Ideas for classics that accommodate young drivers

Guest Turismo

Guest Turismo

Hey all,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to this forum. As a youngster that has a major interest in automotive repair and vintage vehicles, it seems like receiving guidance in the modern world is rather difficult. I'm 16, eligible to drive in my state, and have thought about starting out with a simple classic to have a little kickstart to the hobby. Of course, as I get older I would like to deal with more vehicles and more interesting and complex ones, but things have to start from humble beginnings :D

Anyways, can anyone suggest any models, specifically from the late 1950's-mid 80's that handle well, are easy to work on, are fuel efficient, and easy enough for a youngin like me to handle? Thanks, in advance.

Guest Turismo
Just now, capngrog said:

Air-cooled VW.

Cheers,

Grog

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard that old Volkswagen beetles are very reliable. Which era would you say was Volkswagen's strongest time?

Guest Turismo
16 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

You are lucky to be on the West coast so rust isn't a big problem, buy the best running rust free vehicle you can find. Be sure you like the looks of it, nothing worse than pouring time and money into something ugly. Bob

Actually, where I live in particular it might be. Oregon gets a lot of rain. I've thought about the presence of rust and know how to check for it.

1 hour ago, Turismo said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard that old Volkswagen beetles are very reliable. Which era would you say was Volkswagen's strongest time?

1937-1945 :lol:

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Guest Turismo
30 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

1937-1945 :lol:

Bleh, no cassette player, pathetic neanderthals they were :angry:   (yes, I'm well aware audio cassettes were not invented until the early 60's, hehehe)

3 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Yes I enjoyed owning a '74 Beetle. It would do 85 on the freeway, stable too at that speed even though a light vehicle, and good for around town too. They get good gas mileage and are practical for everyday use, like commuting to work. Just not long distance commuting.

Luckily I live in an area where long distance driving really isn't really that much of a necessity. How was the car's craftsmanship? Was the build quality alright? From what I've read and seen, the automobile industry kinda lost its touch, so to speak, in the 70's. 

Edited by Turismo (see edit history)

If you wanted to stay American a 1960 Falcon or Valiant.  Very easy to work on, reliable maybe not as economical as the VW but probably warmer if you live in the snow belt.

Our weather west of the mountains isn't the problem you might think. The rust that people in many other parts of the country talk about is structural in nature and the result of salted roads. UV damage, the constant humidity and temperature swings which cause a car to sweat are not generally a problem. In many other parts of the country these conditions can just eat up a paint job or an interior. So be thankful that you live where you do. Unless of course you live at the ocean. In that case you might have to start your search forty or fifty miles inland. Any community in our world has any number of 40+ year old, basically rust free, cars and trucks in regular service. There is really no need to look any farther then Craigslist or your local nickel want ads to find something that suites you. You might also look into the car corral at an old car swap meet. The spring meet in Portland is a good one, unfortunately it was two months ago. I know that most young people don't have the snobbish aversion to four door cars. So if you find a four door suitable, they are usually only a fraction of the price of a two door car. It would be nice to find a garage kept old person's car, that has been well maintained, but it's not critical. Try to find a drivable car that you can enjoy, and try to avoid the temptation to start to tear it apart, so it can't be driven. If it needs cosmetic work do it a section at a time. That way you won't become overwhelmed by the process.

I wish someone had shared some of this simple outline with me when I started. It would have made life a lot simpler. If you find a car that your not sure of, it's probably not going to be the one for you. But if you find a car that you are not too sure of you can check back for help, or you can find someone in a local club who has some special knowledge of what you are looking at. Good luck, interested in seeing what you find.-Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turismo said:

...Anyways, can anyone suggest any models, specifically from the late 1950's-mid 80's that handle well, are easy to work on, are fuel efficient, and easy enough for a youngin like me to handle? Thanks, in advance.

Turismo, do you want an economy car because

you are planning to drive it every day?  Most

American cars from the 1950's to the 1970's

aren't as economical as later cars, but the smallest

ones are quite fuel-efficient.

