Ideas for classics that accommodate young drivers

Guest Turismo

Guest BillP

"I've restored a couple 356 Porsches(VW drivetrain) and I had to force myself to drive them 300 miles.  And I mean force myself as they were miserable little pricks.  Now a 59' Cadillac and I'll drive all day.   Cars fit your personallity I guess."  

Now that hits the nail on the head. I drove my latest 356 from NE Ohio to San Diego and it was absolutely delightful. Smooth running and steady at 80 or 85; spacious interior with soft yet supportive seats (I'm 6'0". 200 lbs). Fits my personality perfectly.

Yours might have been a better experience if it had had the original Porsche drive train.

Another car you might consider even though it is a little newer than you first mentioned is a Buick Reatta.  You can get a really nice one for very little money, they are modern but still antique and they have a great following including an area here on the forum dedicated to them with very helpful owners.

Bob 

7 hours ago, Turismo said:
7 hours ago, Turismo said:

I guess I always thought that the only decent 90s cars were those top of the line supercars like the Ferraris and McClaren. There are some good options from this date line, more specifically the Camaros. I also perceived the 90s to be the "Fall of Self-service" with cars becoming more and more complex. Would these still be within the range of a DIY owner? 

Haven't met anyone yet that was borne with all the knowledge, skills and materials needed to DIY detail a car, much less restore and maintain one. Some things you know how to do, some things you learn how to do, some things you have done. The 90's cars aren't out of the range of the DIY owner, quite the opposite a drivability issue in a 96 OBD 2 car is easier to trouble shoot than the same issue in an 86 OBD 1 car.

Guest Turismo
3 hours ago, Janousek said:

90's GM stuff was pretty good.  I think they all were but the supercars your talking about probably wouldn't be.  I'm sure the parts are super cheap and readilly available for a McClaren or Ferrari.  90's stuff isn't cool yet to me and It might never be since I drove them as transportation.   

I'd say screw the mileage and get something that pulls you in.  I used to drive a 72' chevelle with a 307 back and forth to work for a couple years in the early 2000's.   It got 20 mpg gallon and I beat it like a red headed stepchild.   You can get decent deals right now on 50's sedans.  Your looking at 12-15 mpg but the fun is priceless.   I've restored a couple 356 Porsches(VW drivetrain) and I had to force myself to drive them 300 miles.  And I mean force myself as they were miserable little pricks.  Now a 59' Cadillac and I'll drive all day.   Cars fit your personallity I guess.  

Your budget is catered better to a 50/60's sedan and for the right deal maybe a coupe.   Straight eight Buicks are great cars especially if you get a manual transmission.  You will get good help here and if you want to get noticed the 50's stuff does it.    

I like cars from this era a lot but I also like my music when I drive. is there any way to fix in a cassette player that wouldn't look super out of place? My tapes are important but if nothing can be done, so be it. I recall this company that made radios that fit into vintage cars, but all their cassette models have been discontinued <_<

1 hour ago, Bob Hill said:

Another car you might consider even though it is a little newer than you first mentioned is a Buick Reatta.  You can get a really nice one for very little money, they are modern but still antique and they have a great following including an area here on the forum dedicated to them with very helpful owners.

I'm sure these are very reliable, but I have to say I'm not feeling the design at all. It's weird to think these are even considered ANTIQUE. However like you said, a car with a big following on this forum and otherwise would be really helpful. 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Found this on the local craigslist in Upstate NY.  Listed for 5G

Very beautiful car. What model? 

Maybe Im biased but I think full size cars from the 60's and 70's are a good value. Nobody wants the big boat sedans so theyre cheap and alot of them were made so parts are pretty easy to get. I guess theyre not good on gas which was one of the factors in the post but you get a lot of car for your dollar. You could get A Body GM cars with a 6, so maybe something like that would be good. A Body's are Malibu's, Cutlass's, Skylark's and stuff like that. Maybe not many left with a 6 but I bet theyre out there and it would be real neat to finally see one that doesnt have a v8.

Cassette player????   I grew up in the cassette era and they stunk back then.   You used to see cassettes thrown along side the road with the ribbon all strung out.  I haven't seen that in a couple decades.  

