37 Hudson Terraplane Coupe Value

Guest Mindspeed

Guest Mindspeed

Hello, I am new to Hudsons and this forum. I am trying to figure out a ballpark value of a 1937 Hudson Terraplane Coupe. Unfourtanly i do not have any Pics but I will do my best to discribe it

The body is Solid except for 3 spots

- Lower rear edge of the body below the trunk hatch has holes all along it as well as the trunk floor pan along the back edge

- and bot rear inner fender wells have holes along the front outside edge

as I said the rest of the body is solid. There is no hood with the car nor are there any running boards. the rust holes have been all brushed down and cleaned up then painted with POR 15. it does have all the glass in it

The Motor is a completely rebuilt 1951 Twin H Power 202 Jet with rebuilt carbs completely gone through and repainted. All this was done in the last year and a half

There is no interior... by that i mean there is a seat, Sort of... The dash with gauges and a steering wheel with 3 on the tree, the floor pan in solid and covered with brand new dynamat. There are no door pannels

There car is apart the motor and trans are in but no wiring I was told everything is there to put the car together aside from running some new wiring maybe... Ive have seen and had my hands on all the fenders, Wheels, Radiator, Grill, Lights, and Bumpers

I Am curious and to what the car would be worth the way it sits. I have been told the motor is worth around 5k being completely redone

As I said I am completely New to Hudsons but I am a car guy any help with this is greatly appreciated

20 minutes ago, Mindspeed said:

I have been told the motor is worth around 5k being

Never going to happen at that price. 

a guy won't spend 5k on "some body said rebuilt". It is not worth the risk if a poor job, unknown crack or whatever

I Am curious and to what the car would be worth the way it sits

Not being a jerk, but you describe a parts car, or a super tough "questionably restorable" car, that has a rapidly shrinking buyers interest, as the guys who like a stock 37 are too old for a project, and typical potential buyer today wants a modern chassis, engine, A/C etc.

the rust holes have been all brushed down and cleaned up then painted with POR 15.

That sounds really tacky workmanship, that is nothing to be proud of, and makes people wonder what else is so poorly done,,,like the "rebuilt" motor?

I think it will be a tough sell at 2k...might sell at 1000 to 1500 to a low income street rodder. or ratrodder  Where will they get a hood? That will scare people off as well as running boards and it does sound pretty rough.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Guest Mindspeed

The Person who owned the car was a big collector and kept all receipts for everything. I can do the body work easy in the fender wells its just the rear lower section of the body I would have to find to Restore it... otherwize try to make and patch for rat rod. The car was my wifes Grandfathers. but i also dont want to over pay to aquire it

I guess I should have said New / redone gas tank, re cored radiator,

16 minutes ago, Mindspeed said:

owned the car was a big collector and kept all receipts for everything.

16 minutes ago, Mindspeed said:

New / redone gas tank, re cored radiator,

Projects simply don't sell well these days, so that makes the prices drop greatly, as no other bidders are there wanting it with cash in hand.  When an estate keeps asking too much, it just sits, then they finally put it out for a very low price to try to

get it gone.

Money overspent on repair items, like on a small house in a upscale neighborhood won't bring a higher, better price.

22 minutes ago, Mindspeed said:

The car was my wifes Grandfathers. but i also dont want to over pay to aquire it

Don't let emotions of other people force you to not think clearly.  Never use the overpriced restored show car value of any model, make you think it must be worth a lot as a very rough car.  Bid what it is worth to you, with your skills and tools.  Pay the money, but always with the attitude that you "might" have to take a big loss if you can't get it on the road.

Guest Mindspeed

Thank you....  one good thing is my wife is looking at it as a project and not sentimental and we are on the same page... so I have that going.... once again thank you for your input

The Hudson Jet was built in '53 and '54 only, so right off the bat, you've been misinformed that it's a '51 engine. That in itself isn't the end of the world, but what other things is the seller wrong about? If it was a Hudson Hornet engine with the dual carburetors that has been rebuilt, you would be talking about a fairly valuable engine, but only if it had receipts. The Jet engine was 202 cubic inches, while the Hornet engine was 308 -- a big difference.