Ford Mustangs from the 1960's might fit your need,

as they were produced in very large numbers and

are easily found today.  Parts are easily obtained.

Prices are reasonable too if you avoid the high-performance models.

Chevrolet had its small "Chevy II," in the mid-1960's, and it

became the Chevrolet Nova, and those are good possibilities. 

And with any antique car, check price guides, because

asking prices (especially from dealers) may be 50% to 100%

above what you should pay!  I much prefer buying from a

private party, especially an honest and helpful fellow

hobbyist.

If you are driving a car only occasionally for fun,

economy isn't as important, and you'll have more

cars to choose from.  Cars from the 1980's are more

economical, but they are more complex for a 

do-it-yourselfer.

Welcome to the hobby--you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest BillP

VW is a good choice, as is Falcon, Chevy Nova, MGB, although those are all getting long in the tooth and nice ones could be expensive. Prowl craigslist and your local Penny Saver, if they have such a thing anymore. Ask people in your circle, like the barber shop, bowling alley, church or wherever you hang out. Tell them you're looking for an old car in fairly nice condition. Some one may have a spinster aunt with a gem in her garage.

If I can advise further, steer clear of anything that has been modified. The factory engineers knew what they were doing, and amateur changes usually result disappointment. By the same token, resist the temptation to change something yourself, for the sake of "improvement". The car lasted this long in its original state, get used to it, enjoy motoring as it was or buy something different. There are millions of cars out there.

9 hours ago, Turismo said:

The old air-cooled Beetles were very reliable, easy to work on and fun to drive.  Although I'm no expert, the best "Bugs" were those produced between 1962 and 1974 (just my opinion).  The newer the model, the easier it is to get parts; however, parts for most any of the air-cooled VW "Bugs" are readily available and relatively inexpensive.  In 1969, VW replaced the old 'swing-axle' rear suspension with a true IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), making the car handle a bit better.  Personally, I would not choose an air-cooled "Super Beetle", but that's just a personal bias, based on limited logic:D.  The downside of the air-cooled VW Bugs is that the heaters are inadequate, and the factory's attempt at airconditioning was a wasted effort ... in my opinion.

I'm with Tinindian and mike 6024 in that I also like the early Ford Falcons/Mercury Comets.  Of course, as John S says, an early Ford Mustang would be great, but they are becoming hard to find and accordingly expensive.  I'm a huge fan of the early Chevy IIs and Novas; however, it is almost impossible to find an "unmolested" (unmodified) example at a reasonable price.

I think the best advice I could give would echo BillP's advice above.  Look around, find something YOU like, then seek advice from as many sources as you can.

Please keep us up to date on your quest.

Cheers,

Grog

Or an early 60's Plymouth Valiant with slant six (indestructible) and typewriter gear selector. 63s got boxy but the earlier ones  had interesting styling including a fake spare & quad headlamps.

5facf82f3dd445f7a6642a7ae7ce838f.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turismo said:

Anyways, can anyone suggest any models, specifically from the late 1950's-mid 80's that handle well, are easy to work on, are fuel efficient, and easy enough for a youngin like me to handle? Thanks, in advance.

I think Capngrog suggesting the VW Beetle is excellent advice (assuming you decide you like VWs, that is).  Your main practical concerns on any old car purchase is rust, parts availability and serviceability, I.E that it is not so obscure that no one can work on it or that it will not function for your driving. 

I would expand on Capngrog's VW notes and also point out that from 1967 and later you got a 12 Volt electrical system (rather than the earlier 6V) and a dual master cylinder braking system (rather than the earlier single master cylinder).  These are both upgrades that will make the car safer and better and his mention of the 1969 rear axle improvement is also good to know.  Note that collectors have already been interested in earlier models so I would suggest target 1969-74 models if possible for better mechanicals and likely better prices.  This is a good general rule on all cars of this era, another rule of thumb is a car with a solid body and paint is always the one to get, fixing mechanicals is far easier and cheaper than paint and bodywork. 

