1936 Chrysler Rear Fenders and Skirts

No, these are definitely not Airstream. These are probably off of a later, say '36 or '37, Chrysler Airflow Imperial because of the taillight shell that remains on the right fender. As familiar as I am with these, I get frustrated trying to figure out accurately which car they were specifically on when they left the factory. Google Images has lots of front three quarter shots of cars, but never enough rear pictures. Also, some of the photos have misinformation on them as to year and model, etc. What I find most irritating with these skirts is that some have painted moldings on the lower edge, while others have stainless. Just because a photo has the accurate year and model information, doesn't mean that the skirts that are currently on it are the absolute correct ones. I believe that I'm right in saying that all Airflow fenders and skirts are the same basic interchangeable items no matter their year ('34 to '37) or model (Desoto, Chrysler or Imperial). They just have different holes in them and different trim on them. Honestly, I think that if I had them, I might consider listing the fenders and the skirts separately. I don't know if coupe and sedan fenders are interchangeable. Here's a picture of a '36 Airflow Imperial from Google (notice the tail light):

Chrysler Airflow photo 85065

Jack & Hudsy thanks for your comments.

Excellent comments, research and opinions.

So I will go with a 36 Chrysler Airflow.

The tail lights and gas filler look to be the same as the photo above.

I have several other skirts that I posted previously to determine year and model.

I think I will take them all out and lay them on the floor with these for another comparative.

You are probably right about separating them out and selling individually.

This skirt business started when I was looking for a pair for my 35 Dodge Coupe.

I have in the interim used a pair of 38 Desoto skirts on my 35 Coupe.....not perfect but close and got the look that I was looking for on this project.

Still looking for a pair of 35 Dodge skirts though.

The subject of skirts comes up from time to time and maybe we've communicated before. In earlier threads I've always tried to make the point that Airstream skirts are easily identified from Airflow skirts by whether or not there is a flared tip on the bottom rear corner of the skirt. Are you guys able to see that ?

Yes we discussed this back in January.

And I see the bottom rear corner on the skirt.

I used a pair of 38 Desoto skirts on my 35 Dodge Coupe.

These have a more pronounced flare at the back and fit almost perfectly except the front portion of the skirt does not align or go low enough in the front.

I showed that in our January conversation.

Unfortunately these airflow and airstream skirts I seem to find so many of are not a fit for my various 35 Dodge cars.

Thanks again.

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...