Your 16 so your phone or ipod or whatever should be controlling your music.  Old car radio places gut the existing old radios and put modern guts in the and are ipod capable.  For me the idea of driving an old car is clearing your mind and thinking about whats next.  None of our stuff has radios.  

BillP,   these 356's are real cars with Porsche drivetrains.  You know VW's with swaybars.  Thats my feeling of a Porsche and my opinion after being treated like a piece of human waste by the most arrogant/condescending car people I've ever met.  This was at a Porsche Parade.   I'm not trying to knock VW's either as they are neat and owners are usually very humble/fun people.   I'm block sanding louvered hoods today and you gave me a great memory thinking about that Porsche Parade.  I can't wait to mention it to the wife when she gets home as that will be a good laugh as she was treated the same.  

Guest Turismo
2 minutes ago, Janousek said:

Cassette player????   I grew up in the cassette era and they stunk back then.   You used to see cassettes thrown along side the road with the ribbon all strung out.  I haven't seen that in a couple decades.  

Your 16 so your phone or ipod or whatever should be controlling your music.  Old car radio places gut the existing old radios and put modern guts in the and are ipod capable.  For me the idea of driving an old car is clearing your mind and thinking about whats next.  None of our stuff has radios.  

Welp, I guess these will only be used for my boombox--don't ask why I have one. I just always loved the hands-on feel of the music and bringing my boombox to parties is a blast. It just appeals to me. The same can be said for a lot of hobbies really, no one is forcing us to drive vintage cars, it's by choice. Though I'll probably just follow your advice in regards to a car because at this point, cassette car stereos are like the dinosaurs.

Any old car radio can be fitted to accept an iPod input, it is just a line level input, typically to the volume control area. Cord hangs behind dash for clean look,

Cassettes were way better than 8-tracks for longevity. But now the rubber drive wheels/belts in both are aging and difficult to find replacements.

That Corvair convertible is a 1966 or 1967. It is debadged, so it could be a Monza or Corsa model. I did not read the ad to find out more. But, shop where you are on the less rust coast rather than inquiring about a New York car. 

I had to laugh as I read through the posts that are, somehow, intended to aid in making a decision. The only constant that I see is that there is absolutely no consensus. You will get none here, and frankly that is one of the beautiful things about our hobby, and this group. Variety is what makes this worthwhile and the reason that real car people, no matter how old we are, are always learning. The answer can only be that there is no right answer. Personally I think that you should pay heed to those who indicate that what should serve you best is something that you can fall in love with. You've got plenty of help here once you have found the car that "floats your boat," but only you can answer the question of what's right for you.  

• Like 2

Guest Turismo
1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I had to laugh as I read through the posts that are, somehow, intended to aid in making a decision. The only constant that I see is that there is absolutely no consensus. You will get none here, and frankly that is one of the beautiful things about our hobby, and this group. Variety is what makes this worthwhile and the reason that real car people, no matter how old we are, are always learning. The answer can only be that there is no right answer. Personally I think that you should pay heed to those who indicate that what should serve you best is something that you can fall in love with. You've got plenty of help here once you have found the car that "floats your boat," but only you can answer the question of what's right for you.  

This thread did give me a direction of where to look. With a hobby that seems as convoluted as this one (obviously you would say otherwise), I wanted some guidance instead of making the impulsive and naive decisions. Buying a classic is a big commitment and I wanted ideas for a starter. Later on, I'll probably just follow my suitings instead of advice. Thank you  for your input!

Guess it would help to know what your idea of a fun car is. For me one has never been enough (though went for a year with just the 88 Reatta and did fine, was totally reliable.).

With one exception (bought the Jeep new), all of the cars ever bought for my use  were less than $10k including the Merc SLK I bought a month ago (wanted a retractible & have always liked a DOHC 6 - first car was one). I also prefer two seaters except for my tow car. Might mention that in the late 80s GM made three two seaters besides the Corvette - Fiero, Reatta, and Allante. Also what you need and how to tune a GM pre-OBD-II computer car (ALDL) is all available on line. See Moates.net.