That said note that Beetles were indeed well built when new but are quite utilitarian by modern standards.  Heaters and defrosters are legendarily inadequate and rust is always a concern--look inside the hood (trunk?) floors and engine compartment for a solid example.  Parts availability is excellent.  NOTE most had manual transmissions so if you really want an automatic you might broaden into looking at American cars of the 1960s and 70s.  1967 and later gets the dual master cylinder and a few safety features, watch the rust, good luck, Todd C     

I'm a VW fan and agree that air cooled VWS are cool, a big advantage is that all parts are available the disadvantage is you will need them. They did require a lot of service and repair compared to new cars, but were built in such a way that it was easy and cheap to do. For example they have NO oil filter so they need an oil change every 2000 miles, but only take a quart and a half of oil.

My first choice would be a Chrysler A body car. This includes Plymouth Valiant and Barracuda, and Dodge Lancer and  Dart 1960 - 1975. Very simple reliable durable cars with slant six and 318 V8 engines that get good gas  mileage compared to other cars of their times although not as good as the latest cars.

With their torsion bar front suspension they were one of the best handling American cars of their time.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

My first choice would be a Chrysler A body car. This includes Plymouth Valiant and Barracuda, and Dodge Lancer and  Dart 1960 - 1975. Very simple reliable durable cars with slant six and 318 V8 engines that get good gas  mileage compared to other cars of their times although not as good as the latest cars.

Also a good choice I almost mentioned, I would again suggest the later 1967-75 models.  A 1970s Ford Maverick would be another possible Domestic for the same reasons, easy and economical.  Also both usually had automatics and were roomier and more comfortable than the VW, and probably better for expressway driving too.    

Don't listen to advice. I never do. Old cars are a completely irrational hobby. Cars I have bought using logic and sound decision making were generally disappointments.

Look for the car that gets your heart pounding and makes you short of breath when you think someone might buy it first.

Try to find this book on Ebay or Addall  https://www.g-w.com/modern-automotive-technology-2014

G_W books are good for any field. The basics remain the same.

Study the old technologies as well.

Be really careful in Oregon. I understand the state is populated with aging Hippy's. They will talk you into a flowered VW or short school bus, probably have already.

Fully understand the word vicarious.

Buy what looks good to you and see how it goes. You never have to marry a car. If it doesn't meet your expectations sell it. You should make a little money and try again.

Don't focus on one marque all your life. It is a sure way to miss out on a lot of nice cars.

Think safe. Consider a pick up truck. That way there will only be two or three fertile young minds thinking up stuff. Bigger cars carry more and that can be trouble.

And think about this hard. Life is too important to take seriously, helps you avoid expectations.

Bernie

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

The Dodge Dart ideas are the best. Reliable, good driving capabilities, fairly good mileage, easy to maintain, easy to find parts.

With their torsion bar front suspension they were one of the best handling American cars of their time.

These are the cars that I always suggest as well.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

This is my 66 beetle.   The Beetle is a fun car and cheap compared to most cars.   They are very easy to maintain and very dependable.  Parts are also readily available and cheap. We take this to a lot of cruise ins and it always draws a crowd of all ages.

Bob

66beetle.jpg

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Stay with the carbureted VWs.  The fuel injected ones, like my lady friend's 1969 Type 3 squareback, have 20 linear feet of fuel hose (supply + return) in perhaps 15 different sections and 34 hose clamps.  You may be able to discern how I know this....

OK, really big presence of Corvair people/clubs in Oregon. Economical. Viton o-rings solved the oil leak problems of the OEM neoprene. Parts readily available. Sometimes in mass quantities of free from collectors downsizing. One of the specialty Corvair vendors is right there in Oregon. Drive over and get the parts. Other specialty suppliers are just an internet order away. Many mechanical parts interchange with the other GM cars of the time. Dependable, and able to stand up to youthful driving! Ask my daughter....:D

Even here in the rusty east there are people who still only drive Corvairs, as that is the only car they own. I rarely see Mustangs of that era in daily use.

