1939 Dashboard photos

Guest CCB

Can someone post some photos of a correct '39 dash? I am trying to assemble the correct knobs etc for the dash on my 46S. Currently there are things that have been removed and replaced with items that don't belong (like a heater switch where the lighter should be). I have a copy of the manual but its so difficult to see the photo of the dash in it and tell where the arrows are pointing. For example I see a reference to a heater switch and a defrost switch, the arrows for these point to somewhere near the steering column but there is no way to tell from the poor photo. Where was the instrument light switch? Or the map light?

Thanks

Here are a couple of photos to get you started:

On the left side of the steering column the oval hole is where the dash lights, the map lights and clock and lighter wires attach.  It is a three position slide switch.  The manual picture shows the wiring sequence.  The dash photo shows from left to right the following knobs: Head Light; radio on/off/volume; radio channel select; lighter.  I don't know where the heater or defrost controls go, but look forward to someone posting more so I can find that out too.  The other switch in the first photo is for something not original, so don't let that confuse you.

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.bea2586d1d7f4486b8ad8f4c5144db6e.JPGIMG_0250.thumb.JPG.e064aba5ba3f6b68e7ba7d647508e0fe.JPGIMG_0251.thumb.JPG.c590a6636f07930b104353e113811643.JPG

Thank you! That is a great help! I see where on the under side of my dash the oval cut out and the adjacent circular holes are for that 3-way switch. All photos are so much of a help because I have no idea the way this is truly supposed to look.

Colin: A couple of dash pictures from one of my parts cars. The lower left photo shows the dash-map light switch which was the subject of another post here, the heater switch, and the hand throttle knob in the upper left of the photo. The center of the dash photo shows empty holes where the radio goes, cigar lighter receptacle at the lower right, headlight switch lower left, the odometer reset knob is visible just below the headlight switch, and the wiper on-off knob upper center. Bob H

LH Dash Map Light Throttle Heater Sw (Small).JPG

Center Dash (Small).JPG

My 39 Roadmaster has two very nice twist knob switches mounted on the bottom left side of the dash.  (See photo.)

The right one operates the heater fan. The left one may operate a defroster fan.  (We're still sorting it out. Instead, it may operate the Trippe lights.)  Both switches look period with the Art Deco/Streamline Moderne hash marks.

They are attached on the bottom lip of the dash through holes and hardware clamps with threaded studs. Otherwise, you will see the ignition switch on the steering column and the headlight switch to the right. My dash light/map light switch is the same as what a previous contributor noted.

IMG_20170429_161608407_HDR.jpg

On 5/26/2017 at 8:25 PM, BuickBob49 said:

The right one operates the heater fan. The left one may operate a defroster fan.  (We're still sorting it out. Instead, it may operate the Trippe lights.)  Both switches look period with the Art Deco/Streamline Moderne hash marks.

All of the 39s I've owned (many) that had the deluxe Air Control heater had only one switch.  Defroster was controlled by a turn level on the outlet neck going to the defrosters (by hoses).  I've never had one with the standard heater, but have had a few that had aftermarket heaters like an Arvin.  Took those out and sold them or threw them away.

You can't see the woodgain in the artist conception.  The one in my picture was professionally done by a man who inherited the original dies (probably not what you call them) and sells kits.  He said he had the rollers from the famous late Benny Estes who was once renowned for his woodgrain work.  Personally I thought they had too much walnut, and not enough black grain in the mahogany.  I may have pictures of my dash in the blue sedan, done in 1981 by hand, which I think is the best job I've ever seen.  If I get time I'll look for them.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)