BUICKS IN METAIRIE LOUISIANA

Marty Roth

Another visit to Henry Shane Museum in Metairie, Louisiana - less than one mile from home.

In addition to the 1958 Century convertible, Mr. Shane aquired Bob Coker's Buick Landau.

We visited on Saturday when the museum was open to the CCCA CARavan which drove their Full Classics from St. Louis, MO to Metairie, LA. After the museum visit, the group enjoyed a buffet at Andrea's Restaurant, and planned to visit the WWII Museum and Mardi Gras World the next day.

Bob Coker - Howard Hughes Buick Landau at Henry Shane Museum-Metairie LA.jpg

1958 Buick Century convertible at Henry Shane.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I also feel very attached to the 1954 Landau.  I covered the story when it was displayed in a small museum in Texarkana, TX, where the original thermos and cups were reunited with the Landau.  The son of the original owner was there, too.  See the March 2009 Bugle for the complete article.  in 2011, Mr. Earl let me and my wife, Michelle, sit in it.  What a thrill that was.  Mr. Coker and Lamar were great care-takers of it.

RoyAndMichelle 2011 2.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

2011?!?! It's been that long?! Them were some good times!

That's because it was held in my neck of the woods!!

• Like 2

There wasn't more than one built, am I right?  Bob Coker had it at the AACA 75th Anniversary of AACA show in Louisville, KY a few years ago.  I understood him to say it was built for Harlow Curtice, GM of Buick.  So, then, the thermos story above caught my eye.  When you say the original owner's son was there, are you saying Harlow Curtice had a son?  Or, was the car sold to a public person as it's first owner?

The Landau was sold to a GM employee in the early 1960's, when Buick had decided it was no longer being used as a transport vehicle.  His son, who drove it quite a bit, now lives in Austin, TX.  He was there for the event in Texarkana.