Starter Just Keeps Cranking - 61 Electra

JohnO

I had my starter rebuilt and the problem is it keeps cranking.

What I know:

1 - Even with a remote starter being used to supply voltage from the battery directly to the "S" terminal (bypassing the ignition switch) it will continue cranking when you release the switch. It is somewhat intermittent meaning that it will stop cranking on its own or keep cranking to the point where you have to disconnect the ground on the battery. It will not start cranking again once you reconnect the ground.

2 - I contacted the rebuilder. He installed a new solenoid and it does the same thing.

3 - There were no shims.

4 - It is the same starter that was rebuilt. Prior to the rebuild it always engaged smoothly.

5 - You can see on the starter gear where contact was made with the flywheel. It looks even enough and it does not clash. There was a new drive and gear installed.

6 - On the bench, the starter is fine.

Possible options going forward:

1 - Remove the starter and grind the gear where the starter is making contact with the flywheel. The logic being the old starter gear and the flywheel were wearing at the same rate; however, the new gear is slightly larger causing it to bind in the flywheel.

2 - Wing it by trying some shims. I would start with a shim behind the top bolt.

Conclusion:

1 - Definitely not the ignition switch.

2 - Highly unlikely that it is the solenoid as two new solenoids were installed.

3 - The problem is how the starter gear engages with the flywheel.

If it was the generator it would not be so bad, but I don't like removing and installing starters.

Any ideas? Thank you.

I know a guy who inadvertently connectn ed the wires wrong at the starter and made a short at the solenoid. If it works fine on the bench, disconnect everything but the primary (BIG wire), then connect the battery. Check for voltage on the small leads. Could be a stuck relay or shorted switch.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

Check to make certain one or both of the small wires on the starter's solenoid are not touching the positive cable.  Sometimes when tightening those small wires the wire itself will rotate a little bit,  as you get to that last turn, and touch the positive cable on the solenoid.  

2 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Could be a stuck relay or shorted switch.

13962624_10155049377935830_6733450360044

This is what happened to me when my starter kept engaging on me (or staying engaged). The culprit?

18451564_10156096268005830_1493168876542

I don't know if 61 is similar to 56 or not, but make sure to inspect the starter relay if there is one.

• Like 1