Engine shuts off

Well, Code 14 indicates MAP sensor ELECTRICAL.

So I would suspect the MAP sensor, wouldn't you?  In your description of parts replaced, are you indicating you have already replaced the MAP sensor?

As for the fuel pump, it's also a valid candidate. I have had many fuel pumps fail between my 3 vehicles that all use the very same electric fuel pump.

But focus on the MAP sensor, the fuel pump does not set a code when it fails.

OR check the vac line from the fuel pressure regulator for gas vapor.  When the fpr fails it will cause the same codes.  I bought a 51,000 mile TC for $3,000 because the pos mechanic fixed the wrong thing.  The seller would not accept more money because he was fed up and had to move overseas and either pay storage for 4 years or sell it.

checked VAC lines, no gas smell, no gas in line..fuel pressure reg, is brandnew.checked MAP connections, Vac lines ok, wires&plug ok and snug. Btw..MAP sensor is also almost brandnew..thats why I was confused by error 14 for it!! fuel pump is on its way from rockauto...did not order AIS module yet...that and fuel injectors are the last resort..

checked VAC lines, no gas smell, no gas in line..fuel pressure reg, is brandnew.checked MAP connections, Vac lines ok, wires&plug ok and snug. Btw..MAP sensor is also almost brandnew..thats why I was confused by error 14 for it!! fuel pump is on its way from rockauto...did not order AIS module yet...that and fuel injectors are the last resort..

You said in your initial complaint Engine shuts off

Have you replaced the distributor Hall Plate? You could be chasing ghosts here.

It is ALWAYS nice to get as much information as possible from the customer (YOU) when trying to diagnose a problem.

When does the engine shut off? As you are driving down the road? WHEN?  

When the engine initially quits running, does the TACH drop to 0 when this happens? If so, that is a prime indication of the hall plate in the distributor has expired.

It may even start immediately again or after a short time to cool down.

Any of this ring a bell?

Hey Hemi! look at the video I added to my first post!..TC starts with no issues, even when engine died. hesitates when accelerating, drives ok when driving..as soon as I stop at a traffic light, RPM goes down to around 500...fluctuates...and 5 out of 10 times, it dies...fuel pump was supposed to arrive today but didnt...will give feedback of this mission asap.

20 hours ago, shelbyone said:

Hey Hemi! look at the video I added to my first post!..TC starts with no issues, even when engine died. hesitates when accelerating, drives ok when driving..as soon as I stop at a traffic light, RPM goes down to around 500...fluctuates...and 5 out of 10 times, it dies...fuel pump was supposed to arrive today but didnt...will give feedback of this mission asap.

OK, should have looked at the video, my bad.

took me 3.5 hours to get it all done...( of course, complications, brittle fuel lines had to be exchanged, tank dropping took forever...blabla...

old pump looks pretty corroded and was not the original pump......tank looks pretty good, debris wise...put everything back together...2 cranks...bam..for now, looks like that was the issue...idle is smooth!

will take it for a ride tomorrow.

IMG_6260.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

IMG_6272.JPG

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

Well, it has a Chrysler part number so if it wasn't the original, at least it was a MOPAR part.

I am not surprised at a pump failure, I have had more than my share between my 3.

well, whaddayaknow....took the tc for a spin and I have to say , surgery was successful! no more hesitating, no more rpm fluctuations. much more responsive! oh, and no more codes! guess the fuel pump ( which does not give any codes for failing) causes other components to show codes ( map showed code 14 for electrical issue...) 

I am glad its done....

Edited by shelbyone (see edit history)

update time....

so, for a week, everything was peachy....drove about 100 miles since installing the new pump...today, car died in idle...started up right away, smelled gas...kept driving home and stopped another 10 times at lights and intersections...idle was ok, not rough or fluctuating...

damn, and I thought its fixed...every day, something new :)

thoughts>?

injectors?

Hey hemi dude my 91 is having the same symptoms as you described earlier with letting it set for a while and it starts back up when it first stalled on me I was at a stop soon as I touch the gas it died instead of messing with it I called a cab and let the car sit for 30 hours when I came back it started right up ran great got it about halfway home and it died again which was about three miles I let it set 10 minutes and try to start it it hit a couple times and died on my second attempt of letting it set for 10 minutes it ran for even less time then the first one A friend of mine said he thinks it might be the screen on the fuel pump is clogged

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, Tks said:

Hey hemi dude my 91 is having the same symptoms as you described earlier with letting it set for a while and it starts back up when it first stalled on me I was at a stop soon as I touch the gas it died instead of messing with it I called a cab and let the car sit for 30 hours when I came back it started right up ran great got it about halfway home and it died again which was about three miles I let it set 10 minutes and try to start it it hit a couple times and died on my second attempt of letting it set for 10 minutes it ran for even less time then the first one A friend of mine said he thinks it might be the screen on the fuel pump is clogged

So how old is the pump on your 91, is your answer 26 years old? If so are you really wondering why your car is stalling out? 

• Like 1