So what do you want ? Two or four seats ? Manual or automagic transmission ? 4, 6, 8, or ? Convertible or coupe ? What color ? Autocross, rally, or just cruising ? Long distance capable ? (have been known to drive 1,000 miles in a day, pulling a trailer even. Last year was most recent). MPG a factor ? Most of my cars were bought by researching and then deciding exactly what I wanted and what for.

Just a thought but one of my favorites was a '68 FIAT 124 Spyder that had over 100k miles when I bought it  and almost 200k when I sold it for the same amount. Really fun car and dirt cheap these daze. Did replace the stock steering wheel with one from an X1/9.flat.jpg

Guest Turismo
33 minutes ago, padgett said:

Guess it would help to know what your idea of a fun car is. For me one has never been enough (though went for a year with just the 88 Reatta and did fine, was totally reliable.).

With one exception (bought the Jeep new), all of the cars ever bought for my use  were less than $10k including the Merc SLK I bought a month ago (wanted a retractible & have always liked a DOHC 6 - first car was one). I also prefer two seaters except for my tow car. Might mention that in the late 80s GM made three two seaters besides the Corvette - Fiero, Reatta, and Allante. Also what you need and how to tune a GM pre-OBD-II computer car (ALDL) is all available on line. See Moates.net.

So what do you want ? Two or four seats ? Manual or automagic transmission ? 4, 6, 8, or ? Convertible or coupe ? What color ? Autocross, rally, or just cruising ? Long distance capable ? (have been known to drive 1,000 miles in a day, pulling a trailer even. Last year was most recent). MPG a factor ? Most of my cars were bought by researching and then deciding exactly what I wanted and what for.

Just a thought but one of my favorites was a '68 FIAT 124 Spyder that had over 100k miles when I bought it  and almost 200k when I sold it for the same amount. Really fun car and dirt cheap these daze. Did replace the stock steering wheel with one from an X1/9.flat.jpg

My dream car was always the 1964 Impala, first originating from my love in rap. This car doesn't have the best MPG but it's admirable qualities make up for it, in my opinion.  I'm into those long, sleek four seaters, like the Dodge Polara, Lincoln Continental, Cadillac, etc. GM muscle is cool, but casual four seaters are my favorite. At the same time, I'm not exactly sure how reliable these things would be as a daily. One that can go long distance would be cool for road trips and such. As for the top, a convertible would just be a liability and a waste. Weather here isn't pleasant, oftentimes. 

Guest BillP

Sounds great.

Look for your dream car, and buy the best one you can afford.

Get books and manuals for it, join the club, learn how to take care of it. Make it safe and reliable.

Most importantly, DRIVE it and enjoy it.

Keep us updated.

One good takeaway, would be to learn that there were plenty of low cost American economy vehicles made in the 60s and 70s, and that these make good beginner collector cars because they are simple, economical, and parts are readily available. They are simple and easy to work on compared to newer or larger cars with more luxury features.

Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant and Barracuda, Ford Maverick, Mercury Comet, Buick Special, Pontiac Ventura, Chevy Nova, AMC Rambler Gremlin and Concorde all fall into this category. Although it might be better to stick with Ford, Chev, Dodge or Plymouth in the interest of parts availability.

Millions of these cars were made and they turn up in good condition all the time. Just last week I saw a 1975 Dodge Dart sedan, 318V8 and auto, with only 45000 miles on it, offered for $2500. An excellent buy, I was tempted myself. A boring car but a good one to start on. Cars like that turn up pretty regularly. If you scan the local ads I can practically guarantee you will find a good car within a month or 2.

As far a reliability goes they were dead reliable when new and can be again if kept in good condition. Best is to buy a good low mileage example and expect to do a lot of minor repairs. For example all the rubber hoses  under the hood can be mummified, hardened and cracked or turned to mush by exposure to oil and gas. This means rad hoses, heater hoses, vacuum hose, fuel lines. Don't overlook fan belts. If they are cracked, hardened or bulgy replace them and save yourself a breakdown on the road. Tires, brakes, emergency brake cables, many things may be due for replacement.

Also a tune up, oil change, and change of other fluids like trans fluid, rear diff, and even brake fluid may be called for.