• Like 1

Running boards and a hood can all be found. 37 Hudsons/terraplanes are a great looking car. Comments about the Jet motor are true. It is not a valuable project, if complete you would be in the range of 4,500-7,500 dollars. That is for a complete project, not hacked up. Price would have a lot to do with where in the country you are selling it. Solid cars in rusty States are gold. Way to many factors to put a price on it, with out seeing pictures. But they make good looking customs/street rods.

more 1937 hudson shots 050.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 043.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 022.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Mindspeed

got some pics finally... the Motor I'm Told is a JET 202 it has the twin H set up and on top of the head it says super power dome.. it has been completely rebuilt / restored (receipts to prove)

as for the rest of the car all the rot is in the Rear inner fender wells, Trunk floor pan near back edge and all along the bottom rear of the body (not some thing easily fixed) 

there is no Hood, Running boards, or lower rear valance (at least I cant find it, its supposed to be around)

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0209.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

Cool project, a clean slate to do what ever you want. I would put the value at $5,500. When looking at the pictures it is clear it was not stripped to bare metal before primer. the fixes that are needed will be easy to do, you just need to blast it down to bare metal first to see the extent of the rust. Parts are out there, that would be a nice mild engine for a stock steering/braking system. To move forward with body work/paint would be a mistake, when you can tell someone sprayed right over a rusted body. Body/panels need to be stripped and cleaned. 

Run, Forest, Run..

stick a fork in it, it's done

Rot at wheel arches is too demanding in skill to most dreamers.  It will be all warped by the typical "Jonny Dreamer" with a harbor freight flux core, and no skill

Car is JUNK.  Rot is extensive, that is why some dreamer did the motor and gas tank first, as the rest he was trying to ignore.  Car is Junk, not worth more than parts,  Parting it out, takes crazy effort, time, waste of life.  Car is junk.

Cars should never be Imagined/daydreamed by a pic of a nice one on net, look at what it is now///  JUNK

• Like 3

I wouldn't say it's junk,  but it will require a person with certain skills that the average joe may not have to fix.   Be sure you have the skills to do the fabrication work before you buy it.   Price may be high considering the degree and skill required to fix it properly.  I would be concerned about any more lingering rust you didn't notice.  There always ends up being more rust than you noticed the first time. 

If you want to see real junk,   Come  to the the north east.   I will show you real junk that guys are trying to build. 

There was one of these for sale with the slide out pickup bed for under 20 in really nice shape on the west coast last summer.  I also believe recently another with the pickup bed surfaced for a similar amount in nice condition but i can't' recall where i saw it listed for sale.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, F&J said:

Run, Forest, Run..

stick a fork in it, it's done

Rot at wheel arches is too demanding in skill to most dreamers.  It will be all warped by the typical "Jonny Dreamer" with a harbor freight flux core, and no skill

Car is JUNK.  Rot is extensive, that is why some dreamer did the motor and gas tank first, as the rest he was trying to ignore.  Car is Junk, not worth more than parts,  Parting it out, takes crazy effort, time, waste of life.  Car is junk.

Cars should never be Imagined/daydreamed by a pic of a nice one on net, look at what it is now///  JUNK

Ouch, harsh words for the new guy. I guess I will just bounce back over to the topic "how to get more young people involved" That car can be saved with very little work. Even if a person does not have a lot of skill. It looks to be solid enough that it could be put on the road. Great car for a custom build. The Hudson truck that I just finished was pulled from a Hog farm in Harper KS. It was not as nice as the coupe pictured above. A person should always look at what something could be, it is the only way we hold on to hope for this country.

• Like 2

The intake setup is probably the most valuable thing there if I were to guess. Would be a solid rat rod starting point. I would think close to the $1k mark myself though, maybe $1500 if you feel the parts he's already done fall in line with the direction you want to take it.

4 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Ouch, harsh words for the new guy.

Xander...no, the reply was not going against your opinion "to the new guy"..

I run a shop like you do, but on the "low end of the food chain".  I am the "last chance garage" PERIOD.  Lower income/moderate income clients hear of me by word of mouth if they got into a bad car, with a very bad prognosis. 

Time and again, people see a beautiful car at Hershey or the net, then allow themselves to be drawn into the "sirens call" when a same model in poor shape becomes available very close by, at a bargain price.  They jump first, without thought, as it is so local that there is no need to wonder about long distance purchase worries, etc...  Then eventually have their dreams dissolve... It gives a bad taste of their new hobby...forever.

I can assume by the wording of the person asking about this car, that he simply does not know what lies ahead on it's salvation, and I am positive he lacks the skills/tools to save it.  I am sure of that.  He needs TRUTH, not more excitement.

