To Redline or not to Redline

Chimera

That is the question... 

(Redline Tires or quad blackout?)

Also the original dealers build receipt showed it came with door guards. They did not have when I purchased, yet got some NOS. Yes or no on the door guards?

PS: The California Coast is always better in a Riviera.

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Redlines on a  black car to pick up the red in GS emblems. Spend some of that money you have been making selling that starwars stuff:P

My 66 had door guards but could not bring myself to install them after paint plus it looks better without. With fresh paint its a one way ticket.

Edited by JZRIV
add door guard comment (see edit history)

IF you're worried that you can't control your doors when you open them and you're afraid that your carelessness will chip the edge of your doors ? (they're not designed to protect your car from the other guy) you can purchase black plastic ones from the aftermarket. They're flexible and universal and have some adhesive in them to keep them in place.  My 90 and 93 (as well as my 94 Roadmaster wagon) have door edge guards that are body colored.  The later models I've bought have never had them.

I agree that the stainless ones break up the lines of dark color paint.

Ed

Thank you for the responses and input.

In contrast I put door guard on this 67 green mist (looks sliver in picture) and redlines. I actually like the look of the dual guards here, but the redlines of course are questionable on a none GS and with this color.

Functionally if parking my vehicle in a tight garage (storage unit) sometimes it helps for protection. But with darker paint there particularly break up body lines. I know Jason was also talking about this with his MZ 66 (Shadow Turquoise).

Also to compare a dark (black) GS with door guards and whitewalls. 

I personally want to put redlines on everything, yet see the error of my ways...

20150720_172120.jpg

20150921_130538.jpg

20150921_130656.jpg

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Chimera said:

I personally want to put redlines on everything, yet see the error of my ways...

I'm a black car, red interior, and whitewall guy. I think it is inherited taste. When I see the red line tires I immediately remember the stack of colored Port-A-Walls we had in the tire shop when I was 15 or 16 (1965ish). It's like dumping out a can of alphabet soup and finding Greek letters. It just ain't right.

Oh, door edge guards on light color cars are OK. It's breaking up the flow of a dark, primary colored body line that hurts.

Bernie

• Like 1

Guest dwhiteside64

I think red lines look very nice when you have rallye wheels, but white walls look better on spoke wheels, aluminum spinners, or standard wheel covers. As far as door edge protectors go I have the cheap plastic variety and like the way they accent the mid-section body sculpture of the car, though I only have them because they are listed on the Fisher body tag as a paid for option....

I wouldn't use white, red, (or we actually did have blue and yellow Port-A-Walls in that selection), on any rally or mag style wheel, if I used them. But I don't care for them. I mentioned, once, that I call them the obligatory wheels. This week is actually the 39th anniversary of my purchase of the car. I was at the Victor, New York MG Sports Car Festival on the first weekend in June 1978, a couple weeks after I bought it.

You can't imagine how many times over the years I have been asked "Why don't you" or "Why didn't you" or "When are you" going to put those styled steel, in my book, wheels on it (ralleys are on the Skylarks), like everyone else. "Cause I didn't do nuthin' anyone else did, besides, when I bought the AMT 3 in 1 kit in 19634 I put the wire wheels on the model. Every time the little BB rolled through the gray mush it always ended up with the wire wheel covers.... and whitewalls.

Styled Steel should get clean blackwalls with no wipe on shine.

Bernie