This can add up but if the maintenance is done your old car can be practically as reliable as when it was new.

My daily driver right out of High School Circa Winter of 1993 was a 68 Pontiac Strato Chief.  The Canadian version of Pontiac's big 4 door Catalina complete with Chevy 6 and Powerglide.  Never had a problem with it running and I went all over in it,  including all winter a below zero weather and snow. 

Here is another North East Nugget for any new be collectors in the area.  This one is near Scranton PA.  a 1963 Falcon Rag Top with a negotiable asking price of $5000

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/6134299255.html

00D0D_fi4WZfSzsko_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

auburnseeker,

That Falcon convertible looks almost "too good to be true"; however, the seller did include the open-to-interpretation caveat: "Starts and runs, needs some work - LOTS of potential."   "Potential", like "beauty" is often in the eye of the beholder, and LOTS of potential often requires the infusion of LOTS of $$$.  That said, the car certainly looks good in the photos, and it would be nice for a member in the area to take a look at it, letting us know what the reality of the "potential" is.:D  Isn't Scranton in the "rust belt" ... car-wise, I mean?

Cheers,

Grog

Just a thought but cars of the 50's and 60's were designed to run on leaded gas. Particularly with a compression above 9:1, unleaded gas is hard on the stock heads. By the mid-70s most cars had hardened exhaust seats and the problem has now mostly been forgotten. Every time I fill the Judge it gets a few additives first.

Guest Turismo
1 minute ago, padgett said:

Just a thought but cars of the 50's and 60's were designed to run on leaded gas. Particularly with a compression above 9:1, unleaded gas is hard on the stock heads. By the mid-70s most cars had hardened exhaust seats and the problem has now mostly been forgotten. Every time I fill the Judge it gets a few additives first.

isn't leaded gas a hazard? I'm hearing all kinds of things about how the switch to unleaded gas was one of the best decisions the automobile industry could have made. And what do you mean by additives?

Anything a car expels,  even water vapor is deemed in the same class as spent Plutonium to the Environazis who would prefer we all walked to work and tried not to breath to much while doing so to keep the CO2 output down,  all while traveling to their next meeting on how to save the world through taxation in their private jet.   

Sorry I went off on a tangent there. 

Focus,  back to old cars. 

A early 60's Impala or belair should be easy to find on the west Coast especially with a 6 banger and PG.  Should be reasonable on gas,  but not cheap. 

Check into a Full size mid 60's Buick Pontiac or probably even cheaper Olds as well.  Even late 60's Fords seem to be worth little money,  so a good buy could be had. 

As suggested,  find a survivor type car,  that has been well taken care of.  You will be so much further ahead. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turismo said:

My dream car was always the 1964 Impala, first originating from my love in rap. This car doesn't have the best MPG but it's admirable qualities make up for it, in my opinion.  I'm into those long, sleek four seaters, like the Dodge Polara, Lincoln Continental, Cadillac, etc. GM muscle is cool, but casual four seaters are my favorite. 

If you are speaking of 4 door sedans (my personal favorite for having friends ride with too) you're in luck.

Everybody and their dogs are wanting, I shudder to use the term because it makes me ill but...... BUBBLE TOPS, aka two door hard tops, so 4 door sedans can be had for a LOT less money....... :D

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Look for the 4 door hardtops as well.  They give you slightly sleeker styling than the post with just as many doors for fun.  They don't seem to have really caught on either.  Full size Mercury Cars in the Mid 60's Seem to be dead as well price wise so another possible good buy.  Pretty much any 60's 4 door Could be had pretty reasonable except maybe a Lincoln or Caddy,  but even those once you crest 1965 Seem to really drop price wise. 

Welcome Turismo,

You will find this forum a great source of info. I live in McMinnville, Or. There is a very strong Corvair presence in our state, parts are readily available from Corvair Underground in my town as well as Clark's Corvair online, and they are very affordable. Did you know the Corvair Monza Spyder was the earliest version of the American Muscle Car? It has a very interesting history and some people love them, and some people hate them. I think the later models like the one pictured earlier are very attractive. Another way to stretch your money is to consider a 4 door auto as many have suggested. 

