1917 touring steering "looseness"

Guest trap442w30

Guest trap442w30

Maybe this is they way they were made to absorb shock, but I noticed it when I swerved to avoid a pothole and the car took off across the road.  In the link going from the steering gearbox arm to the front wheel assembly there is a ball and socket, the socket has springs in it that move relatively easy.  When grabbing a hold of the left front wheel, I can move it left and right probably 5 degrees.  I'll admit that I have a 34" lever (the wheel), but It just seems strange to allow the wheel that kind of movement.  I haven't taken it apart yet, but it doesn't feel like the springs are broken, just wondering if they get weaker over time or maybe they have been replaced.

If the drag link is similar to the Dodge 8 1930, it will have a ball, two seats and either one spring on one side of the ball or one spring on each side at the wheel end and the same arrangement around the ball on the steering arm. On mine you tighten the end plug fully then undo it 1.5 turns and insert cotter pin. Those springs are pretty powerful.

I recommend you take it apart and look at the wear. Clean and reassemble with plenty of grease and new covers over the hole around the ball shaft (it keeps the grease in).

If you have a bit of play, check the drag link both ends and the tie rod ends, as well as the steering spindles and the steering box. They all introduce "looseness" if worn. If the shaft the steering arm (a.k.a. Pitman arm) is attached to has worn bushes you will also get play.

Tim,

On my Light Six, I have a single spring that is very strong and almost fully collapsed when assembled so you get very little play (maybe 0.020").

Scott

DSC07705.thumb.JPG.fb2c3c1225abf007cb392da5beb219aa.JPGDSC07706.thumb.JPG.6ad9e4ba1d424b91648df4f89569eec7.JPG