1972 Old 98 75th Anniversary Tiffany

Branded

• 4 months later...

Mr. Branded, the car, it appears, is a Ninety-Eight Regency.

Regency was the high-level trim package that gave the buyer

a nicer interior and maybe a few extra accessories as standard.

"Tiffany" is simply the advertising man's description, with

some brief corporate tie-in to the Tiffany jewelry firm.  (Even the

plastic clock evidently has a Tiffany script molded in.)  Tiffany

is not the edition, nor part of the name.

It's nice to see that someone preserved that car well.

Demand for such a car is modest, but I'd rather see your car

than the flock of popular Cutlass 442's that are at every show.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

72 was the first full-production Regency, offered only as a four-door hardtop and was made to commemorate Oldsmobile Division's 75th anniversary. The color is called Regency Gold IIRC and the  interior is an offshoot of the special option Regency cloth interior offered  in the 1968 98 Luxury Sedan. The Tiffany items were a bonus to mark an already special car.

Regency proved popular enough that for 1973 it became a regular production option and then was offered also as a Regency Coupe starting 1974.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 10:48 AM, Imperial62 said:

The clock, the key chain, if a match, indicate it is a Tiffany and not just a Regency.

Every '72 Regency had the Tiffany items, and the Tiffany items weren't available with any other model besides the Regency. Oldsmobile never referred to any model as a Tiffany.  The sales brochure:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/index.php/NA/Oldsmobile/1972-Oldsmobile/1972-Oldsmobile-Regency-Folder

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

This is correct about the Tiffany name. Olds felt the name just added a little more zip. I believe after the 73 Model, Oldsmobile no longer used the Tiffany name in 98 ads. By the way, the new for 72 98 Regency was the very first car to use the plush "Loose Pillow Look" interior. Something that most other luxury cars would soon follow. Oldsmobile's slogan, "Always a step ahead" was usually right. I like all cars but Oldsmobile was always my favorite.

The association of Tiffany & Co. is an early example of automotive manufacturers 'co-branding', which started to become rather popular in the 1980's.  The 'Eddie Bauer' Ford Broncos and Expeditions being among the most famous of co-branded marques.   And it continued with the 'Harley Davidson' Super Duty trucks.

Craig