I suggest you browse Hemmings and eBay to see what cars speak to you. If you are on Facebook, there are a ton of car groups. Just search "Corvair" or "Classic Car" or whatever model you like and find groups and pages. It's really great to see someone your age interested in this hobby. My father was big into cars, and that is how I got involved. His favorites were the Corvairs and the flathead V8 Fords. 

Here is a big Olds Boat 1966 from the NYC area.  Says original owner and Low Mileage.  Can't beat the price at $2500.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6134948506.html

Now I know all these are in the East and you are on the opposite coast,  but if I can come up with these here,  you should have no problem finding even better cars on your coast as so many in the east disintegrated years ago. 

Another 4 door Olds.  The interior looks quite nice on this one and it looks pretty stock except the rims and floor shifter.  

This one comes in at $5900 

Notice the nice interior and what appears to be a very nice original steering wheel which usually cracked bad in the sun,  meaning this car was probably garaged for much of it's life.

Probably not real easy on gas with the 394,  but plenty of get up and go. 

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/6123380566.html

00w0w_dPA0XIep5cF_600x450.jpg00l0l_7ef8ZMsMCnO_600x450.jpg00q0q_25CzgsqMu7h_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

If you want something not so stock (ok don't kick me off here) I stumbled across this one.  Not quite a low rider but an early Impala 4 door hardtop.  for $6000 in "daily driver" status as the seller calls it.  The rims could be changed but that interior really needs to go.  

I'm not even looking for these,  they are just coming up in my nightly search of old cars in a 200 mile radius of me.  

Seems you should have no problem finding stuff on the west coast even better. 

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/6100830845.html

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

If you want something not so stock (ok don't kick me off here) I stumbled across this one.  Not quite a low rider but an early Impala 4 door hardtop.  for $6000 in "daily driver" status as the seller calls it.  The rims could be changed but that interior really needs to go.  

I'm not even looking for these,  they are just coming up in my nightly search of old cars in a 200 mile radius of me.  

I did a quick search on Portland Craigslist. I didn't see anything as good as what you are finding. Nice cars!

Remember the best cars sell right away,  so just imagine what the really good deals looked like.   Most of these have been for sale for a little while.  When you get ready,  you need to act quickly if you find one that really speaks to you.  Check prices of similar ones selling/ sold.  You will know if it's some kind of deal and how fast you need to act.  Be wiling to travel just a little as well.  The search I did was a couple hundred miles around Portland I believe . 

I saw lots of VW's under 5,000.  I tried to keep the cars right around 5,000 or less figuring most people can swing something up to that range.  Lots more if you go higher.  

Getting real late here in the East.  Time to turn in. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Guest Turismo
1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

You're finding some cool rides. This one definitely looks like one of those 'West Coast Classics'. Gives me a lowrider vibe. I know the '62 Impala was a cool one, but the '60 Impala, my god I get a lot of flak for this one. Everyone thinks the rear looks incredibly cheesy, but I love it. These aren't exactly known to be cheap, either!

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Welcome Turismo,

You will find this forum a great source of info. I live in McMinnville, Or. There is a very strong Corvair presence in our state, parts are readily available from Corvair Underground in my town as well as Clark's Corvair online, and they are very affordable. Did you know the Corvair Monza Spyder was the earliest version of the American Muscle Car? It has a very interesting history and some people love them, and some people hate them. I think the later models like the one pictured earlier are very attractive. Another way to stretch your money is to consider a 4 door auto as many have suggested. 

I suggest you browse Hemmings and eBay to see what cars speak to you. If you are on Facebook, there are a ton of car groups. Just search "Corvair" or "Classic Car" or whatever model you like and find groups and pages. It's really great to see someone your age interested in this hobby. My father was big into cars, and that is how I got involved. His favorites were the Corvairs and the flathead V8 Fords. 

Thanks for the introduction! Yep, I even recall from past car shows there were a lot of Corvairs, some tricked out, some completely factory. Too bad I'll be kinda off the grid over the summer, else I'd be going to more drive-ins. 

I had always heard that two-seaters are generally more fuel efficient. This makes sense because they'd be more compact, no? Not that I wouldn't still be open for a four-seater, just been curious!