1929 Ford coupe who to call for advise?.

Guest Oldlady

Guest Oldlady

I want to buy this 1929  model A coupe special. All parts, many new to put back together. Need estimate on just putting it back together to drive it as is. I am to old to restore it exactly right and not enough money. Just want to have fun driving it.  Someone changed rear of it to a wooden pickup body. Really like it. Before I buy it I need an estimate to help my husband fix it or someone to do it. My (Honest friend) needs to sell it because he is moving. I need an idea how much money I will need to borrow. If not in my budget, then I will sell it for him. I live in Maine. I have pictures of it. Things like new grill needs to be put back on. Radiator all good. Have everything. Owner wanted to restore it but never finished it. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

This is pretty much impossible to answer without a LOT more information and pictures. You at least need to tell us area where the car is located so a member of one of the Model A Ford clubs can look up the closest members to you and find a person who could physically examine the car and give you a more accurate answer.

Howard Dennis 

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Even without pics, your description is good enough to tell that it is not worth much

Prewars are worth almost nothing anymore as projects cars.

AACA People need to get over it.  My favorite era of cars is coming to a bleak end, an some still think these old wrecks are worth 30,000

The back hacked to pickup is quaint but hurts value.  Radiator shell is off ? why? Overall reading, it sounds like it needs a lot.(a wreck)

$1500 to 2000 to a ratrodder or a desperate person , MAX

A lot would depend on the condition of the major parts like the engine and axles to give an idea of a cost to reassemble. While reassembling a Model A is not a really big job, if the engine or rear axles are bad, those things could cost several thousand dollars to repair and, by the description of that car, would not be practical in my opinion. I agree with Mr. Dennis, to check with a local Model A Ford club or an AACA club and see if you can find someone who knows Model A's to give you an idea of what's needed. Anyone could take on the project, but if they are not familiar with those cars, it could turn into a fiasco very quickly. I also agree that this would have to be a labor of love as the value of a vehicle like this is not much more than a parts car. If your husband really wants an A and wants to enjoy it soon, I would suggest just buying a good running driver: it may save a lot of frustration and money! Good luck with your project!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If it runs and drives buy it for $3500 or less then worry about what to do with it.  Some folks on this forum seem to be able to buy pre-war cars for next to nothing.  I am not one of them.  The cost is in the restoration.  Example:  An $7500 car can easily be $20000 when it's finished.  BTW that's a driver not a points car.

• Like 1

Pictures are a must. Buying what is called a "basket case" can be risky. You said that the body was changed to a wooden pick up. A picture will tell if only the trunk area was converted or the body was drastically altered. If so it might be worthless and only a parts car. Model A Fords are a "dime a dozen" and  between E-Bay and the MARC and MAFCA magazines, decent cars can be purchased for under 10K. I would contact the Maine chapter of the Model A Restorers Club, called the "Pine Tree A's" and see if someone can give you an honest estimate. 

• Like 2

Intact, complete and running Ford Model A cars can be had for a modest price, especially 4dr sedans. 

And there are plenty to choose from.  Unless you are skilled enough and have the time and space, you should stay away from any project car. 

Buy a Model A car that needs only gas and oil. 

LIke I said, they are cheap and plentiful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mercer09 said:

go to Ford Barn, ask the same questions and post photos.

F and J is prob close to the mark. Might go as high as 3500. but all depends............................

Mercer09....it is killing me that you have not figured out who I am in real life.... You did not know what I meant a few months ago when I said on a post, that you had been to my "shop" many times ...

I am Frank in Eastern CT.  We first met when I brokered a sale for a friend of mine named Bob Jr... The car you bought in less that 5 minute walk-around on a side trip from your NJ home...it was the 29 Model wood framed version of a 4 door sedan...a "Murray"

You then got a tour of my big building where I work on prewars, and I must have shown you a "customer car" being worked on?  That led to you dropping off one of yours for fiddling, when you came back up from NJ.  "You don't fool around" when looking at a car deal, to flip, or keep.. LOL

Speaking of that survivor Murray Model A you bought...I had it on Ford Barn and several people PMed me there, to say I was letting it go far too cheaply.  I replied that my friend was trying to settle the last item from his Dads estate, to allow everything to be finalized for probate dispersal.... AND NOT ONE person was interested in the very cheap price for a driver survivor.

