Great air cleaner seal

PWB

Finally found an outstanding air cleaner housing (base) seal replacement for my '67.

It is perfect. About 20 bucks. Should fit any 60's '70's cleaners base or lid.

Just had to share because I don't see better on the 'net.

Old.JPG

New.JPG

Comparison.JPG

Data.JPG

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, PWB said:

Finally found an outstanding air cleaner housing (base) seal replacement for my '67.

It is perfect. About 20 bucks. Should fit any 60's '70's cleaners base or lid.

Not familiar with pelican o-rings (but come to think of it,  have never been that up close to a pelican). Was there any cutting involved or does the o-ring dimension just happen to fit the air cleaner? What are they actually used for and where can they be purchased.

• Like 1

When I worked in the AC air cleaner plant in the 70's the seal that went around the edge of the top was a black ROUND foam type seal.  Probably came in about 1,000 ft rolls and it was just inserted into the groove and cut to meet.  Reason for round is that there was no orientation for insertion into the groove.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, NCRiviera said:

Paul, would this seal work in the lid of an air cleaner assembly? As Larry mentioned above, the original lid seals were round in profile.

Thoughts?

Mike

The lid is the same. Although the seal is labeled O Ring, the cross section is D.

However, it makes a great seal. An imprint is left on the seal upon removal, proving contact.

It appears factory fresh IMO.

I think I paid 12 bucks.

Paul

8 hours ago, NCRiviera said:

Good to know but I would not buy anything from seller CarID. Their feedback rating sucks.

I've had at least two sets of SoffSeal door seals years ago. Never fit right and was worse than the original sets.

I could only hope their product has improved by now?

From the 60's thru 80's most GM seals were soft closed cellular dipped in a flexible coating. Pretty darn good unless you let them bake in UV for many years.

What's so difficult about duplicating that? Surely the patent rights have expired?

I still have the original '67's on my car with just a few cracks. I won't change them till they fall off.

Ugh

Edited by PWB
typos (see edit history)

On 6/15/2017 at 2:19 PM, PWB said:

For storm cases.

There are a few retailers out there. Their cross section is D-shaped. Cut to fit. I cut at a 45'. I could have made at least 2 out of mine.

Here is one source:

http://www.pelicancases.com/O-Rings-C76.aspx

I received my Pelican gasket kit the other day and installed it on my Riviera this morning. I am very happy with how it fits in the air cleaner lid groove and looks stock. Thanks Paul for bringing this to the attention of the group! 

Original gasket 

20171021_100753.thumb.jpg.c67e1d7ff450badf5e73e998995da638.jpg

Pelican gasket

20171021_104229.thumb.jpg.4216d262bef360d7525f53ca8833d521.jpg

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1