64 Riv: Where is the starter+solenoid?

bodayguy

Sorry dumb question. I bought a new solenoid - since installing a Pertronix and new high-po coil, the ignition likes to stick a little more often than before and I'm thinking a new solenoid on the starter is due. I just have searched from the view above and the close view below and can't see where the starter motor and solenoid is?? I am guessing it's underneath on the driver side?

I have not put the front on jack stands yet, but anyone with some advice would be great. You guys are the best.

Mine was doing the same thing.  I got a solenoid from NAPA for $15 and bolted it on.  No problem after that.  I don't know if a '64 starter is like a '63 because of the different transmissions, but I'll tell you a '63 is the heaviest one I've ever pulled out of a car, so be ready when you pull it out of the bellhousing.

2 hours ago, Black River said:

Mine was doing the same thing.  I got a solenoid from NAPA for $15 and bolted it on.  No problem after that.  I don't know if a '64 starter is like a '63 because of the different transmissions, but I'll tell you a '63 is the heaviest one I've ever pulled out of a car, so be ready when you pull it out of the bellhousing.

The 63 starter is different only in the length of the nose.  The 63 nose has to be longer to reach the starter gear ring.  On the 63, the gear ring is part of the torque converter rather than part of the flex plate as found on most other cars. And, yes it is heavy.