivot back and forth. They are common on all Mopar vehicles from the 30`s to 60`s, however there are various sizes depending on the specific vehicles.

Removing and installing these bushes is quite challenging, particularly getting the inner and outer pieces in the correct position on the hanger, and in the spring eye, if you have never done this job before you would be best advised to seek help. If you are downunder you might try Jim Robinson in Maryborough Vic. 03 54614619 for supplies

Dufor catalogue 1954 shows the S1 De Soto with U-shaped rear spring rear shackle like this:

TypeU-Shackle.jpg.082ad4894cb82bdf50268bdaf48b0031.jpg

Put the U into the spring eye and hanger then screw in the bushes. The DUFOR number is X54A.