Can I fix that car?, damn well YES I CAN. >>>BUT...  He is not me.

We must not allow our slanted feelings of a certain model, help make a fellow potential hobbyist looking at "an old car"  to buy, make a horrible mistake.  He was not looking for that favorite model of "yours"

17 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Even if a person does not have a lot of skill. It looks to be solid enough that it could be put on the road.

Totally misleading to "this client" IMO, with totally NO disrespect to you, Xander, with YOUR skills to fix hog farm cars that you KNOW you can fix properly.  I work on New England rot boxes, I sure know what that car needs.  Yes, half-arsed patching with various methods can get the body to seemingly "better" shape...such as fiberglassing, tacked overlap patches in the wells, etc.

22 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A person should always look at what something could be, it is the only way we hold on to hope for this country.

Please re-read my total wording on that.  I Lust for our prewar hobby's health and enjoyment as much as you must also.  I know prewar has seen it's best days, but you and I will go down with the ship, and I am very grateful that there are dedicated people like you, that can save some of these great cars, even if they become restomods.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The harsh words are gold.  The worst thing that could happen to a younger person interested in the hobby would be a black hole project.

AJ, my intent and wording was to create replies on this particular situation ...good or bad..

My very good friend Bob Jr, let's me know in equally harsh wording when apparently, I NEED better advice.  He can be extremely harsh to me, but that gets his point across real darn quick.. A slap to reality...which I am then later grateful for.

Read and reread posts 17,18,19 by F & J and alsancle, these men know exactly what they are talking about. I too live in the northeast (lower border - on long island) and it takes a great deal of skill to "cure" the rust that car has in the places it has it. Better to be discouraged now and not jump in then later on when you own it and are in over your head. I love all cars, but pre war especially and encourage anyone looking for a collector car to go look at cars of that era. I give them rides in mine so they can absorb the whole package beyond just looking at a static display - cars are meant to be driven not just looked at, and the sounds they make, the smell of the upholstery etc are all part of the experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I love all cars, but pre war especially and encourage anyone looking for a collector car to go look at cars of that era. I give them rides in mine so they can absorb the whole package beyond just looking at a static display - cars are meant to be driven not just looked at, and the sounds they make, the smell of the upholstery etc are all part of the experience

Are you my long lost twin brother??  :)  

see...there really are prewar soldiers still in place at the front lines...

Here are pics of a 34 LaS that was a parts donor.  I said in my restoration thread, that I knew is was a "desert dry car".  I have 50 years experience in knowing where a car might be from, as I live in a bad climate here in New England.

I will let the pics do the talking about the differences in the Terraplane's condition... A newbie should try to start with a similar condition prewar, and he "will" be successful with it.

DSCN1022.thumb.JPG.642c0db403501abae3bbf518cc2693d5.JPG

^^^^ Rear wheel arch, drives side, looking forward, rear door opened and you can see the lowerb part of the middle "B" pillar, another part to inspect on any car.  Zero rust holes ...original 34 paint!

dscn1018.jpg.863edf0daa1b2103ae91a9127f88fae7.jpg

^^^^^  Body is sitting on a very rusty trailer.... this is the driver front door sill area, and lower cowl area, suicide door car... No, that is not rust scale flaking at the back of the aluminum sill plate on the far right of pic...it is a piece of rotted "Fleetwood" installed, anti-squeak cloth sticking out.  You can see more traces of the fabric running along the sill plate towards the front "A pillar".

