1953 Olds 98 Convert FS

• 7 months later...

Can you give us a window into what kind of price you're expecting? Simply throwing a car out there and hoping for realistic offers isn't really a great way to sell a car--most guys will assume that you want a HUGE figure they can't afford or that you're simply fishing for a sucker and any offer they throw out won't be reasonably considered. Is $35 K too little? $100K too much? A rare car like this has a wide range into which its value might fit. Expecting potential buyers to guess what will make you happy isn't really fair.

Stick a number on it and I bet interest will perk up. It's pretty well documented around here that no price means no calls.

• Like 3

I agree with Matt.  Beautiful car, but without a basis for price, the assumption will always be that "it's too expensive so why bother".....and I'm a firm believer that someone who owns something that they want to sell always has a number in their head as to price.

I recently looked at a collectable object, owner said he had no idea what it was worth.  I did a little research, and came back with a fair but of course favorable (to me) offer.  The instant reply was "oh no, I've been following them on Ebay for a year and they sell for X"....

• Like 1

Fishing it is, then.

Its less than $100,000 but if you dont get it right you will be refused. That isnt very helpful. How many guesses do we get? Isnt it easier just to put a number on it and let people decide whether they want the car at that price? Games make everyone edgey.

Another example of why there should be strict guidelines for listing a car, and an option to lock the thread so that nasty comments can't be made.  Ads should always include price, location, contact info etc.

As far as this car goes, Hagerty guide shows about $90K for a high end restoration, which this appears to be, so sounds like seller is in the ball park, and any criticism other than not listing a specific price should be left out of the thread.  Just because my bank account is in the local sandlot and he's in Wrigley Field doesn't mean I should criticize pricing....

From Hagerty website, 1953 98 convertible:

Current Values

• #1 Concours$89,200
    Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
  • #2 Excellent$59,600
    #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."
  • #3 Good$40,200
    #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
  • #4 Fair$23,900
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2017 at 3:19 PM, Bleach said:

Without more details the most I'll offer is $5K.

I have added more photos since your post. I'm happy to answer any detail questions. Sorry but $5000.00 won't buy it. 

The car is in the Ft. Myers Florida area. (wish I was there today)   

5 hours ago, johnworden1 said:

I have added more photos since your post. I'm happy to answer any detail questions. Sorry but $5000.00 won't buy it. 

The car is in the Ft. Myers Florida area. (wish I was there today)   

Stunning car. I wish I had the money to offer what the car is worth.

• 6 months later...

WEB MASTER, ARE YOU LISTENING??????

Prices should be mandatory on all cars listed for sale. That saves the potential buyers  a lot of time and effort. If the price is out of their range they can pass. To try and get a hold of sellers with no phone number is a time consuming and often a waste of time. Solve that problem by making sales price mandatory, this should be a very simple rule change. As I've stated before no price I just pass on to the next, even if its a vehicle I would like to own.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• 2 months later...