WANTED DODGE BROTHERS VALVE GRINDING/LAPPING TOOL FOR BIT BRACE

Guest dbtimesthree

Guest dbtimesthree

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for the small valve lapping/grinding tool that goes into/fits a bit brace.  Please see attached picture.

Thanks !

100_9441.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, dbtimesthree said:

small valve lapping/grinding tool

That is so simple to make from an old brace drill bit shank.. 

and a welder, and some scrap rod

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise not using the type that fits into a drill.  When you use the oscillating style you do not go all the way around the same each time which allows you to smooth the seat.  If you use the style that fits a drill and you have a high spot on the valve it will not smooth it down but cut a groove around.  You are not cutting a new seat.

• Like 1

The last thing I would wish to do would be to give poor advice so I appreciate your intervention, Jan.  I have not had personal experience of an oscillating type lapping tool so cannot recommend it's use.  I have always found it good policy to lightly recut the seats and fit new valves; using grinding compound to finish. 

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I have never seen that type of tool.  I think it would be easy to lap in valves with it, just a simple one half or one third turn back and forth.  I hate those wooden sticks with the two suction cups.  Attached is the tool I use.  It gives a simple back and forth motion with little strain. However I think the tool you are looking for and a brace would be far better.

1.png

2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dbtimesthree

Hi Everyone

I should have mentioned that the tool isn't for use, it is for display with the Dodge Brothers tool set. It is the only thing I am missing.

Thanks