Bear in mind, this car was used a parts donor for open bodied 34 LaSalles.  I have found a person who wants to save it, and we will, here at my shop.  It is a rare find, "condition-wise" here in my area.   Any prewar in this condition, even a "4 door" NEEDS to be saved.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I do have to laugh at some of this, we all know it takes skill to do this work as a business or a hobby. And the cost involved can add up fast. But you have no idea who is behind that post and pictures. As far as me building the upper end stuff, I sit here and laugh. On other posts I have stated that people tried to collapse my business. Not a joke. A big play to push a business into the tank. If a person did not catch the play by others to lock me up through terms and conditions, and pulling all the work from me, it was done to get me to bite. Two worlds crashed together at the same time. Stood up and caught this city pulling a fast one, stuck a fork in shady stuff, only to find out that people set up my business in a very large scam. And I still sit here and wonder how long people can continue to turn a blind eye to/too/two the whole thing. Turning out cars faster than any other shop, it rocks the price fixed boat around here. If your business is in the county and you are going to be annexed in the city. People will come after you, try to make you think you are part of something. Crush you, or own you. Then off into the wait arms of a city. This State got caught, and not much interest in looking into it. This is a great trade/hobby, around here it is locked down and controlled. Maybe SEMA or a group like that might talk about some of this behind the scenes stuff, and make it a better car scene for the youth. Picking winners and losers based on who is owned, does not drive a industry. I have seen a few of the pictures you have posted FJ, you do good work. I think a lot of people on this site do good work. But all of this talk about getting people involved in the hobby/trade/industry is just talk, if you are not wanting to have an honest conversation about what goes on. Small businesses around here are sacked. Be careful with just the word of mouth for your work flow. It can be a way people pin you down and string along a business, so you can not climb a ladder. Just enough work to keep you busy.  There is a national news story sitting here in this little city, on many levels.

Buy it if you want it. I'd say, if you are writing to an online forum and asking you aren't motivated. First post was Saturday. If I wanted it the car would be in my garage. If I figured out it didn't meet my expectations by Wednesday it would be up for sale and I would probably make a few bucks just by creating a better presentation.

It can be frustrating to play in the old car hobby, but there are a lot of side benefits. Daydreaming, at a minimum, is certainly worth a good psychologists fee and the hours are more flexible. Spend a little time with this "Johnny Dreamer" mentioned above and then go talk to Johnny who doesn't dream. You'll have a good idea of where those sour, frozen faces in the folding chairs come from at the next car show.

My Wife and I were talking a couple of days ago, and I told her too many people are sitting on the edge of their seat, anxiously waiting for someone's conclusion. When they should be gathering facts on their own. That was a general statement, not just cars.

One of the first cars I bought, at 13 or 14 years old, was a '37 Terraplane coupe. The guy said it was his dream car and my Mother joked about it being his nightmare right up until she passed away. I never got it finished. I never got a lot of cars finished, but I do notice I smile and laugh a lot more that many of the others I grew up with.

I look back over my life and the only regrets I have are about things I didn't do. AND  right now the only ones I can think of are cars I didn't buy.

Oh, oh, oh, some Buick Club chapter members were at my garage one night when I had an early Jaguar sedan project in the back, One of the guys asked "Gee, when do you think you will ever get that thing done?" "Maybe never." I replied. I didn't. I sold it to a dreamer and used the money on a pretty nice Buick.

Bernie

Guest Mindspeed

Harsh word or not i understand where F&J is going with what he said... and he is right i do not have the skills to fix the back trunk floor pan edge but i am capable of  most of the rest, and i know people who could fix it correctly in time.... as i stated before this was my wifes grandfathers car. He has owned it since the early 50s im trying to keep it in the family. I know its going to be a big project. But im not gonna spend an arm and a leg to get it either.... regardless if I purchase the car or not Grandma has asked me to put it together. Grandpa was trying to get it together as a rat rod for he was too long in years to restore it. 

If you come up with the money the car comes with stipulations under the watchful eye of the family? If someone beats you to it the car is theirs with no encroachment.

I didn't see that. You are in trouble. That's like seeing the Good Intentions Paving Block Company truck pull up with a full load. Whatever you do will be the topic of a Thanksgiving dinner conversation, or, more likely, non-conversation.

The Terraplane on its own is a challenge, but something that can be dealt with. Bring in the family and it's a whole different tune.

Guest Mindspeed

Nope im the only one with any intrest in the car. I do what i want with it... which was pretty much restore the body, do a really nice interior and keep the rest stock.... but i have decided to just get it together for them than i walking away from it i dont want a rat rod and its too big of a project to take on at this time.. 

Thought I would chime in with a late comment/comparison. I have a good friend who some time ago lost his wife and he still has not recovered from the loss. How the loss works into the process I am not really sure, but has had his all original 1937 Terraplane coupe for sale. I mean all original paint, interior and running gear including OD and working "Magic Hand" shifter option. The condition for an eighty year old car is really special! Not trying to sell it for him and really hope that he doesn't sell it, but for all I know it may have already sold. His asking price in the low $30K range seemed a bit high, but a recent discussion with some Hudson guys made me realize that he was close to being on the money for the car.