Is a Gear Vendor on a c6 worth it for me??

Vagaso

I have a 1969 Mercury Monterey that is a stock cruiser. 390 with a c6 and an axle ratio of 2.75:1. With this axle ratio is it even worth the overdrive? I've never heard of someone putting an overdrive with this ratio. 

4 hours ago, C Carl said:

It is properly geared now. Save your time and money.   - Carl

I have to agree with Carl on this one.  With 2.75 rear gears, the GV overdrive will only be useful when you try to set a record at Bonneville.

Now, you COULD install the GV backwards and use it as an UNDERDRIVE in low gears.  Your off the line acceleration will be much improved. :D

Yeah , Joe. With a final drive ratio now what ? In the 1.85 or so range ? You'd be well advised to hook up a built 460 to that C6 in order to pull those long legs.

And for the B'ville flats , bore and stroke increases with a huffer up top. Doubt the GV O.D. could handle a mill like that. Or could it ?  - Carl

54 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Yeah , Joe. With a final drive ratio now what ? In the 1.85 or so range ? You'd be well advised to hook up a built 460 to that C6 in order to pull those long legs.

Do the math, Carl.  If you install the GV backwards (which I'm sure it is not designed for), you get a 1/0.78 underdrive, or a 1.28 multiplication.  That turns the OP's 2.75 gears into 3.53:1. 

Yes, that was an attempt at humor.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)