Canadian Police Using GPS Darts to Track Speeding Cars

Up here in Canada they are toying with the idea to shoot a sticky GPS dart from the grill of a Police car . On to the back of the Felon speeding car . Then call off the high speed chase and follow the Dart with GPS so another Police car can follow it . Then I assume arrest the felon ? ? 

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/05/19/opp-to-fire-gps-darts-at-fleeing-vehicles-to-avoid-high-speed-chases/

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I've read comments that m'f'r's track warranty vehicles 24/7 ti determine if warranty claims result of abusive operating...

And same for rental outfits to determine rental operated within normal guidelines....

Same for insurance companies ...don't know if any or all of this is correct or just conspiracy theory stuff...

Have to wonder how well the Grappler works when the chase is 80-100+ mph on a crowded road/highway? Also have to wonder if higher speeds create a greater risk of the vehicle flipping and/or hitting other vehicles on the road? Strictly from a risk point of view to others on the road the Dart seems to pose much less of a danger to the public.

3 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

Not sure if you could go 80-100mph on a "crowded" highway.

I guess my point is that the Grappler videos showed almost all one "criminal" vehicle and one "police" vehicle examples on a closed course except for the final part where there were two other vehicles one on either side of the "criminal" vehicle. Interesting to note that youtube seems to only have demo videos of the product and no videos of real world use by police of this device. I guess this is a new product?

Come visit where I live in Eastern PA. We have one 4 lane divided highway that is posted at 55 mph. According to local police the "average" speed is 75-80 mph. A few years ago over a 4 day period they ticketed 200 vehicles. A few of those vehicles were clocked at 110 mph. One person was even ticketed TWICE during the 4 day period. I guess he did not learn the first time. FYI this road carries 50,000+ vehicles per day and can get "crowded" with vehicles traveling 75-80 during morning & evening rush hour with very little buffer space between them (ie Nascar Racing) Sadly this is just one example of more than a few roads in this area. 

Charlie

Guest BillP
21 hours ago, mercer09 said:

looks like overkill to me and yes............... more tax dollars.

what ever happened to Clints 357 magnum?

will get the job done every time!

Pedantry has no boundaries. Clint, as Harry Callahan, carried a Smith & Wesson Model 29, chambered in .44 Magnum.

Guest BillP

I dunno, 357 is a famous round, predates the .44. One of the neighbor kids, a couple of years older than me was once bragging about the .357. He said it was so stupendously powerful that it would "blow the hood off a car". Being of a mechanical bent, I pondered that scenario for quite a while. 

a device I have been looking at works much better. you pull in behind the car and shoot it with a reverse magnetic field which takes out all computer chips. The vehicle will just coast to the side of the road. This device is inexpensive and proven to work.  I want one for the slow idiots that sit in the left lane on the highway.