48Super

1965 Vacuum Trunk Release Operation

10 posts in this topic

I am curious to know if the vacuum tank for the trunk release on a '65 was equipped with a check valve to maintain the vacuum when the engine is shut down. My trunk release would only operate while the engine was running. I tested the reservoir tank with a vacuum pump and found it did not hold vacuum so apparently it does not have a working check valve.  I've added an in-line check valve on the vacuum supply hose and now the trunk opener will operate long after the engine is shut off. 

Does your trunk opener maintain vacuum?

Hi Mike,

The year may make a difference but the one in my '63 maintains vacuum and will release the trunk latch days or even many weeks after the engine was last started. In fact I never thought to see if it wouldn't work after an extended time.  

My Dad's 65 he bought new had the vacuum trunk release and it held vacuum for weeks as stated above

1 person likes this

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that the trunk release should hold the vacuum for a reasonable length of time. I think mine just had a defective check valve in the vacuum tank. 

The trunk release units on the '63-& '64 were a different style which had the release pull knob connected to a piston in a cylinder which created its own vacuum each time it was pulled, no leak down problems with this unit. I don't know why Buick changed to engine-supplied vacuum in 1965. Seems like this system required more parts and had more opportunities for malfunction. I got mine to work properly now so I'm happy.

If you think about it, the 63 / 64 plunger actually required you to put forth some effort. On the other hand, the 65 requires just a push of a button.  Technological improvements.  My '90 Riviera has an electronic release as well as an electronic pull down so you just have to get the trunk lid close then it will close itself.  Advances in helping us get more lazy and less independent.

2 hours ago, 48Super said:

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that the trunk release should hold the vacuum for a reasonable length of time. I think mine just had a defective check valve in the vacuum tank. 

The trunk release units on the '63-& '64 were a different style which had the release pull knob connected to a piston in a cylinder which created its own vacuum each time it was pulled, no leak down problems with this unit. I don't know why Buick changed to engine-supplied vacuum in 1965. Seems like this system required more parts and had more opportunities for malfunction. I got mine to work properly now so I'm happy.

The remote control in the `65 glovebox takes up much less space than the plunger in the `63-`64 models.

Tom Mooney

But if you go buy a car that had sat for 30 years with no keys and you need to make sure there is not a body in the trunk, the 63-64 version is the way to go.

No body, but a ton of Christmas decorations were in the trunk.

IIRC, you can operate these trunk releases with lung-generated vacuum.

The remote truck release in my 65 is vacuum operated. You pull a handle in the glove. Sounds like the 63-64  model year. Always thought it was factory installed , now I  have doubts. Would like to see the button type described above if anyone has a picture.

Here is a picture of the trunk release system parts from a 1965 Riviera. The vacuum tank was located on the passenger side lower firewall where it angles back towards the floorpan. The Accessories Section of the '65 shop manual will show you how everything was installed.

Trunk Release.jpg