SDLARS

1930 Pontiac front brake cable housing

7 posts in this topic

I'm in need of either a way to repair my existing cable housing (my nomenclature) or a source for a replacement.  Any and all help is definitely appreciated.  It doesn't appear that the design was shared with any other GM products. 20170510_094424.thumb.jpg.7729906ed6720116a867d77d39d0b293.jpg

Outer flexible jacket has generic name of conduit.  Anyways, there must be a place that rebuilds car cables for the hobby.  It looks similar to my Midland brakes on my 32 Nash.  So, maybe the conduits are same size on many makes like also Buick? 

I'd ask in the very informative Buick Prewar forum further down the main list, or wait for an answer here.

Posted (edited)

I have a used jobber conduit that you can have for the cost of shipping.  It is one designed with a grease fitting.  If you want it  It's not pretty but unless you drive your car like I do it might last you forever. Several days in a solution of molasses and water (1:10)will make it look like new, well almost like new, at least it won't be rusty. PM me your address if you would like it.  I am sure that I have others but I couldn't look for them until at least the middle of June.  I am one week past cataract surgery and one week until the next one and am not supposed to bend down or lift or even climb ladders, so it is hard to get to my labeled boxes of parts that I have collected over the last 58 years.  Just for your records the number for a complete assembly by a jobber (name unknown) is A39.  New tailored linings by Multibestos is T 402 they are 1 1/2 x 3/16 x 16 3/16.  Thermoid linings SMW 310D (28-31 Ford truck)can be adapted (three pieces would be needed to reline 2 Steeldraulic bands).

1a.png

2a.png

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sounds great but what can you tell me about the spring that is around the conduit? It appears that the spring and conduit are both broken off inside the end that attaches to the backing plate. Was the spring just to give more stability to the unit? On my good unit (just working on the front end of the car at this point) it appears that there is tension on the spring.

There's a good chance I haven't explained this very well.  I can get more photos if needed.

I'll take you up on the PM.

Edited by SDLARS
clarification (see edit history)

The spring is just to help prevent the conduit from kinking.  The original conduit was specially made so that it was exceptionally smooth and never needed lubrication. (manufacturers words not mine).  Shortly after these were new, jobbers were making replacement assemblies with a grease fitting as well as a fitting that you could clamp around the original assemblies so you could lubricate them.  My original assemblies were never lubricated and lasted about 120,000 miles before I had to make new cables but still using the original conduit.  I reused the conduit three times but since I had found a new set of jobber assemblies I put them on at 500,000 miles.

Kanter auto parts in NJ will make new cable ( I think) and also In-Line Tube will also.

You will have to send them the original and wait a little while

Thanks for the info. Always good to know. I think we have a local solution. I'll post photos if it works out.