Check out corvaircenterforum.com

Oh, and we have heaters that work! Those stories of no heat are from the oil leaking days, there was heat, just with the added oil buring smoke smell!;) So people ran the heat with the windows open. As I said, that problem is no longer with us!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was going to say any of the Rambler I6 OHV cars as well. The 232 and 258 motors are nearly bullet proof, generally found in affordable cars, drivetrain parts are easy to come buy and it's easy to work on. You'd want to find a nice body that is ready to go, but a fairly low mile 4 door is cheap.

Also, check out craigslist and go to autos. Rather than looking for a specific make/model, just type in the year, and put your budget cap (plus a little bit if you want to negotiate down). You'll be amazed by the great vehicles that are out there, often of names you may not have heard of before. If folks aren't looking for them, they aren't worth as much for collector value, but that doesn't mean they aren't attractive, cool, great drivers, or great values! Plus, showing up with something other than a Mustang is quite a bit of fun and you'll probably meet more people which interesting stories.

Both the bug and the 'vair (and the Fiero) do not need AC in hot weather. However a FIAT 124 spyder is also a cool running and reliable car (if you clean the oil slinger on the front of the crank and get the oil pressure back). Can also replace most of the electrics with Delco.

Guest Turismo

Damn, I didn't expect this much feedback on this. And I couldn't reply to it quick enough because apparently, this board has a daily posting limit? Bogus!

19 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Related image

Here is a Ford Falcon. Maybe it is a 1960, not sure. IF you could find one not rusted out, abused, and etc. I really like the styling. The Mercury Comet is similar. My grandmother bought a Comet new and I rode in it as a child. think it may have been a 1962? it was a white 2-door.

Image result for 1962 mercury comet

That is a beautiful car and the '60 Falcon definitely seems fuel efficient enough for me. Though if I were to pick from the two suggestions that Tinindian gave me, I'd go with the Valiant.

18 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I wish someone had shared some of this simple outline with me when I started. It would have made life a lot simpler. If you find a car that your not sure of, it's probably not going to be the one for you. But if you find a car that you are not too sure of you can check back for help, or you can find someone in a local club who has some special knowledge of what you are looking at. Good luck, interested in seeing what you find.-Bill

I'd probably be too afraid to crank it open too soon anyway, despite the fact that I want to start taking the time to learn repairs and modifications. To add on what you said about clubs, there seem to be a frequent amount in the Portland area. Hell, a club meets occasionally in a lot a couple miles away from where I live. I've been to a few other shows that I vaguely remember. There's also this cool dealership in Southeast Portland, but theirs are generally really expensive anyways.

15 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Turismo, do you want an economy car because

you are planning to drive it every day?  Most

American cars from the 1950's to the 1970's

aren't as economical as later cars, but the smallest

ones are quite fuel-efficient.

Ford Mustangs from the 1960's might fit your need,

as they were produced in very large numbers and

are easily found today.  Parts are easily obtained.

Prices are reasonable too if you avoid the high-performance models.

Chevrolet had its small "Chevy II," in the mid-1960's, and it

became the Chevrolet Nova, and those are good possibilities. 

And with any antique car, check price guides, because

asking prices (especially from dealers) may be 50% to 100%

above what you should pay!  I much prefer buying from a

private party, especially an honest and helpful fellow

hobbyist.

If you are driving a car only occasionally for fun,

economy isn't as important, and you'll have more

cars to choose from.  Cars from the 1980's are more

economical, but they are more complex for a 

do-it-yourselfer.

Welcome to the hobby--you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment!

