Brake Pedal Shaft Grommet

beerczar1976

I believe this would apply to late 40s thru early 50s. I've reviewed the manuals and would just like to verify the actual location of the rubber brake pedal shaft grommet (same one used on clutch pedal shafts). Does it plug in thru the hole in the floorboard access panel, or does it actually ride up and down on the brake pedal shaft sealing the hole in the floorboard only when the brake is not depressed? Shop manual line drawings appear to have it located on the shaft and flushing up to the bottom side of the floorboard when brake is not depressed. Someone have a photo vs. a drawing they could share? I understand I'll probably have to unbolt the brake pedal shaft in order to slip the grommet in place...I don't think it'd stretch over the actually pedal itself.

From other GM products, specifically the '51 GMCs we've had, there is probably a rubber "surround" that might plug into the floor board for ornamental purposes, but there might also be a thick felt washer that is on the outside part of the pedal, which would somewhat seal the rod to the back of the floor pan when the pedals are released?  By observation, the thick felt washer might be more durable than a rubber grommet.

Just some thoughts, which might not be correct for Buicks,

NTX5467

In Bob's Automobilia catalogue (page 41-42 of Volume #60)it shows the same clutch and brake floor seal from 37-55 and it goes on the pedal so it only seals when the pedal is released.