Bob Jr, ALSO does not "fool around" when he needs a quick resolution of anything in life.

So, that is why I can say things about "certain" prewar car "values" here in my area, halfway between Boston/NYC....where money people should be?.  Some talk inflated values here, and on the net, but I know not where they are from?..or what is available there. New England pricing like the original posters home state of Maine, I do certainly know....and YOU do too  :) 

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

from the way you spoke in the past, never thought you had "time" to be on forums.................

so yes, a surprise. thanks for letting me in on your little secret.

I still have the Cord waiting here for you.  :lol:

812 1937- needing a full restoration

Frank was "my" top mechanic................. he can fix anything and was just talking with a friend this morning about the 32 Nash hubcaps Frank made from scratch............

absolutely impressive!  pun intended.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, captndan said:

Some folks on this forum seem to be able to buy pre-war cars for next to nothing.  I am not one of them.  

Yes, me either except for total junk and sometimes not even then.  But I am patiently waiting......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Hi Frank,

from the way you spoke in the past, never thought you had "time" to be on forums.................

so yes, a surprise. thanks for letting me in on your little secret.

I still have the Cord waiting here for you.  :lol:

Hi Ron.... The Cord was the first one of your fleet that I really wanted to try getting it to run FIRST, (as I always had a SWB sedan on my non-existent bucket list.  I just never got one :()  I like the sedan better than open,... the car was originally styled to be a sedan in my opinion

Now, with what you later said about you finally getting the last few headbolts off, and describing the corrosion possibilities, and coolant filters you have found...I got cold feet as to how long my work bay would be tied up......but since you were here, I added two more.  I will give it a go, maybe very late summer?  I can store it over the winter if we get early snow, as I know you stop towing by later fall.

• Like 1

Well, are you going to let us know what you have decided to do? You have received several excellent suggestions so you shouldn't keep us hanging.

For the benefit of Oldlady, here's a link to the MAFCA listing contact people for the two Main chapters of the club.  http://www.mafca.com/chapters/ME.html

There is a Model A Restorer's Club but they have no regions in Maine.

You would be well-advised to contact one or both of the clubs to give them your story, and ask their advice as to how to proceed.  Possibly you could join one of the clubs, go to a meeting, and ask the members if someone would be available to lend you a hand in fixing up the car, and what sort of expense this would involve.

Please don't buy this Model A. If you have to borrow money to buy it, you certainly can't afford to make it run. If you're borrowing money, borrow a bit more and buy a running car you can enjoy right away. Do not be tempted by the logic that says buying a pile of parts and putting it back together again is cheaper than a complete, running car. It is not. The purchase will only be the first of many checks you will be writing, and while I mean no offense, your user name of "Oldlady"  and your comments that you don't have enough time to put it back together suggest that if you buy it, you will never get to drive it.

If your friend were truly honest and truly a friend, he wouldn't sell this car to you. And don't agree to sell it for him, either. It's practically sales-proof and he'll blame you for it not selling. I have $10 that says he will eventually start demanding that you give him money for the car. This is a dark path you shouldn't take with an old car. Don't buy it and don't agree to sell it for him. It's his anchor, don't let him drown you with it.

Don't be tempted. If you must have a Model A, there are plenty of shabby but complete and roadable cars that you can buy and enjoy without spending the rest of your life trying to piece it back together. This is advice coming from the heart--it will be a monumental project and I hate to see wasted time and resources on something like that.

• Like 3

Buying a "basket case" car that is all apart is not for the faint of heart or wallet.  

What ever you expect to spend on putting it back together, a good multiplier for the final cost would be probably 3 TIMES your original estimate.  This also applies to the minimum amount of time you think it will take to put it back together. Four to 5 times the time estimate would probably be a better guesstimate. Just IMO.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1