I wish to have a classic daily driver, yes (you won't believe the criticism I get for this!). Though while I'm young and still living with my parents I wouldn't be doing THAT MUCH driving anyways, having one that won't break the bank and will shut that damn hippy Prius driver up (He loves to nitpick my fascination in vintage cars because, "oohhh, bad for the environment, not gas efficient, ugly"). In response to the suggestion of a Mustang--I don't see the prospect of that in the near future. These are too expensive for us.

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Don't listen to advice. I never do. Old cars are a completely irrational hobby. Cars I have bought using logic and sound decision making were generally disappointments.

Look for the car that gets your heart pounding and makes you short of breath when you think someone might buy it first.

Try to find this book on Ebay or Addall  https://www.g-w.com/modern-automotive-technology-2014

G_W books are good for any field. The basics remain the same.

Study the old technologies as well.

Be really careful in Oregon. I understand the state is populated with aging Hippy's. They will talk you into a flowered VW or short school bus, probably have already.

Fully understand the word vicarious.

Buy what looks good to you and see how it goes. You never have to marry a car. If it doesn't meet your expectations sell it. You should make a little money and try again.

Don't focus on one marque all your life. It is a sure way to miss out on a lot of nice cars.

Think safe. Consider a pick up truck. That way there will only be two or three fertile young minds thinking up stuff. Bigger cars carry more and that can be trouble.

And think about this hard. Life is too important to take seriously, helps you avoid expectations.

Bernie

I was thinking, "boy, he really hit the nail on the head" until I saw that you said AGING hippies. No sirree, the hippies/hipsters/burnouts here are obsessed with Subaru, Prius, all of that environmentalist stuff. Your suggestion for a pickup truck isn't too terrible, been attracted to 70's trucks for a while.

9 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Go Jeep, CJ-5 or CJ-7, you can even get one with an AMC 258 six.

Heard of Jeeps' reliability. Thought about these in these as well.

9 hours ago, Bob Hill said:

This is my 66 beetle.   The Beetle is a fun car and cheap compared to most cars.   They are very easy to maintain and very dependable.  Parts are also readily available and cheap. We take this to a lot of cruise ins and it always draws a crowd of all ages.

Bob

66beetle.jpg

Beautiful VW. Seems like a durable and dependable vehicle too.

Guest Turismo
7 hours ago, denis23 said:

How about this? Very good choice for my opinion.

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

let me guess, 1970 BMW 2002?

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Both the bug and the 'vair (and the Fiero) do not need AC in hot weather. However a FIAT 124 spyder is also a cool running and reliable car (if you clean the oil slinger on the front of the crank and get the oil pressure back). Can also replace most of the electrics with Delco.

Good to know. Cold weather is certainly a bit of a problem here and I've heard of the lack of dependability with A/C systems in some of these vehicles.

Thanks for all the input, guys! All of it is being noted! :)

Guest Turismo
4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I never heard of a "daily posting limit" on our forum,

so feel free to contribute often.

You'll see contributors here from America, Canada,

Australia, New Zealand, and at least a few countries

in Europe.

odd, because yesterday I made about 10 posts and was not allowed to make any contributions until about 8:00 PM today. Is it just a restriction for newbies or?

What would be REALLY helpful is how much can you spend?

In 1970  I had a room mate who had a '62 VW.

We had more darn fun with that thing....... :rolleyes: .......I drove it from my folks place back to Milwaukee, WI, (about 150 miles) when he wound up under the weather........the self inflicted kind....... LOL

My first car was a '59 Chevy with a 235 6 and 3 on the tree........I loved the car so much I bought another one a couple years ago and drive it a lot.

I had a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere that had the push button AT and slant 6 engine. 

You couldn't kill that engine with a sledge hammer.

Now.......the part about the money: Early 60's VW's are bringing a lot of money. Don't even bother looking for an early 60's Plymouth either. 

You probably wouldn't be interested in owning one of the widest cars ever built anyway but stay away from late 50's Chevys unless you can see them before you buy them.

That could a be a general problem with that era of GM cars.......I don't know. 

What I DO know is '59-'60 Chevs are SO rust prone in the floor and trunk pans it's hard to find one that doesn't make Swiss cheese look solid........ :wacko:

So........how much ya got to spend?  :P

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, Turismo said:

Hey all,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to this forum. As a youngster that has a major interest in automotive repair and vintage vehicles, it seems like receiving guidance in the modern world is rather difficult. I'm 16, eligible to drive in my state, and have thought about starting out with a simple classic to have a little kickstart to the hobby. Of course, as I get older I would like to deal with more vehicles and more interesting and complex ones, but things have to start from humble beginnings :D

From your avatar I'm guessing you lean towards GM, so I suggest you consider the early 80's to 90's third generation Camaro's and Firebird's. For young driver insurance and for the fact the previous owners probably didn't seriously abuse them, take a closer look at the early 90's with V6 automatics as they came with driver airbag. They are good on gas, easy to get almost any part from body panel to upholstery kits, easy to work on and with the big glass hatch and a full tank of gas they have a pretty good balance and actually handle quite well, Also with the hood closed the V6 looks as sexy as the V8, get one looking showroom new and they draw interest across a diverse age group, plus they provide an affordable starting point.

Guest Turismo
47 minutes ago, cahartley said:

So........how much ya got to spend?  :P

I guess I should have disclosed this in the OP. Right now, I could spend $10,000 at most, and honestly I could have a higher budget since my mother and I are at conflict on whether or not I should even start driving one or these yet--she wishes I would wait a year or two. But it seems like I have some viable options with this budget. 

In regards to the Plymouths, I didn't realize how wide they were. What would the disadvantages of this be? 

26 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

From your avatar I'm guessing you lean towards GM, so I suggest you consider the early 80's to 90's third generation Camaro's and Firebird's. For young driver insurance and for the fact the previous owners probably didn't seriously abuse them, take a closer look at the early 90's with V6 automatics as they came with driver airbag. They are good on gas, easy to get almost any part from body panel to upholstery kits, easy to work on and with the big glass hatch and a full tank of gas they have a pretty good balance and actually handle quite well, Also with the hood closed the V6 looks as sexy as the V8, get one looking showroom new and they draw interest across a diverse age group, plus they provide an affordable starting point.

I guess I always thought that the only decent 90s cars were those top of the line supercars like the Ferraris and McClaren. There are some good options from this date line, more specifically the Camaros. I also perceived the 90s to be the "Fall of Self-service" with cars becoming more and more complex. Would these still be within the range of a DIY owner? 

15 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

OK, really big presence of Corvair people/clubs in Oregon. Economical. 

Parts readily available. Sometimes in mass quantities of free from collectors downsizing.

True on parts being cheap or inexpensive.  I recently scrapped out two station wagons because I got more for them as scrap than others willing to pay for parts.  I also scrapped about 1/2 ton of parts that I could not sell for $50.00 for all.  Cleaning out my stash of stuff.

90's GM stuff was pretty good.  I think they all were but the supercars your talking about probably wouldn't be.  I'm sure the parts are super cheap and readilly available for a McClaren or Ferrari.  90's stuff isn't cool yet to me and It might never be since I drove them as transportation.   

I'd say screw the mileage and get something that pulls you in.  I used to drive a 72' chevelle with a 307 back and forth to work for a couple years in the early 2000's.   It got 20 mpg gallon and I beat it like a red headed stepchild.   You can get decent deals right now on 50's sedans.  Your looking at 12-15 mpg but the fun is priceless.   I've restored a couple 356 Porsches(VW drivetrain) and I had to force myself to drive them 300 miles.  And I mean force myself as they were miserable little pricks.  Now a 59' Cadillac and I'll drive all day.   Cars fit your personallity I guess.  

Your budget is catered better to a 50/60's sedan and for the right deal maybe a coupe.   Straight eight Buicks are great cars especially if you get a manual transmission.  You will get good help here and if you want to get noticed the 50's stuff does it.